Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Methinks there has been a lot of ink squirted in eyes here?
    I will not squirt ink in your eyes for there exists too much blindness already.

Comment

that happens when you start talking about Mings tool.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
        that happens when you start talking about Mings tool.
        At a pic of that could be posted at MZO, according to Chilean President!

Comment

For a second there I thought I'd wandered into the OT by mistake.

Comment

That´s the A/C forum for you
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

The sole advantages I can see that CFC has over Poly is that they've got a history forum, and a less ambivalent stance on the off-topic features. If it weren't for those, I'd never post there.

However the moderation there is a problem. Every time I go on the Off-topic I seem to get banned. The bastards.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

However the moderation there is a problem. Every time I go on the Off-topic I seem to get banned. The bastards
                Same here. That's generally why I stay away from the place. There's a couple of regulars there who aren't half bad and I enjoy shooting the sheit with. Yet, in general, I either seem them post else where or find that I can actually go a spell without hearing about GDRs.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                  (I won't claim to have done this for 20 years but I'm not a rookie either)
                  Gee... my staff makes those kind of manual comparisons of the numbers to the estimates to see how acurate they are all the time... like two days ago. They get paid to do just that. It's their job

Yes, that's a vague statement that many people may not find useful but that's reality for you, in real life things are rarely as simple as a single hard number --
                  So, you admit you are just making up numbers... looking at old data from non consitent periods, and guesing...

but IMO it beats blindly trusting some magic number generated by a tool that uses indirect and incomplete data any day of the week.
                  So simply guessing is more acurate than use a tool designed to make such estimates?

If I'm accurate, Alexa's claim falls well outside the scope (which shouldn't surprise anyone who knows what they're talking about) and based on what Ming has said about his tools they are probably off by a significant margin as well.
                  Yes, IF your MADE UP GUESS is correct

I have already stated that I don't believe the "absolute numbers"... But I probably have a better grasp of research and it's limititations since I've been paid big bucks do just that for over 25 years...
                  What the estimates do show consistently is that CF outdraws Apolyton by a minimum of 2 to 1. In some cases, the differnce is far higher.

It also means that if you take my judgement even remotely seriously (which I doubt Ming will but that's his prerogative)
                  If you could document data from the same time period in the last week from both sites, I might take you seriously... but how can I take you seriously when you have admited you simply guessed based on old data.

you cannot claim with any degree of certainty that Apolyton is bigger than CFC, one simply needs more factual data to fill in the blanks.
                  You can continue to ignore the facts... but there is good data out there that proves you wrong. But then again, you think guessing works better

[quote]

I know Ming will probably think I'm delusional for even considering that his infallible technology could possibly be wrong and that I pulled my numbers from my arse -- which, again, would be his prerogative --
                  First, I never called the technology infallible... you keep trying to put words in my mouth. What I have stated is that MULTIPLE tracking tools show a minimum of a two to one advantage. Even taking into consideration the margin of error, it proves the case

And second, you did admit you simply pulled the number out of your arse

but I've used these type of tools and done manual comparions often enough to know that if I have to choose between trusting my life to these tools or my own judgements, I'm screwed either way but I'm still better off going by my own judgement. Except by brute-force (which doesn't apply here) computer algorithms can rarely outperform human reasoning skills, even mine (especially if such algorithms don't have access to the same data I have access to)
                  Yeah... didn't you claim earlier that you have done this type of work in 20 years???? My staff does it daily, with the best tools money can buy.... and I know what the tolerance levels are, and what the differences can be.

Again... How much do you want to bet? I'm sure, but you don't seem to have much faith in you wild guesses based on old data...
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This is one of those threads that I regret clicking on, and feel dumber for having read it.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Meh, It´s not stupider than a flame war between Asher and Agathon...
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                        Site Stats for apolyton.net:
                        Roughly 2 million page views per day
                        terribly wrong.....
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

would you dare say

Deadly Erroneous?
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

I never claimed they were accurate... I claimed that the relative page views "over 2 to 1" is consistent with othe tracking tools... and I stand by my claim that CF gets a minimum of twice the traffic of Apolyton... whatever that level is. I'm not saying Apolyton is a worse site... because frankly, it's far better IMHO... but, CF gets far more traffic now.

I will offer you the same bet
                            Just compare notes with Thunderfall and let us know
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
                              Who could have guessed that TCO would pose a semi-serious question
                              it seems to me that GP has stopped posting serious or even semi-serious questions at least in the A/C for some time now...

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                                Is this what the strategy thread in the admin forum looks like?...

"If all the Civ stuff is better at CivFanatics, I suggest we use a nasty mod to treat the OT people like **** and continue to demean them by not having their posts count. THAT will will bring Poly back!"
                                good lord, people still care about post count?!?!

Comment

Working...
                                X