This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflecting on 7 years

With the passing of my 7th Anniversary as a member here, i felt it high time to pass on some thoughts of the my journey through this place.

I was late in joining the many fans of Civilisation and so when in early 1999 i went looking for more information on hte game i had obtained, i found the Ultimate Civ Website, which was joined by a Greek one. I joined the membership list and went to the best forum of the place Civ2 MP.

There i went in search of Australians to play the game, having spent some time on the MSN Gaming Zone site and met some people who only wanted to win and not enjoy the game.

Here at Apolyton i found people who loved the game as much as i did and werent here just to get a ladder spot increase.

The original crowd i found to play with soon disappeared but the next group i met were to be a core group of players i would encounter many times, players such as Deity, war4ever, empress and finbar.

Friendships were formed and as i discovere more of the site , i relaised some fun was at hand too. I posted infrequently at first, but then as the circle of associates grew i expanded into other forums, and even into the dreaded Off TOpic. But the OT was not the same then as it is now. IT was mainly lighthearted banter with the occasional serious debate.

But my playing of civ2 was my focal point so much of my time was spent in the civ2 area. studying the information posted by respected people and trying to understand their strategies.

After much trials and tribulations i joined the Diplo Style games and find my niche in life. Combining my two loves at the time, playing civ 2 and posting. The stories and Role playing was fantastic.

Then for a variety of reasons i left the site, not due to any problem with the site or the people, just life moved me on. So i wasabsent for a long period of time.

When i returned the forums were different. Suddenly there was more areas to freely spam in, people had posted a lot , so a fresh i jumped in and with civ3 now my game of choice, i played PBEM and posted "TURN SENT" a lot.

But still i hadnt found what i was looking for in life, and so disappeared again, not for the same period of time, cause soon i was back and enjoying the OTHER GAMES area. Hangman and Mafia were my place to post now.

After the 7 yrs of posting here, I am a Spammer at times, I am the worst for TYPOS, I am too lazy too use spel lchecker and tpye way too fast for my skill level as a typer.

But all in all the people i have met have all touched me in different ways. Now as i turn 40 in 3 months i reflect back and know that Apolyton has been influential in my life and who i am today.

So thanks to Markus and Dan for putting this place together.
    Thanks to my old Civ2 buddies and newones found in Civ3.
    Thanks to the great guys in the OTHER Games forum who allow me time to time to be a GM of a fantastic game in mafia.
    Thanks to anyone who has ever PMed me for adding a little to me.
    I hope al lthose that know me remember the good times more than the bad

A big thanks to Ming who over the years had given me PCRs ( unjustly of course ) but never permabanned me.
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Great post! It's good to have you here Ras.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Nice post. Much better than my drunken Thank You thread.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Looks like Gramps is having a good influence on Raz.

Comment

While my account says I joined recently, I lurked here (had a user account at TUC2S) while in college. Not sure when exactly I found TUC2S way back 10 years ago... (I think just before it started merging with sites, and then The First Greek Civ Site - a.k.a. Apolyton). Most of my time was spent lurking in the archives, downloading maps to play for Civ2. (Yes, I spent many a night staying up until 2am playing Civ2, AND doing college homework...)
          Come over to CFC! | My Pre-Apolyton Roots! ;)
          Civfanatics Moderator of the Civ3, Civ4 Sections and the MP Demogame
          Born in TUC2S, Raised in Apolyton, Currently living in CFC. :D

Comment

So, erm, who are you?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

He's the guy that just thanked Ming for PCRs.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Sounds a bit like Stockholm syndrome to me
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

hehehehe
                  Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

Ras

I too remember coming here as a result of publicity from another awesome game, Call To Power, when we would have 2-3 Lobbies and 30 + players on weekends.

Apolyton is made up of a family, a community of believers in gaming, even if the game is OT trolling

I would also like to say, I have yet to meet a friendlier bunch of folks from one single country than Australia's contingent here

Rasputin, you bring light to what could be a dismall experience

While not having had a PCR, I have had two vacations, which I did deserve for getting me big buns of steel on my shoulder and causing a reaction by Solver and Ming, which I learned quickly free speech is not really free when thou steppeth on toes getting to soapbox/podium

I am completing 6 years here and simply love this community

Grandpa "Sometimes Grumpee" Troll
                    Attached Files
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                      Sounds a bit like Stockholm syndrome to me
                      *Lancer takes Stockholm off of 'must see' list.

Rasputin, you seem a nice guy, I feel that I must warn you. I also used to post such threads. Full of joy and appreciation for good ol' Poly. Well. Soon after the PCRs started up, then threads started vanishing willy nilly, then....the bannings, one after another! All for no reason! Finally I've traced it back to my 'thank you Poly' threads. Since I've cut them out everything seems to have returned to what passes for normal around here.

Tis a slippery slope you're on Ras, just...be careful. You owe me one pal.

Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

April 1999 for me. So I guess that makes 7 years for me as well. As you can see this screen name is Feb 2000. That was back when I had lots of DL's. I decided to stick with this one.

And it was SMAC that brought me here. I don't remember much of the old days, so I won't post about them. And don't ask me why I'm still here. I don't know.

Comment

Rasputin sighting.

Whats the matter Ras, the beaches in Oz closed or what
                          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

What do you mean? Ras is posting often these days, at least in OG.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Yes i think some people are just looking for me in the wrong places.

To the OG forum it is.
                              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                              X