Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to have a major interface overhaul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to have a major interface overhaul?

The Apolyton forum interface is getting to be absolutely terrible. It is a chaotic mess of random links, way too much text, tacky highlighting in awful colors, etc.

Less is more, guys.

Put the least-used features behind AJAX-like links to expose them. Throwing so much text out like this is a waste of bandwidth and results in users ignoring the majority of the crap because it's so overwhelming.

I'd suggest hiring a web development firm to handle this, but apparently MarkG is the CTO of one...

Focus less on feature-creap and focus more on improving the current experience.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I mostly agree, but I wish you hadn't brought it up. It kinda guarantees it wont change.

On the other hand, Mark is playing with the layout at the moment so maybe he can work on reducing the clutter a little, as a complete aside to this thread.

Comment

Yeah. All those lines upon lines of text at the top of every page are just getting ignored by everyone(well, by me).
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Have to agree. A lot of vertical space is being wasted, above the first post, and the number of links is overwhelming.

Like, do we need a list of people in the chatroom (usually 1-4) in every thread? I understand the main forum page, but here?
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I agree with Asher and DrSpike.
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Asher speaks the truth.

Only the most frequently needed/checked links (like, oh, control panel, faq, latest announcement, maybe a few others) should be listed separately on every page. The rest could be bundled into 2-3 drop down menus.

And may I - again - suggest harmonizing the text fonts/layout somewhat. The current magnitude of different fonts and styles adds significantly to the clutter and general confusion. The same goes for the way in which certain links are highlighted/emphasized. It would be pleasing to the eye if we could settle on one single, not-too-loud means of highlighting things. Plain, ordinary bolding comes to mind.

Alternatively, the "post reply" screen where I'm at right now could serve as a model for a nicely organized, relatively un-cluttered, page layout.

Comment

I agree with Joncha.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Couldn't bring yourself to agree with Spike, could you?
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

One way to get rid of a lot of crap is to get rid of the Live Chat thing. No one ever uses it. WTF is it there?
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Another way would be to move all of those " Show a Printable Version | Email This Page to Someone! | Receive updates to this thread | Report this to Apolyton news!" links behind a smaller AJAX-style link, or move it to the bottom out of the way. They are rarely used, they shouldn't be so high on the page.

You also have several spots for news updates. Why? Get rid of the 3 entries right of the above links: "03.May: CIV4 WARLORDS AVATARS
                    02.May: `APOLYCON `06` AUDIO FEATURE PART 1/3 PROMO
                    01.May: FORUM LAYOUT CHANGES".

They just look stupid there. You already have the drop-down for that.

Another thing is to just get rid of these, or move them behind an AJAX-style navigation list. Another hint is to actually put them in an order that isn't random?
                    "control panel | search | faq | new posts | new posts: subscribed | my threads | pm (0/0) | upload file | members | photo gallery | password
                    hall of fame Civ4 AU 101 | civgroups | civgroups news | interviews | the column | radio | chat | directory | news | store | PLUS"

The "Today on Apolyton" thing at the top is also useless and annoying.

Comment

And at the bottom, all this stuff:

Support Apolyton: Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon DE | Amazon FR |
                      Support Apolyton and get FREE PLUS, Buy from Chips&Bits: Galactic Civilizations | Galactic Civilizations: Deluxe Edition | Call to Power 2 | Civilization: The Boardgame | GURPS/ Alpha Centauri | Alpha Centauri | Civilization IV | Civilization III: Complete |

Front Page | Civilization IV | Civilization III | Civilization II | Call to Power II | Alpha Centauri | Master of Orion III
                      Rise of Nations | Galactic Civilizations | Galactic Civilizations II | Misc
                      Alt.Civs | Civ I | C:CtP I | About | News | Directory | Apolyton Store | Forums | Chat | Columns | Interviews | Newsletter
                      Scenario League | CSC | Clash of Civs | Spanish Site | CtP Maps | Cradle of Civ | WesW's Ctp1/2 Site | Civ3 Haven

apolyton.net | apolyton.com | civilization2.net | civilization3.net | civilization4.net | civilizationiv.info | calltopower.net | galciv.net | galciv2.net | moo3.net
                      WTF is that? Get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                        Couldn't bring yourself to agree with Spike, could you?
                        Its not that. My EQ just bumped you up in priority.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Have to agree with less is more here.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I agree it would be nice to have some interface changes, but chances of getting them are pretty slim... unless someone does it for them???
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Since Asher has such a clear vision of what needs to be done (and probably has some relevant skills) maybe he will step up.

Comment

Working...
                              X