No announcement yet.

Holiday Avatar Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, never heard of it before you mentioned it here. In USA and probably all English speaking countries the "12 days" are no longer observed as such. Just Dec 25.

Instead half the radio stations start playing Xmas music Nov 1st.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

In the UK many still observe the 12 days, especially for decorations.

Comment

Twelfth Night, Epiphany, or whichever name you want to give it, it is pretty universally observed I think.

Twelve drummers drumming, eleven pipers piping, ten lords a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying. Five golden rings. Four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
          Nope, never heard of it before you mentioned it here. In USA and probably all English speaking countries the "12 days" are no longer observed as such. Just Dec 25.

Instead half the radio stations start playing Xmas music Nov 1st.
          No one cares about tradition anymore...
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

I have no idea what your avatar is.
            In Berlin, it passes for the green light man who lets you know when to its safe to walk when crossing the road at a pelican crossing.

Comment

Ampelmännchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                Twelfth Night, Epiphany, or whichever name you want to give it, it is pretty universally observed I think.
                Except Straybow.

Comment

Twelve drummers drumming...

Do you open presents and hold feasts and such all twelve days, or just sing the song and go to the After Christmas sales?
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Once the extra annoying emoticons are removed at Poly, does a browser's cache need to be cleared also?
                    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow

Twelve drummers drumming...

Do you open presents and hold feasts and such all twelve days, or just sing the song and go to the After Christmas sales?
                      You mean you don't have 12 days of feasting? We do, at least if you count chocolate and leftover turkey.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                        You mean you don't have 12 days of feasting? We do, at least if you count chocolate and leftover turkey.

Neither chocolate nor turkey lasts that long in my family!

Comment

• Sorry, I forgot you were American.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
                            Has this day any significance other than in Sweden? It´s the official end of christmas here.
                            Obviously not.
                            I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

• my vague impression is that here in the states its the proper date for removing christmas lights and such. I cannot claim any particular expertise in this matter however. Today, however, is the day we finished reading Berei**** (Genesis). Monday is Martin Luther King Jr day.

Happy MLK day to all - be kind to your neighbors of other races, creeds, and national origins
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Give me my normal smilies back
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X