It's A Good Place To Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's A Good Place To Go

Apolyton has been recognized in the media again, and this time it's in education's corner. From the full news report here on ACS:

It's a good place to go. This is the overly simplistic but direct advice that one senior researcher at National Research Council Canada (NRCC) offers to educators about Apolyton Civilization Site. An essay originally published on his website that makes this learned recommendation is now an article appearing in the latest issue of Innovate journal, a bi-monthly digital publication of The Fischler School of Education and Human Services at Nova Southeastern University.

In Downes' own words, "[g]ames like Civilization III are attracting increasing attention in the educational community for their potential to support learning. [..] [E]ducators who seek to understand gaming technology -— and to incorporate customized forms of such technology in their teaching -— will find the Apolyton [w]ebsite worthy of exploration. [..] [E]ducators who visit [Apolyton] will discover information and resources that can support their own experiments with gaming technology as an instructional tool". [..]

Downes contends that "[w]hat sites like Apolyton suggest... is that instead of embedding a game into learning, it is possible to embed learning into a game. By selecting an already popular and widely customizable game such as Civilization, instructors can incorporate elements from many disciplines into a format their students already spend their days playing".
    Links to where you can read the entire article by Mr. Downes are provided above.

---------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    Last edited by DanQ; August 17, 2005, 00:05.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

*Edit. I see that dan preemptively fixed the link while I was cross-posting...

---
    Good article!
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

You mean you were DanSed by DanQ?
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I can view the essay but not the article.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Very cool.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Ack, now this site apparantly is seen as a good site for educational purposes I don't want to be here anymore

We should post more offensive things here
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Learn when you play games. What more could a person ask for?
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Where was this when I was going to school. I would love to have gotten course credits for playing civ
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What are you whining about, you get payed (a lot) to be here!!

School would have been a lot more fun though, I give you that.

-
                  Good going Poly!!!
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    What are you whining about, you get payed (a lot) to be here!!
                    Paid... to be here...

Do people really think we get paid for our work here?

All the staff members do this for free
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Does Mr Downes post here?

I have serious doubts about using Civ as an educational tool. There has to be a more time-efficient way to teach scientific progression, or geopolitics. Maybe there would be some use in history lessons for showing the situation which some country or other found itself in, but it's way too simplified to do properly, even with an accurate, detailed scenario.

Originally posted by Ming
                      Do people really think we get paid for our work here?
                      No, alva was suggesting that you were paid for your time here. By your employer.
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I was.
                        I just worded it poorly.

[q=IW]There has to be a more time-efficient way to teach scientific progression, or geopolitics.[/q]

True but I'm sure it can have a real possitive effect when it comes to sparking interest.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                          No, alva was suggesting that you were paid for your time here. By your employer.
                          I spend far more time on Apolyton when I'm at home than when I'm at work Unless we have absolutely nothing to do at work, I'm usually only looking at Apolyton for a minute here or there between meetings.
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Did he mention anything about how fantastic and educational the OT is?
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                              Ack, now this site apparantly is seen as a good site for educational purposes I don't want to be here anymore

We should post more offensive things here
                              "Apolyton - It´s god clean fun. And it´s educational!"
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X