This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well said Solver, well said indeed

Civ certainly does have a way of bringing many differing types of people together from so many nations... and here at Apolyton be a great big melting pot.

my young lady and I spend a great many months each year in Sydney, and it be quite a multiracial city... I see Apolyton in a similar light

and Gramps, we not upto page 26 yet matey
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

• and here at Apolyton be a great big melting pot

More like a rat circus .
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• While I personaly really don't like the more traditional demogame - waaaaay too many rules - I had a lot of fun with the team demogame.
        It also made me a much better player.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
          well said Solver, well said indeed

Civ certainly does have a way of bringing many differing types of people together from so many nations... and here at Apolyton be a great big melting pot.

my young lady and I spend a great many months each year in Sydney, and it be quite a multiracial city... I see Apolyton in a similar light

and Gramps, we not upto page 26 yet matey
          indeed

I like the way you put it PTS..we are a melting pot here

I dont unerstand one thing though:

The OT circuit..

where did many come from?

civII?

AC?

just wondering is all

Gramps
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• If you mean the OTF posters, the core ones are, apparently, those who played Civ2 and got bored of it, or the old-timers who still play some Civ2, but have since taken an interest in OT. It seems though that recently there have been a few more people who don't play civ at all but register, this probably owing to the fact that we're actually quite a big forum now.

Back in 2001, Ming used to say that OTF posters are the old Civ2'ers waiting for Civ3. Now it's former-Civ2ers, former-Civ3ers, former-SMACers, and many others.

Comment

• ok thanks

me Im probably more like a Deity based on CTP-CIVIII and writers anonymous..er..wanna-B writer

Comment

• I came here because of Civ 3 and moseyed on down to the OT and got stuck.

OT is like a tar pit. It stinks but you can't escape it once you're in it.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Quite a few of us came from the old alpha.owo board, and thus were quite familiar with the concept of Off Topic
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski
                    I came here because of Civ 3 and moseyed on down to the OT and got stuck.

OT is like a tar pit. It stinks but you can't escape it once you're in it.

ACK!
                    and then you start to like the stink
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

• hehe, scarey that part
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

• this actually is turning into a pretty decent thread

I occassionally go to OT and when I hear about post count due to "turn 34 sent" I think about the games that get stalled when someone sent a turn but didnt post and the email gotten hyper=spaced zapped so when you post the game is tracked better

I love playing civIII and CTP but abhor slow games not the ones where someone is away but the ones where no one really plays turns like they should

Comment

• I still remember DarkCloud's prediction that I would become an off-topicer. First he said I'd be one at 5000 posts, and then at 7000 posts. I'm over that, too, and still barely ever post in the OT, unless I'm in a silly mood, or really have something to say there, which is rare. OTOH, our OT is actually a forum where you can have a decent debate, once you learn to ignore the trolls and spam, unlike other forums I have seen where any debating would be a pointless waste of time (TM).

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                            this actually is turning into a pretty decent thread

I occassionally go to OT and when I hear about post count due to "turn 34 sent" I think about the games that get stalled when someone sent a turn but didnt post and the email gotten hyper=spaced zapped so when you post the game is tracked better

I love playing civIII and CTP but abhor slow games not the ones where someone is away but the ones where no one really plays turns like they should
                            I agree Gramps, a good thread indeed

yes the tracker threads certainly are great value for keeping games on "track" (what other word )

yet in amongst all the "turn sent" comes Rasputin, a master in the art of saying nothing, yet making sure he gets the opportunity to have post his thoughts... Raz has really taken many of the tracker threads to task, encouraging players to bring out their stories, to be creative and bring the game to life... basically we are seeing people that have necer contributed to the story threads coming out of their shells and writing some great stuff. Ok, each component may only be a few lines here, a paragraph or two there, yet they merge in a great set of yarns that are a lot of fun to read and follow... this is in turn bringing others along encoiraging people to continue their stories and keep the game alive

in amongst all that it must be noted that their are several games that operate as "Silent Games", this being where no communication other than "Turn Sent" is allowed, making for strangely intriguing games

I still remember DarkCloud's prediction that I would become an off-topicer. First he said I'd be one at 5000 posts, and then at 7000 posts. I'm over that, too, and still barely ever post in the OT, unless I'm in a silly mood, or really have something to say there, which is rare. OTOH, our OT is actually a forum where you can have a decent debate, once you learn to ignore the trolls and spam, unlike other forums I have seen where any debating would be a pointless waste of time (TM).
                            Yes the OT is fun, and yes indeed some good debates are to be found within... amongst it all the OT has a valued place here in Apolyton.

I am a player of Civ, Civ III be my current home, as I look to the future of Civ IV , yet I still dabble in CTP at least once a month with a group of mates and I also play Civ II on the playstation with my brainstrust I have said it before and will say it again, long live Civ
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

• What about civ1 then?

Stumbled across the old civ folder some months ago. Despite the outdated graphics, lousy diplomacy, etcetera, etcetera the original still has a very strong grip on me

Even if I made my way all the way to the top(emperor) I see that my current strategies are much more effective the ones I used before I discovered apolyton.

Oh, does anyone know why I can't make screenshots from it?
                              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

• OK, some PBEM tracking threads are crazy, such as when Troll posts in one 170 times, and the other guy 27 .

I've got the thought recently that maybe I should also look for some other forums on the Web. After all, Civ's not my only interest, obviously, but this forum is the only one I am on regularly.

About screens from Civ1... it should work, I guess. Then again, maybe Windows 2000/XP doesn't like taking screenies of a 16bit app.

Comment

Working...
                                X