This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluating posters

I'd like to know how my posts are seen by others at times, to make them better and so on.

I just wondered how hard it would be to get somewhere in my preferences a place where people can "vote" (and change their vote) on a 0-10 scale or something. As long as I can know what the average is, I could then get an idea... now maybe it's not useful? Am I the only one who would appreciate it?

I know some boards where the most appreicated writers get some stars and different graphics corresponding to how their posts are considered (such as www.fool.com forums)

Useful only to me? Too much trouble?
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

the current version of our forum software has a thread-evalution feature which has been declared by the general population as a un-needed one...
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Quality vote? Fun, but not absolutely needed I think.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'd only be interested if we could vote for the poster, rather than the post.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

We already have a hall of fame here Diss.

Comment

Yeah, DC does a good work already. No power to the masses!
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              the current version of our forum software has a thread-evalution feature which has been declared by the general population as a un-needed one...
              Thread evaluation on other sites that I've seen does not work that well.

Comment

Eroding Journalistic Standards

This would erode the integrity and quality of the posts. Poly members would respond more and more to the pressure of the public, press, and publicity to produce entertaining posts at the expensive of intellectualism and critical thinking. Complex reasoning, provoking dialogue, and thoughtful analysis would suffer resulting in a trend of superficial postings of a comedic nature with dubious value.

Additionally, the increase use of smilies and graphics would strain the infrastructure of the Apolyton systems. Worse of all, the "popularity bottom line" would drive people to end their posts with a plea for acceptance which would cross the line of good taste. This increased competition for attention would eventually overtake all bounds of common sense and proper judgement cannibalizing all available attention spans and technical bandwidth.

In closing, how did you like my post? I hope a lot. Please take a moment to register your opinion. Thank you.
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I like post evaluation at Slashdot, but I do not think that it is suitable for Apolyton.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Personally, I could care less how many stars a thread gets, let alone a poster or a post
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I wonder how many people are going to actually give this thread ratings?
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I rate it a

Comment

Re: Eroding Journalistic Standards

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                          [b] to produce entertaining posts at the expensive of intellectualism and critical thinking. Complex reasoning, provoking dialogue, and thoughtful analysis would suffer resulting in a trend of superficial postings of a comedic nature with dubious value.
                          Some of us have mastered the art such that the concept of trade-off between those qualities is defunct. All those qualities are contained in the quasi-state exemplified by the art.

Deep meaningful posts with superficiality sheen, complex reasoning that provokes dubious value comments, and serious critiques that are comedic beyond compare are par for the course for some people.

Now, anyone got a ladder? I need to get back up my tower.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

NOT thread ratings; POSTER rating! I really like what DrSpike writes? I give him a 9/10! MarkG is a troll? He gets a 3/10!

And it's not somethign that has to be public, but simply something for oneself. Now, I'm not saying that it is essential or that everyone would use it. I simply know I'd like to get an idea of if what I bring fits, and wonder if it would be worth it. I got the idea by seeing www.fool.com and of course myself wondering how I could do better for the same cost.
                            Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Trifna
                              I really like what DrSpike writes? I give him a 9/10! MarkG is a troll? He gets a 3/10!
                              I like your examples. Burlesque is great.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X