Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have a problem with their browser going back a page after clicking on thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The light, it hurts us!"- Poly PLUS members reaction to windows of another kind.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Idiot. We don't have windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
        This has happened to me, but I think the problem is you hit a key that sends you back; that is, you have clicked outside the post reply bo with your mouse cursor, and the key you hit is set up to send you back a page.
        this is what I thought.

but at the time it went back a page, I was actually typing inside the text box. But I do think it is a certain key that does it. Or perhaps pushing the shift button and a certain key.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          If the focus is not inside the textbox, it's entirely possible that you hit a "hot key" that sends the browser back a page.

Solution: make sure the cursor is blinking inside the textbox.
          I'm cetain I had the cursor in the box at the time.

Here's my theory.

It only seems to happen shortly after opening a thread. sometimes I'll open a thread, and immediately go to the quick reply window to make a post. I think it takes a few seconds for it to process that you are in the quick box window or something. Or perhaps if you are typing in the quick box window while the thread is still loading (avatars and such take longer to load) it could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
            I thought it was only me!
            My first thought when seeing this thread, exactly.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

Can't say i've noticed anything like that...

But I also always use ctrl+a then ctrl+c to make sure I've copied the text in case something goes wrong
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Sometimes (average 5-6 times per day). No pattern noticed.
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I can't detect any pattern (as Illuminatus). I had the problem with IE, Firefox, MyIE2, Maxthon (MyIE2) and Opera, so...
                  Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

Based on what Diss said, I'd say that when you click on a thread and immediately go to the quick reply box before the page finishes loading, then that's the source of the problem. You start typing in the quick reply box while the page is loading. When it finishes loading, the browser redraws the page and you momentarily lose focus on the reply box. It is just for a second or even less, but enough to trigger the "back" action when you press "backspace" while you are typing.
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

The answer then - don't mistype, you won't need to backspace, and you won't be sent back a page.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                        Based on what Diss said, I'd say that when you click on a thread and immediately go to the quick reply box before the page finishes loading, then that's the source of the problem. You start typing in the quick reply box while the page is loading. When it finishes loading, the browser redraws the page and you momentarily lose focus on the reply box. It is just for a second or even less, but enough to trigger the "back" action when you press "backspace" while you are typing.
                        That's probably it.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                          Can't say i've noticed anything like that...

But I also always use ctrl+a then ctrl+c to make sure I've copied the text in case something goes wrong
                          damn, I wish I knew about these shortcuts. let me try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                            sounds good to me

And it explains why it happens mainly at Apolytyon. Because this is really the only forum I consistantly post at.

Comment

Working...
                            X