No announcement yet.

Update On Today's Maintainance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't know lotus domino... but my general experience with lotus (notes) databases were... well... well... uhm...

not sure lotus is free really. mysql is
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Lotus Domino is perfect if programmed by a good programmer (me )

It's much more then simple mySQL, better security, better workflow, better database system, better document management, better everything.

The thing is that it's so complex that you need a professional to do it (me )

Just got my job contract extended by 6 months.
      All drink a beer on me!
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Ha . I was faced with the task of setting up a Lotus Domino/Notes network for databases. Took me some time to figure out how the thing works, but once I did, I must say I was very pleased at how it's made .
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

If you need any help, I'm happy to give some!
          The problem for Lotus is that it is very un-microsoft.
          Microsoft users won't feel at home using the program.
          But a good programmer should be able to create a UI in which you will feel happy. For sure if you access the appliation through the internet.

But that makes Notes platform independant.
          Unix, Linux, MS, Mac, AS400, RS6000........!

Comment

Un-Microsoft? What are you talking about? Those databases are customized using code that is, essentially, Visual Basic.

Yes, well, the hardest part was the beggining, figuring out the authorization system, how and when replication takes place, that sort of stuff. After you mess around some, it becomes pretty pleasant.

Comment

You're obviously talking about a web interface on a domino-server.
              In a web-interface you can drop all html/dhtml/javascript/java/vbscript/xml you want.
              It's just a webpage.

I'm talking about the Notes Client.
              The notes client doesn't support vbscript.

how and when replication takes place

Replication..... one of the killer features Lotus brought up and the rest copied it.....
              Still think domino-replication is superior to any other kind.

Comment

Not vbscript. But Notes databases can be enhanced by Visual Basic-style codes.

Replication is smooth in Domino, very much so. As well as handling databases that are being filled in from several computers .

I remember now, Lotus was one of the pieces of software I actually heard of a loooong time before I saw it.

Comment

Working...
                X