Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted 40000 limit on maximum post size.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted 40000 limit on maximum post size.

Hello,

I'm currently in a DG and I often find myself writing long documents. Especially when putting together newspapers. My current newspaper I'm currently putting together will probably need to be cut into two, which I don't particular like since I've spent so much time on making the formating pretty.

So I was wondering what the rationale behind the 20000 word limit is and whether it would be okay to extend it to 40000 words. I find that a good solid newspaper is about 30000 words.

I understand that it may not be worth the effort, or perhaps there's good reasoning behind it. However, I just wanted to put my two cents in and perhaps convince people that longer posts should be allowed.

Oh that reminds me
    [insert blatent advertising]

Join the Alpha Centauri Democracy Game Today. For information click the link below.

I too would find it useful if the word limit were increased to 25,000 words at least. Some of my lists have to be broken up into more posts than needed and it wastes extra time posting because of the limit.
    -
    But Kody, I can probably answer your question- the limit is there so that the server doesn't get overload-flooded
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Hi Kody.

I understand the need to have longer posts than 20,000 words on occasion; that said, the limit is there to ensure that post lengths are not abused. I am not saying that you specifically would abuse it if the post limit were increased, or that I suspect you will abuse it at some point in the future where the 20,000 limit is still in place. It is amongst other things a spam curtailment effort, and indeed if the abuse of the limit were to become rampant the 20,000 number may have to be lowered.

If you are not comfortable with making two or more posts to get in the 20,000+ words you have to say on a particular subject at a particular point in time, consider summarizing/condensing what you have in a post and publishing the rest/the entire content in an attachment to that post.

----------
      Dan; Apolyton CS
      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I would imagine if you get with either Dan or Markos, they can probably increase your word limit - given a valid justification....

Comment

Oops! Sorry, cross-posted with Dan.

Comment

DanQ,

Okay that makes alot of sense. I guess it prevents people from pasting entire webpages into a post. I admit that going over the limit doesn't happen normally.

The main reason why I wanted the longer length was because splitting up the post is bad for the formatting of a newspaper. Usually the newspapers is written in several parts and then merged together into one post with spiffy formating etc.

With normal posting and arguments I find that 20000 words is usually enough as even the most extensive arguement can only go for 15000 words before you run out of steam and need to stop and recoup.

Comment

What spam ever goes above 20000 characters?
              Most spam I see is just a single line or three, while the larger posts are all game-related stories, news articles and the like. I don't think I have seen any abuse related to post-length.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Thanks for your understanding, Kody.

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                What spam ever goes above 20000 characters?
                Most spam I see is just a single line or three, while the larger posts are all game-related stories, news articles and the like. I don't think I have seen any abuse related to post-length.
                It was an example, Skanky, and the first that came to mind -- probably in part because of the volume I wade through on a daily basis.

I haven't seen or heard of any abuse related to post-length on Apolyton's forums to date and I don't ever want to. It is possible and conceivable, though: the copy and paste function works quite well. That said, a more pertinent point to this end is that HTML is allowed in forum posts and the 20,000 word limit can curtail a substantial amount of abuse that might otherwise be seen.

------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Kody, maybe you could make it an HTML document and upload it somewhere?

I have seen its beginnings though, and breaking it up probably wouldn't give it the same effect.

Comment

Ok, no worries Dan.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Yeah I know, but I perfer to have it on apolyton. Even if there's a big chunk in the middle that makes it look ugly.

Also it appears that Honghu's poem wasn't actually her poem and she didn't ask permission to post it from the person that wrote it. That was 7000 words alone and since I'm taking that out, I might be able to get it down to 20000 words after all.

Comment

You could make this hypothetical HTML document look like a forum post

Comment

#2, is it?

This isn't a democracy

Comment

Yep, Tass is right, clearly a #7
                            Play hangman.

Comment

I haven't seen or heard of any abuse related to post-length on Apolyton's forums to date and I don't ever want to. It is possible and conceivable, though: the copy and paste function works quite well. That said, a more pertinent point to this end is that HTML is allowed in forum posts and the 20,000 word limit can curtail a substantial amount of abuse that might otherwise be seen.
                              I suppose the real fear here then is that someone might go on a 'quothing' rampage and waste server space by quoting large posts 20K + characters, and then responding to them with another 10K character writing.
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X