Missing old friends & Reminiscences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntiFash Gordon View Post
    So, tell me the full story of The Nine Heads of Ming, someone.

What I understand is, he had some people over, there was drinking, it was a paahhtay. Some guest -eight or nine, I think- discovered Ming's computer logged on to Poly - and posted filth as him.

Markos banned Ming for a couple weeks, or something like that...

​​​JR was one of the heads, I just was told.
    Probably best if Ming does the honors. It was a Chicago area Poly meet-up at Ming's that included out-of-towners like Zopperoni, here from the Netherlands for a (iirc) business conference. I was there; I participated.

Your understanding is not really wrong, but "posted filth" is simplistic and inaccurate. "Participated in active threads" would be closer. "Trolling as Ming" closer still. This was back when active moderation was still a thing.

If the actual threads are gone, you will have to rely on the memories of people who were all drunk and/or high. I doubt I could name more than about 5-6 participants...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Crabbe's Uncle View Post
      -Speaking of Finns, Nikolai claims to no longer be 16, and is allegedly married to an actual woman. I've got a pic somewhere.
      Norwegian, if I may. And I've somehow grown to become 35 years of age, having been 14 when I registered. Also, Astrid is the best thing that ever happened to me. And she's very real.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

AH.

HastyWedding.jpg
        -I believe that's Astrid on the left.

I did him a SMACX custom faction as a wedding present - the Believers w/ Miriam changed to him.

believe2.jpg
        Yes, in the wedding dress. The girl in the middle is my sister.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin View Post

Except Nikolai was Norwegian. Well, probably close enough.

I suspect many of us Civ geeks are less geek now. Yes, including myself. But yes, Nikolai sure felt young back then.
          The Finns speak funny, though. Much like Solver, but even less intelligble. I'm not sure if I am less of a geek or not, but I am certainly getting older...

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post

Probably best if Ming does the honors. It was a Chicago area Poly meet-up at Ming's that included out-of-towners like Zopperoni, here from the Netherlands for a (iirc) business conference. I was there; I participated.

Your understanding is not really wrong, but "posted filth" is simplistic and inaccurate. "Participated in active threads" would be closer. "Trolling as Ming" closer still. This was back when active moderation was still a thing.

If the actual threads are gone, you will have to rely on the memories of people who were all drunk and/or high. I doubt I could name more than about 5-6 participants...
            Pretty sure this thread was the main reason Ming was stripped of mod powers for a week. I recall the ban only lasting for a day.

Guess the real ming.png

Allegedly In attendance
            Ming
            Rah
            Theben
            loinburger
            -JRabbit
            H Tower
            chegitz guevera
            bunnygrrl
            barry1723
            ​​​​​​​
            Also, I really miss that Moo3 color scheme

Comment

Damn, I feel so old. In a few short months I'll be closer to 50 than 20 when I first started posting here. Where do the years go?
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I was not that active in the OT but mostly playing diplomacy and the story threads, but damn. It's mind-blowing to hear of so many that have passed away. It's been almost a quarter of a century and yet a lot still feels like yesterday.

Comment

i am still drinking... page 14 on member list... and honorable mention, nice
                  Last edited by My Wife Hates CIV; February 18, 2022, 22:13.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                    Guess the real ming.png

[snip]
                    Also, I really miss that Moo3 color scheme
                    I totally could do a theme off that, if you're not picky - better with more screenshots from that theme, especially one of an index page...
                    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

...In progress, to the point it's mostly usable, Shall I leave it as default in this folder?

No pasarán

Comment

Done, I think.

Those of you fond of clicking on the logo to go to the root index; for things-broke-I-can't-get-at reasons, it's a background image up there, but the current logo is still there, just tiny - if you click on the left of Saturn, you're golden.

No pasarán

Comment

-I've been dicussing the theme with Solver this morning, and we agree that it would be more agreeable if it was bluer. The logo would work, if anything, better that way, and I do love the logo.

Any thoughts from whomever about faithfullness -and it's not all that faithfull to begin with- verus prettiness?

No pasarán

Comment

Also?

There's a Bananna theme now.

BanannaTheme.png

They are dancing.

No pasarán

Comment

Just as well post about old friends here, too -tell stories, whatever- someone else might have an email address that's good if you say who you'd like to hear from...
                              I miss many people who used to come here. Probably the one I miss most is PaddytheScot or Paddy. It broke my heart when he succumbed to kidney disease.

There are others that always opened my mind to different ways of thinking. Spiffor comes to mind here. I wonder where he is today and how he is doing. It is so hard to find people that can disagree with you in such a thoughtful way...
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

what happened to Xin. i think that was his name. a very good CIV ii player.

Comment

Working...
                                X