No announcement yet.

NFL 2014 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite what you say, obviously YOU care.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
      Seahawks are quiet. Kinda weird to not be excited about free agency in a year where you're really invested, unlike last year where the FA was fun.
      That's how I felt as a Blackhawks fan this year - no real changes to the team. But, that's what you hope for when your team was good enough to win it all and keep most of the team together - since it means you go into next year with a good chance to repeat
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        27 of the 95 posts in this thread so far have been about the Chicago Bears or a recently released former Bear.
        Maybe you should try to get some of your Philly fans to sign up

The Bears fans are well represented.

But as Snoopy pointed out... this is a NFL thread, not some fantasy thread. Post your fantasy arguments in that thread. This is about real football.

And feel free to post all about your favorite team. THE BEARS FANS DO!
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
          I must admit, I feel sorry for all those heavily devalued RBs. Tough sledding for some talented athletes.
          I've felt that way since I looked up average salary for top 5 paid and average career length for whatever argument was going on however many years ago. Shortest career and only paid more than TE's and K's, iirc.

Originally posted by Sava View Post
          Lies and mistruths.
          Your face is lie and mistruth!
          Last edited by ColdWizard; March 19, 2014, 11:54.
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
            I've felt that way since I looked up average salary for top 5 paid and average career length for whatever argument was going on however many years ago. Shortest career and only paid more than TE's and K's, iirc.
            RB's also take a beating physically.

Darren Sproles is actually in his 10th season and while he doesn't get many carries, it is impressive that he is still so dynamic with 9 seasons in as a 5'6" 190lb RB.

Fun fact about Sproles: his nickname growing up was 'Tank' because he was a large baby (~10lbs).

Sava's criticism of Sproles is silly because it's based on what he's not. He's not an everydown back so don't judge him by that measure. The Eagles have McCoy and Bryce Brown to be those. Sproles provides that offense with another weapon. It's like the Eagles trading for Brad Smith. Brad Smith isn't a good WR but he's a versatile and explosive player that they can use in returns, to run wildcat plays, and be an emergency QB. Smith means more to the Eagles than he could ever be as a pure WR.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Sproles is literally the most overrated player ever in the NFL. Literally.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Sava, hyperbole doesnt stress how much you dislike him
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  Sproles is literally the most overrated player ever in the NFL. Literally.
                  A guy traded to the Eagles for a 5th round pick who is getting paid the same contract as Shonn Greene...

is overrated?
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Here is the list of the 13 proposed rule changes for next year:

1. Move kickoffs to the 40-yard line, from the 35, where it is now. (NO)
                    2. Making all personal fouls reviewable. (Make game longer?)
                    3. Eliminating overtime in preseason games. (Fine by me)
                    4. Extending the goalposts vertically by 5 feet on each side. (ok)
                    5. Moving extra-point attempts to the 25-yard line, making it a 43-yard try. (This was proposed by the Patriots.) The competition committee separately is proposing one preseason game this season where extra-point snaps will take place from the 20. (NO)
                    6. Adding six cameras to all boundary lines on the field to supplement TV camera angles. (Good idea)
                    7. Allowing any officials' decisions to be challenged by coaches, not just specific kinds of plays. (Fine, as long as they don't add more challenges)
                    8. Protecting players from getting their legs rolled up on from the side — and not just from the back — as a penalty. (OK)
                    9. Allowing the referee to confer with members of the NFL officiating department in New York at the league office during replay reviews. (Just do what the NHL does - much quicker!!)
                    10. Changing review rules on the recovery of a loose ball — aka, the "NaVorro Bowman rule" from the controversial NFC championship game non-call — in the field of play. This would including reorganizing the replay section of the NFL rulebook. (Which, frankly, needs it.) (YES, YES,YES.)
                    11. Keeping the clock running on quarterback sacks at all times of the game. (I see lots of holding down QB by defense to use up time)
                    12. Changing pass interference so that it can be called within a yard of the line of scrimmage. (OK)
                    13. Enforcing defensive penalties behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, instead of from the end of the play or from the spot of the foul. ( I like this one).

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                      Anyway, mocking Devin Hester's agent should be something every football fan shares in
                      Who's laughing now?

Falcons agreed to terms with KR Devin Hester, formerly of the Bears, on a three-year contract.
                      Financial details are not yet available, but it's the end of an era for Hester, who spent the first eight years of his career with the Bears. One of the greatest return men in league history, Hester remained near the top in both punt- and kick-return average last season. Hester is a pure return man at this point — he offers nothing on offense — but could be a difference maker for a team that lacked a spark on special teams in 2013.
                      Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter - Mar 20 - 3:18 PM
                      Amazing. Can't wait to find out the contract details.

Also, MRT -- looks like a Jared Allen signng is imminent in Seattle.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• As Mike Vick visits the Jets, the Eagles begin feeling out trade partners for Desean Jackson, chiefly the Jets. Marty Mornhinweg who spent 10 years as the Eagles' offensive coordinator/assistant headcoach is the o-coordinator of the Jets.

The Panthers, also interested in Jackson, have signed the immortal Jerricho Cotchery to begin the post-Steve Smith era. The Panthers have lost nearly their entire WR corps with Brandon LaFell (Patriots), Domenik Hixon (Bears), and Ted Ginn (Cardinals) all leaving in free agency.

Comment

• I dont know what allen is doing but if he signs for a reasonable amount, that'd be awesome.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• His options are limited at this point.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Matt Schaub traded to Oakland for a 6th round pick not long after the Texans sign Ryan Fitzpatrick to a 2-year deal.

Schaub is the 4th recent QB Oakland traded picks to acquire, succeeding Jason Campbell (4th round pick), Carson Palmer (1st and 2nd rounds), and Matt Flynn (5th round).

Hasn't been an effective strategy for Oakland so far. Any reason why it would work this time?

Comment

• Nope.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X