NHL Playoffs thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
    This just gives Vancouver the opportunity to lose on Sunday now, when he's here to share his shame.
    Why ? Does Ben's ban expire? I don't really recall the details or the term ( heck until the playoffs started I had not been here in a few months)
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
      Well you were 9% less sure!! ON Weber I think they looked at what he did as not much different than a punch to the face. In game end scrums, those happen a fair bit with little consequence and I think they just saw this as a little worse than that
      As a non-hockey fan, it seems more of a move for a bar fight or a mugging than something within the confines of a sporting event.
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
        Why ? Does Ben's ban expire? I don't really recall the details or the term ( heck until the playoffs started I had not been here in a few months)
        I think his ban is up on Saturday.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• It's hard to believe that any GM would trade for Luongo.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• The only situation I can forsee is a struggling scorer on a decade long expensive contract, a straight-up trade of one disaster contract for another.

More importantly is I think it's safe to say Schneider is not hanging around in Vancouver next year.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The only situation I can forsee is a struggling scorer on a decade long expensive contract, a straight-up trade of one disaster contract for another.

More importantly is I think it's safe to say Schneider is not hanging around in Vancouver next year.

The pundits seem to think this means Vancouver will re-sign Schneider and look to deal Luongo-- The Fan today proposed that there are only 4 teams they see as possible

Tampa
              Florida
              Toronto
              Columbus

The last two were seen as longshots while they seemed to think a Tampa deal would be pretty easy snce Luongo probably makes them a playoff team right away

Everyone assumes that Vancouver is making Scneider "their guy" and there is NO WAY he goes elsewhere

Oh and your contract scenario sounds right-- The pundits said that Schneider would likely garner a first round pick if traded where Luongo would be more a salary dump where they need to take a contract back

Starting Cory Schneider sure to have aftershocks. But a Luongo trade won’t be easyApril 18, 2012. 1:40 pm • Section: The White Towel
              ShareThis 197 6054
              Increase Font SizePrint PageRSS Feed
              Posted by:
              Jason Botchford
              Recent Posts From This Author
              Starting Cory Schneider sure to have aftershocks. But a Luongo trade won’t be easy
              Posted on Apr 18, 2012Is one practice really enough for Daniel Sedin? Doesn’t feel like it
              Posted on Apr 17, 2012Daniel Sedin scheduled to practice but him playing is no safe bet
              Posted on Apr 17, 2012Canucks Hat Trick: Quick’s had it easy, Sedin doing his Toews, Edler’s lost his mind
              Posted on Apr 16, 2012

LOS ANGLES – In the win-or-go-home game, the Canucks will go with their backup.

Well, you can actually stop calling Cory Schneider the backup. Two playoff starts in a row means those days are behind him.

In a decision that is sure to have lasting implications, head coach Alain Vigneault will start Schneider instead of Roberto Luongo, once the captain and the core of the team.
              “Whichever decision I made would have been the right one,” Vigneault said. “But without getting into the specifics of why Cory is playing tonight, I’m confident he’s going to have a good game.”

Vigneault had a face-to-face meeting with both goalies Tuesday night. His decision to go down Marblehead Road could change the face of the franchise.
              Luongo chose not talk with media, but this will be hard for him to deal with. He was the starter for Game 1 of the playoffs. He played two games, was great at points, consistently good and made just a handful of mistakes.
              This isn’t about his play. This is about the team believing that Schneider is better. And if the team feels that way now, why didn’t it feel that way to start the postseason?

It’s a good question. And will be reversed if Schneider wins tonight and the Cancuks go back to Luongo for Game 5. Don’t for a second think that’s not possible.

For now, through no fault of his own, Luongo has lost his spot as the team’s definitive No. 1 goalie. It’s hard to imagine him wanting to play another year in Vancouver under these circumstances.

Why would he want to come back and split the position, or worse be resigned to being the backup, if Schneider does prove he really is better?

The Canucks took away Luongo’s goalie coach Ian Clark a couple of years ago. They reduced his workload dramatically, even though he has always said he loves to play. And now, he’s benched for the two biggest games of the year, a decision which had to involve GM Mike Gillis with strong input from goalie coach Rollie Melanson.

So to sum up, they fired his coach, cut his games and took away his job in the playoffs, which he lives for. Being a pround man, at some point he’s going to say enough is enough.

“I’m not surprised at all,” Schneider said. “Nothing surprises us anymore. We both have to be ready for anything.
              “After playing last game, I thought there was a chance I would play again.
              “We’re both professionals and grown men. We can handle anything they decide.”

Moving forward with Schneider tonight is yet another clue they are planning move forward with him next year.
              A Luongo trade will not be easy. If he does tell the team he wants out, he’ll select a few destinations for the Canucks to choose from. Tampa would be on the list, probably Florida and some wild cards, maybe Detroit. It won’t be long.
              Luongo is singed until 2022. That’s ten more years.
              Coming back with both goalies next year can’t be totally ruled out, but it seems terribly unlikely right now.

If Luongo is gone, life will change for Schneider who would be the starter for the first time in his NHL career.
              “I’ve been a starter at other levels, I played 60 games in Manitoba,” Schneider said. “I understand, it’s not the NHL. But you have the same ups and downs in that season as you would in any season.
              “It’s harder to be perfect over more games.”
              And we all know Vancouver demands their goalies be perfect!
              jbotchford@theprovince.com
              Stay tuned
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Would the Canucks be able to trade Luongo?
                DAVID SHOALTS

There are still many questions surrounding the Vancouver Canucks even though they managed to stay alive in the NHL playoffs save one – is Roberto Luongo still their main man?

Luongo’s up-and-down career with the Canucks is almost certainly in its final weeks now that the Canucks’ organization, from general manager Mike Gillis and head coach Alain Vigneault on down, turned to emerging goaltender Cory Schneider for the last two games with the team’s season on the line. Schneider served notice Thursday he is ready for the No. 1 job with 43 saves in a 3-1 win, the Canucks’ first against three losses in their playoff series against the Los Angeles Kings.

The irony is that Luongo, who tormented Canucks fans for years with performances that ranged from awful to good to great with little in-between, finally lost his job despite playing well. He was not the problem in the Canucks’ first two losses to the Kings but Vigneault turned to Schneider because the team needed some sort of change and the players have a lot of confidence in the younger goaltender.

The only question now is can the Canucks trade Luongo, 33, and the 10 seasons left on his contract, with a salary-cap hit of $5.33-million (all currency U.S.) per year? While there was some thought the Canucks might find it easier to trade him when the Vancouver Province reported there is an out in Luongo’s contract, it turns out that is not the case.

The only thing related to an out in Luongo’s contract is a modified no-trade clause. Within 48 hours of his team’s last game of the 2013-14 season, Luongo can provide his team with a list of five teams to which he would approve a trade. The trade would have to be done between July 1 and July 15 or by the end of the 15th day after the free-agent period opens. In 2018, if Luongo does not provide a five-team list within 48 hours after the last game of the 2017-18 season, his team can trade him to anyone prior to Sept. 1, 2018.

Aside from getting him to waive his no-trade rights, the Canucks only options with Luongo next season are to buy him out, which will cause too many cap problems to consider, or waive him through the NHL, send him to the minor leagues and pay his full salary for the next 10 years.

This does not leave Gillis in an enviable situation. He can either settle for the league’s most expensive backup goaltender next season or find someone desperate enough for goaltending to take the contract as long as Luongo agrees.

Looking around the NHL, strictly from the standpoint of who needs goaltending, the candidates are the Tampa Bay Lightning, Toronto Maple Leafs, Columbus Blue Jackets and Edmonton Oilers. An argument could also be made for the New Jersey Devils, given Martin Brodeur’s advanced age, but their financial problems rule out taking Luongo’s contract.

Lightning GM Steve Yzerman stuck with ancient Dwayne Roloson this season after getting unexpected dividends a year ago and took a kick in the slats for his trouble.

The Maple Leafs are also in the conversation since GM Brian Burke is always watching whenever a prominent player is up for grabs. There is a poisonous relationship between Burke and his right-hand man Dave Nonis, who are both former Canucks GMs, and the current Vancouver boss, Mike Gillis, thanks to hard feelings about how Nonis was fired by the Canucks.

That relationship meant a trade for Schneider, who was long considered trade bait for other assets, was never in the cards. But given the difficulties for Gillis in unloading Luongo’s contract and if Burke has another rash move in him then anything is possible.

The Oilers are the least likely of the group to be interested in Luongo, although the Blue Jackets are an intriguing possibility. They desperately need to appease their fans and the only way to get a top goaltender this summer, thanks to a thin free-agent market, is by a trade.

Gillis would certainly be happy enough to shed the contract that the price would not be high. In fact, Gillis will probably have to take at least one problem contract in return.

Luongo’s cap hit of $5.33-million is not all that bad, but taking on 10 years of contract on a 33-year-old goaltender is not an appealing prospect. Also complicating matters is the fact a new collective agreement is expected this fall and no one knows what the salary cap and contract implications will be.

There is another problem, too. Luongo has never really lived up to the Hall-of-Fame potential once forecast for him. Any GM who rolls the dice had better feel pretty secure in his employment and there are precious few who do these days.

Comment

• So many good hockey games.

also, sooooooooooo many facebook posts from people back home (PA) about pens/flyers.

Comment

The only situation I can forsee is a struggling scorer on a decade long expensive contract, a straight-up trade of one disaster contract for another.

This.

He is much more likely to go than Luongo.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• **** you
                      **** me
                      **** him
                      **** her
                      **** this
                      **** that
                      **** everyone
                      **** everything
                      **** everywhere
                      **** **** **** **** ****ity **** **** ****
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• My sympathies.

Comment

• 25 games for Torres.

He is fortunate to be under contract for next season. If he were not he would likely be at the end of his NHL career. He may still be depending on what his club elects to do. They could buy him out.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• In a move that surprises no one, at least one Classy Canuck has been quoted as saying 25 games is "way too much"

Comment

Working...
                                X