No announcement yet.

NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently Albie won't be back until the games start on Sunday. We're still waiting for the excuses!

Comment

• Phooie on a $1 bet! I want signatures and avatars!
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• You want? What have you got to do with this bet, Officer Punky ?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Just in from Yahoo Sports...

Saints player suspensions overturned on appeal; ‘Bounty Four’ free to play this Sunday

A three-member panel has overturned the suspensions handed down to four players by the NFL in the bounty case, and all four suspended players -- New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma, defensive end Will Smith, Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita, and at-large defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove -- are free to play this NFL season. It is a crushing defeat for the league and Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Hargrove had been released by the Green Bay Packers on August 24, but his availability could have the Packers re-thinking that decision. Vilma had been suspended for the entire 2012 season, while Fujita was hit with a three-game ban and Smith was set to be out four games.

The original appeal ruling, given by arbiter Stephen Burbank, opined that Goodell was within his authority to suspend the four players for alleged "pay-to-injure" schemes and other pay-for-performance actions. Per the panel ruling, Goodell can re-suspend the players if there is concrete evidence of a pay-to-injure scheme, but he will have to be much more proactive about actually producing evidence this time. The panel did reportedly rule that there was evidence of pay-to-injure during the 2009-2011 timeline, but what evidence that may have been is still unknown.

"Consistent with the panel's decision, Commissioner Goodell will, as directed, make an expedited determination of the discipline imposed for violating the league's pay-for-performance/bounty rule," the NFL said in a statement. "Until that determination is made, the four players are reinstated and eligible to play starting this weekend."

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reported that while Goodell will work to rule again, he will not do so before Week 1 of the regular season.

If Goodell wanted to, he could say that all the suspensions were solely for pay-to-injure, and re-implement all of them as they were. and it's important to keep in mind that if the players are unhappy with the new suspensions, they can seek legal redress in the New Orleans court of Judge Helen G. Berrigan. Berrigan, who recently heard arguments in the NFL's appeal of Vilma's defamation suit against Goodell said that she wanted more information from the league, but that she would likely wait for the panel ruling before making a decision of her own.

The Saints are the biggest winners here, as they will get Smith back against Robert Griffin III and the Washington Redskins. Smith is the Saints' most effective pass rusher, and under new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, New Orleans' defense is not expected to blitz as often as they did under former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who is serving an indefinite suspension for his part in the bounty scandal. Vilma is currently rehabbing an injured knee, and Fujita is a depth player -- albeit a valuable one -- at this point in his career.

Saints coaches and executives, including head coach Sean Payton, general manager Mickey Loomis, and assistant coach Joe Vitt, will remain suspended at this time because they were not part of the appeal filed by the players.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• In other news, Chris Kluwe and Brendan Ayanbedejo are pretty awesome, and some Maryland state delegate is not.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              You want? What have you got to do with this bet, Officer Punky ?
              I could have alot to do with it! 'Boys or Bears? Who has the better record at the end of the regular season?

Terms: Top line of signature and Location or Avatar or Handle from the end of the regular season to the start of regular season 2013. You got enough balls for that old man?
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Where oh where do I sign for the Bares Vs cowgirls bet.

I'll do siggys for year no problemo.

Your siggy if you lose: I suck cowboys azz.
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                  I could have alot to do with it! 'Boys or Bears? Who has the better record at the end of the regular season?

Terms: Top line of signature and Location or Avatar or Handle from the end of the regular season to the start of regular season 2013. You got enough balls for that old man?
                  Oooh. OK. I'm not going to put some idiot avatar and sig line though. I won't ask it of you and I won't do it. I think Ben (or Spaced) is your man on that kind of bet.
                  But I'll tell you right now, the Cowboys record will be better than the Bears.

BTW, I have a friend and his girlfriend that just started into trucking. They absolutely love Wisconsin.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
                    Where oh where do I sign for the Bares Vs cowgirls bet.

I'll do siggys for year no problemo.

Your siggy if you lose: I suck cowboys azz.
                    Sure. Top line of sig and location from end of regular season to start of the next regular season. You're on. Nice that some Texan was willing to step up to the plate.

Comment

• Step up to the plate? So you want a Rangers bet, too?

Comment

• None of the teams Donegeal cares about is a threat to the Rangers.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Who? The rangers? HS football doesn't count.

Comment

• Besides, IMO, the rangers bet should have come at the beginning of the season. Now is too late for that.
                            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• Just in case no one noticed...

Former Lions, Cowboys, and Bears wide receiver Roy Williams has retired.

Williams announced his decision on his Facebook page. The Texans had him in for a workout in late July but were just doing their due diligence.

Williams cites his trade to Dallas as a turning point in his career, "Put up good numbers my first few years, went to a Pro Bowl then I got to Dallas and it stopped... The grass ain’t always greener on the other side." Williams is content on hanging up the cleats and spending time with his sons, even though he didn't exactly go out on his own terms. He ends his career with 393 catches for 5,715 yards and 44 touchdowns.
                              Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram
                              Sep 8 - 8:45 PM
                              44 career TDs ain't too shabby. Imagine if he had good hands, motivation, and work ethic.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• It's not like he didn't have a chance in Dallas. Dallas wanted a homeboy to do well. He blew it. I hadn't seen that he was quitting though.

Comment

Working...
                                X