No announcement yet.

NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: boxing. It's not just the fights, it's the sparring, too. Sure, they can wear headgear, but they're still taking many blows to the head. The hard punches add up, even if they fall short of KO power.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
      Re: boxing. It's not just the fights, it's the sparring, too. Sure, they can wear headgear, but they're still taking many blows to the head. The hard punches add up, even if they fall short of KO power.
      Olympic boxers wear headgear. Prize fighters don't. That's another thing.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
        Re: boxing. It's not just the fights, it's the sparring, too. Sure, they can wear headgear, but they're still taking many blows to the head. The hard punches add up, even if they fall short of KO power.
        And in football it is usually the multiple number of hits not just one hit in particular.

Comment

• I'll say one thing for the new CBA: it certainly has eased the annual pain of getting the early draft picks signed and into camp.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Bears really haven't had a problem with that in last few years. Stein gets most of the guys signed before camp begins.

Comment

• League-wide, the difference is huge.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I hope the Bears make a run at Kellen Winslow.

Comment

• Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
                  I hope the Bears make a run at Kellen Winslow.
                  For what? They want to use the tight end now?
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Yep. No more Martz means the TE will be active.
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Winslow is damaged goods. But yeah, they will clearly regret dumping Greg Olsen.

Comment

• Kellen Winslow was traded to the Seahawks. They now have a bunch of TE's.

Comment

• For a seventh round pick that could change to a sixth rounder. Interesting for a guy who despite a history of injuries still played in every game for last three years.

Comment

• Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
                            For a seventh round pick that could change to a sixth rounder. Interesting for a guy who despite a history of injuries still played in every game for last three years.
                            I've always thought veterans are often undervalued when it comes to trades and overvalued in FA; contact values are often the reason for this but Winslow doesn't seem very expensive at an average of $4.43 million over the next 3 years. That's around what Greg Olsen will be getting and Olsen is no Kellen Winslow.

Production the last 3 years:

77/884/5TDs
                            66/730/5TDs
                            75/763/2TDs

I know now a days that's like middling production for a receiving TE but that's pretty damn solid. Funnily enough, Kellen Winslow is knocking on his dad's career numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                              Winslow is damaged goods. But yeah, they will clearly regret dumping Greg Olsen.
                              I'm not sure where it is now, but back when they traded Olsen I complained because I was guessing (hoping) they were going to get rid of Martz after last season and we would be needing Olsen this year.

And Al, I'd rather have Olsen than Winslow. Not that we have either...
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Winslow is better than Olsen but is two years older. They're both so-so blockers but Winslow is a much better receiver. In Cleveland, he had game-changing ability that Olsen doesn't have in his dreams and he still outperforms Olsen by a wide margin. Olsen gets you 45/550 even in Chudzinski's TE-friendly offense, Winslow gets you 75/750 and the possibility to dominate defenses with his physical prowess.

I think you're really sleeping on how good K2 is, especially considering the Cleveland QB 'talent' that passed to him in his best days. He has his father's ability just in the modern era where that play isn't as impressive.
                                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; May 22, 2012, 17:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X