No announcement yet.

Greatest of All-Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll never get a Chicago fan to agree with you on that.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Jordan was a great basketball player (probably the best ever), but if he was such a great athlete, why wasn't he a good baseball player?
      Jim Brown, Jackie Robinson and Bob Gibson, among others all excelled in two or more sports.
      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        Well if we defining athlete that way, I'd have to say that the Human Highlight Film, Dominque Wilkins was more athletic than all the rest of the NBA players .
        If we're going there, then I would vote Julius Irving for basketball.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
          Jordan was a great basketball player (probably the best ever), but if he was such a great athlete, why wasn't he a good baseball player?
          Jim Brown, Jackie Robinson and Bob Gibson, among others all excelled in two or more sports.
          Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders, as well. Deion could play all over the field in football.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

He didn't tackle, period. He made the statement that he wasn't paid to tackle. Great coverage back, but seriously, doesn't that statement put "half-ass" in your thoughts?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              He didn't tackle, period. He made the statement that he wasn't paid to tackle. Great coverage back, but seriously, doesn't that statement put "half-ass" in your thoughts?
              Half-assed and still had a Hall of Fame career? Sounds like he deserves the greatest athlete title.

He was a return man, played DB and WR and ran the ball a few times, he played baseball... Deion did it all. Stop hating, Sloww, just because you don't like a dude's personality. If we're shifting this in favor of multi-sport athletes, Deion is there.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm not shifting it. I don't think it's hating to say he refused to tackle, wasn't much of a baseball player but excelled as a cover CB.

Comment

Deion Sanders got steamrolled by a quarterback, Dave Brown, of the Giants.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    I guess it depends on what one means by best athlete. As in best physical specimen or best player in an athletic sport?
                    I'd argue that the best player may not be the most athletic player. When I think of Wayne Gretzky, I am more amazed by his awareness and precision than his speed and agility and toughness.

Classic example: Tiger vs Jack. I think it'd be impossible to argue that Jack is more athletic than Tiger but I certainly think he's a better golfer, which either says something about golf, or the importance of athleticism in golf.
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I haven't read every post, so if I missed something, I apologize.

Are you talking about Tiger Woods as relates to Jack Nicklaus? That Jack kicks Tiger's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        I haven't read every post, so if I missed something, I apologize.

Are you talking about Tiger Woods as relates to Jack Nicklaus? That Jack kicks Tiger's ass.
                        Absolutely, but I think it's inarguable that Tiger is in better shape and physically more fit than Jack.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Based on the choices given I would still go with Jordan, but if we open it up and are talking about best athlete, then I would go with Jim Thorpe. He proved he was good at multiple sports. I do wonder how good Walter Payton was at other sports.

Comment

Working...
                          X