Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest of All-Time?

This is a poll at CSN Chicago today:

Who do you think is greatest athlete of All- Time?

Muhammed Ali
    Michael Jordan
    Babe Ruth
    Jim Brown
    Wayne Gretzky

I'll go with Michael.

Gretzky, followed by Jim Brown.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Muhammed Ali. The others were great, but part of a team. Ali excelled all on his own.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Babe Ruth. 714 home runs and a career ERA of 2.28 w a record of 94-46.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Well sure, but he was hopped up on booze, broads and cigars.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well sure, but he was hopped up on booze, broads and cigars.

That makes it more impressive, not less lol. But i'll go with greztky even though i don't watch ice soccer.
            "

Comment

People still care about Babe Ruth?

I'm going with Cassius off of sheer impact. You have to consider that Jim Brown and Babe Ruth mean nothing outside of the US and Gretzky means nothing outside of the few countries that care about hockey. That leaves Jordan and Ali but Ali had a cultural impact that Jordan could never achieve. Ali was a symbol in the time of the civil rights movement and an icon internationally.

After his release, Mandela said: "Ali's struggle made him an international hero. His stand against racism and war could not be kept outside the prison walls."
              Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 18, 2012, 03:21.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                Gretzky, followed by Jim Brown.
                Gretzky was not even the most physicaly gifted hockey player or athletic, just the best.
                Last edited by MRT144; January 18, 2012, 04:11.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  People still care about Babe Ruth?
                  Why the heck not?! He's the greatest baseball player of all time. Has the highest Wins Above Replacement in history, the highest OPS+, and was a great pitcher before all that.

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                  Gretzky was not even the most physicaly gifted hockey player or athletic, just the best.
                  I guess it depends on what one means by best athlete. As in best physical specimen or best player in an athletic sport?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Most baseball players in the old days weren't really athletes as far as I was concerned. Babe is a perfect example. Abound with talent, but not especially athletic.
                    In football the average offense only runs around 60 plays a game and played less than 20 games a year. Jim only touched the ball about half the time. Strength was more important.
                    Hockey players usually only play just more than a third of the game. (granted those are usually very intense 20 minutes)
                    Ali only averaged 3 fights a hear over 20 years.

Great basketball players will go strong for at least 40 minutes a game over 90 times a year. So I go with Jordan. (see how biased Chicago fans can justify this. )
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Jesse Owens
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        Most baseball players in the old days weren't really athletes as far as I was concerned. Babe is a perfect example. Abound with talent, but not especially athletic.
                        In football the average offense only runs around 60 plays a game and played less than 20 games a year. Jim only touched the ball about half the time. Strength was more important.
                        Hockey players usually only play just more than a third of the game. (granted those are usually very intense 20 minutes)
                        Ali only averaged 3 fights a hear over 20 years.

Great basketball players will go strong for at least 40 minutes a game over 90 times a year. So I go with Jordan. (see how biased Chicago fans can justify this. )
                        Yes, but Jordan is a huge freaking douche that was allowed to "retire" for a couple of years, instead of being banned, for gambling. Plus, no other sport, ever, gives it's superstars more favoritism than the NBA. They always show that shot of his against the Jazz, every time I see the blatant push he used to get open.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Jim Thorpe
                          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                            Yes, but Jordan is a huge freaking douche that was allowed to "retire" for a couple of years, instead of being banned, for gambling. Plus, no other sport, ever, gives it's superstars more favoritism than the NBA. They always show that shot of his against the Jazz, every time I see the blatant push he used to get open.

ACK!
                            The question was greatest athlete

Yes, Jordon had issues. Yes he gambled, but not on basketball if I remember correctly. And YES the NBA likes it's superstars. I can't wait for Derick Rose to get a little more love from the refs.
                            And Finally YES, the NBA has it's fair share of Douche's. MJ was just one of them. But he was one hell of an athletic specimen.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well if we defining athlete that way, I'd have to say that the Human Highlight Film, Dominque Wilkins was more athletic than all the rest of the NBA players .

Comment

Working...
                              X