This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
    The rate+ column is rating index not rating. It does not say what exactly rating index is though, just 100 is average (for that year?), higher is better.
    This is what I found from the site:

the league average for that stat in that league during the three-year period with the given year in the middle. For example, the "league average" for the 1963 AFL would be the aggregate average of the stats accumulated in the AFL from 1962 to 1964. (NOTE: the 1960 AFL and the 1969 AFL, as well as the current season, will be based on only two years worth of data rather than three.)
    So it's indices based on the 3-year average around the year.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Here's a hypothetical to demonstrate why a simple average can not be used for functions:

Attempts/Yards/Yards per attempt
      50/300/6.0
      300/1200/4.0
      75/350/4.66
      250/750/3.0

If you add and divide the Y/A's as Sloww erroneously suggests, you get 4.42 Y/A.

If you do it the right way and add up attempts and yards separately, you get 675 attempts and 2600 yards which comes to an average of 3.85.

This happens because the function (Y/A) is not being weighted as it should based on the divisor (A). The average on a year with fewer attempts is not equivalent to the average on a year with more attempts.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• "Who more the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?"
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
          "Who more the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?"
          I am following Sloww how?

This is Apolyton. Where is the mockery of Sloww? We mock Oerdin for similar mess. Instead, I get attacked for demonstrating that Sloww has no idea what he's talking about.

Comment

• Grossman keeps talking:

"You know I've been on a lot of good teams in my career," Grossman told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon on SiriusXM radio. "And it's hard to say this, but we were a pretty damn good 5-11. You didn't really want to play us. And there's a lot of areas you can improve: the quarterback play needs to be better, a lot of different other areas, an explosive offensive player, maybe an explosive defensive player here and there. But generally speaking, I think the foundation has been set for a really, really, really good team.

"And our record doesn't show that, so it's hard to kind of say I'm not full of [expletive]. I'm not sure if I can say that on the radio or not. But I really feel like we're a good team. And our record didn't prove it. But a few pieces here and there, might be an explosive team."
            did Grossman forget he was the QB?

Grossman is sort of right, though. The Redskins were a pretty good 5-11 and they did sweep the eventual Super Bowl champion Giants (). Very good defense, an improved o-line, a nice stable of backs, and solid receiving options. Just need a QB.

Comment

• That's pretty much what Rexy said. Actually, for an athlete, it's an uncommonly clear-eyed view of himself and his team.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                Umm... you need to go back to statistics in school. That's not how you do that. You can't just sum and divide to average. Passer rating is a FUNCTION.
                As a former math major I actually agree with Al on this one. Uh, oh.

Comment

• You fool! I'm not creating a passer rating. I'm telling you the average OF PAST PASSER RATINGS. Documented. Not made up by me. THE AVERAGE.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    You fool! I'm not creating a passer rating. I'm telling you the average OF PAST PASSER RATINGS. Documented. Not made up by me. THE AVERAGE.
                    Wow. I already explained why you're wrong. I gave a hypothetical to show how you can't average functions like that.

This is the second time you showed an incapacity to understand statistics. Remember when you jacked up Brandon Jacob's and Ahmad Bradshaw's rushing average?

Comment

• Call it mean, call it median, call it average. Call it whatever the **** you want to call it. I don't really care, Al.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Slowwy, you are being pretty derptacular.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                          Slowwy, you are being pretty derptacular.
                          This is how he always is. I think he's doing what he claims I do and not comprehending what I say to him but just arguing. I can't see how I didn't explain his error well enough.

Comment

• So where does everyone plan to watch the Superbowl?
                            I just got a brand new 60 inch Panasonic Plasma so I'll be enjoying it at home.

I hope Alby will be in a bar with his new facebook stalker.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I'll be happy to help break in your new set...
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                                So where does everyone plan to watch the Superbowl?
                                I just got a brand new 60 inch Panasonic Plasma so I'll be enjoying it at home.

I hope Alby will be in a bar with his new facebook stalker.
                                I'm hosting my 11th straight Super Bowl party. Usually a good time.
                                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X