Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because of the Jets' reputation as a strong defensive team with a run-first offense, I don't think people appreciate just how much Sanchez is asked to throw the ball. Last year, Sanchez averaged 31 pass attempts a game (9th most in the league). This year, 34 per game (again, 9th most). Usually, when young QB's throw that much, they have issues. Look at Josh Freeman this year compared to last. Look at Joe Flacco. His completion% has gone up, he's thrown more TD's (not to mention, having 6 rushing TDs this year), and he has actually improved this season by traditional statistical measures (though his Y/A declined after the 59 pass attempts against the Giants).

Which emphasizes the point. Why was Sanchez throwing 59 times against the Giants? In four games, Sanchez threw 40+ passes and none of them were games where the opponent took a big lead (hell, against the Broncos, the Jets led throughout).

Only once this season did Aaron Rodgers throw 40+ passes in a game. I understand the Packers were rarely behind but the Jets weren't exactly down big in those games where Sanchez threw a lot. In fact, when the Jets were blown out, against the Eagles, for example, Sanchez only threw 26 times.

Sanchez will have to be able to win games throwing but he's still a young QB and while Stafford balled out this season, fellow draftee Josh Freeman had a terrible year in arguably a similar situation offensively. (Whereas Freeman was asked to throw a lot BECAUSE OF the terrible Tampa defense, Sanchez was asked to throw a lot DESPITE the slightly above average Jet's D; yes, blame Schotty)

Then there's clutch Sanchez. He's won games in the 4th quarter. Pro Football Reference gives him 9 4th quarter comebacks and 11 game-winning drives in his 3 years.

Then there's Sanchez in the playoffs. Sanchez has a 94.3 QB rating in the playoffs with 9TDs and 3INTs.

Sanchez has shown enough in the playoffs and with the games he's won in the 4th quarter to show he belongs as the starter.
    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 2, 2012, 05:58.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• The fact that you've turned from Sanchize Promoter to Sanchez Apologist says it all, Alby.

1. A good QB can execute any game plan.

B. Sanchez has had 3 full years and has shown little if any improvement over his native skillset.

III. Sanchez is not a horrible QB, but I don't think he's inspired confidence in his teammates, which is a key intangible. If I was building for a Super Bowl run, I would definitely be looking for options. And I'm sure Coach Ryan is doing just that.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Colt have the #1 pick. Would they trade Peyton? Would the Jets be interested?

Peyton Manning a Jet? With Eli already a Giant, it would be called New Manning City. Archie would be in heaven.
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• We already have a thread for this.
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• The first coach goes.

Bucs fire Morris

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have informed coach Raheem Morris that he has been fired, reports Jason La Canfora.

Head coach Raheem Morris and his entire staff have been fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to team and league sources.

Morris was with the Bucs for three seasons, compiling a 17-31 record.

The Bucs later confirmed Morris' firing, via the team's official Twitter account. The team also announced that there will be a news conference at 3 p.m. ET.

"We want to thank coach Morris for all his hard work and dedication as head coach of the Buccaneers," Bucs co-chairman Joel Glazer said in a statement.

Bucs general manager Mark Dominik added: "I have a lot of respect … for the passion coach Morris gave to our team, but this change is one we felt was necessary."
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              In NFL history, prior to this season, there have only been 22 4500 yard passers, starting with Fouts in 1980. This year? Brees, Brady, Stafford, Eli Manning, and Rodgers hit that mark. 22 before this year; 5 this season.

Passing league like a mother****er.

Cam might even hit that mark next year. After all, he's the first QB to throw for 4000+ and run for 500+ (he ran for 706). Pretty insane that a rookie QB could account for 4757 total yards and 35 touchdowns.

It's like as impressive as Bradford was last year, Cam had to up the ante. Boy will the pressure be on for Andrew Luck
              If they keep handcuffing the defense, not being able to hit QB's and WR's, this will continue to happen. Yes, there are some good
              QB's but with the current rules it is now a passing league and offense, not defense, will win games for you (which the Bears have to figure out).

Comment

• About Schotty since Koyaan brought him up:

Breaking: Brian Schottenheimer will be interviewing for head coaching vacancy in Jacksonville, per source.
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Where we doing the playoff picks at? A new thread or the pick 'ems thread?

Comment

About Schotty since Koyaan brought him up:
                    LOL

Get the latest NFL news coverage, highlights, scores, schedules, and announcements about the NY Jets. Explore now for ✔today's NFL updates.
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Anyone saw Drayton Florence's dive?

This is getting silly now. It's like the NBA out there.

Comment

• Oh, and: bye bye, Bill Polian. Hopefully that means he's off the competition committee too.
                        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
                          Oh, and: bye bye, Bill Polian. Hopefully that means he's off the competition committee too.

Really?! I thought if anyone would go it would be Caldwell. Polian! wow.

Comment

Anyone saw Drayton Florence's dive?

This is getting silly now. It's like the NBA out there.
                            Actually, reminded me of soccer.

Now let's get some fresh posts up here so we can move to another page. I hate the perma-GIF; very annoying.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                              Actually, reminded me of soccer.

Now let's get some fresh posts up here so we can move to another page. I hate the perma-GIF; very annoying.
                              Really? I prefer it over video because you can't embed NFL.com video, youtube video can always get taken down for copyright infringement, and videos are pretty long and it may take some time to get to the critical part. A gif shows what I want to show right there with no hassle for anyone.

Comment

Really?! I thought if anyone would go it would be Caldwell. Polian! wow.
                                His son, too. Most of a decade too late, given his damage to the game, but...oh well. Records for everybody, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X