Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've found Bears fans everywhere I've lived. Hell, my brother is a Bears fan.

But, really, this whole argument is stupid.

The Rams and Raiders didn't fill seats in LA, partly because the coliseum is really old and partly because there are a lot of other things to do in LA in November and December.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Anyway, can we talk about something else? There's some hot topics like AP's injury, Cam Newton being the all-time rookie passer (and what that means for running QB's in general, including Robert Griffin III), Reggie Bush finally looking like a 1st round pick, the St. Louis Rams (and not the Colts!) may wind up with the 1st round pick!!!, etc.

It's like if it doesn't involve the Bears, no one wants to talk football. We need Ben back
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• LA is PROOF that it takes more than simply a lot of people... so his whole argument, and yours is simply BS. It goes beyond simple population.

And as far as you not seeing a National Base for the Bears, you don't have enough real life experience to even have an opinion. I've seen a national following for the Bears when I travel.
        I've been to just about every state in the Union, and have found Bear fans on game day no matter where I am. And I never claimed they had the following of the Cowboys or Packers, but I have claimed they are up on the list, and not near the bottom as you and Imran are making up. Look it up... the facts show the real story... and you two are simply wrong.

And one more time ALBY, please explain how two conference titles and a super bowl appearance in the past 5 years is not relevant.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          Anyway, can we talk about something else?
          I can understand why you would want this... since you were wrong.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Look, I think it's an age thing. I don't personally know any Bears' fans. I wouldn't be surprised if Imran and Ozzy didn't know any either. What do we have in common? We were born around when the '85 Bears played! There's probably an older national fanbase because of that past success and Walter Payton, but my generation only knows the Bears as being a boring, slightly below average, 7-9ish team, akin to the Seahawks.

I take your 2 conference titles and SB appearance and raise you only 4 playoff appearances in 17 years!!!! One more than the Cardinals. Good on Chicago for making the most of it when they get to the postseason but 4 playoff appearances in 17 years is frankly an embarrassment.

I'm 25. The Bears have only made the post-season 4 times since I was freaking 8 years old. My generation knows the Bears as a defense with no offense, no excitement, no star players, no QB of note (who the hell played QB before Rex Grossman? Seriously. I have no idea without looking it up), just a ho-hum approach to football, and a perpetual 7-9 record.

Hell, if they lose their next two games, the Bears will go 7-9 for the 3rd time in the past 5 years!!! That is exactly what the Bears are. The manifestation of (slightly below) average.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I'll put my two cents in on this one. Being a science fiction fan I know people in many different cities, not only my age, a little older than Ming, but in their twenties and thirties as well and some who have college age kids. There are many Bears fans among them and quite a few of them are not from the Chicago area. You find lots of Cubs fans around the nation and many of them tend to be Bears fans as well. Yes, many of them are from Chicago, but as I said before, many are not.

Yes, Bears will probably go 7-9 this year again, however, as in those other years they have had lots of injuries to key players. When they have been healthy, esp. under Lovie, they have made the playoffs. BTW, heard the stat that they have never lost a game 15 under Lovie. I expect that to change tonight.

Comment

Anyway, can we talk about something else? There's some hot topics like AP's injury, Cam Newton being the all-time rookie passer (and what that means for running QB's in general, including Robert Griffin III), Reggie Bush finally looking like a 1st round pick, the St. Louis Rams (and not the Colts!) may wind up with the 1st round pick!!!, etc.

It's like if it doesn't involve the Bears, no one wants to talk football. We need Ben back
                AP sucks, but doesn't matter this year.

Cam Newton- great year hope he keeps it up in the future, doesn't mean much of anything for running QBs. Doesn't really matter this season.

Good for Reggie Bush, doesn't matter this season unless he goes for 200 against the Jets.

Rams, will matter in another month and a half, when the season ends.

All things you want to talk about are irrelevant in the current season.

Romo's hand is something to talk about.

Tebow sucking it up yesterday.

Ahmad Bradshaw running Brodney Pool over yesterday.

Brandon Jacobs should shut up.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Chicago ex-pats create home-away-from-home Bears games in the south and southwest, especially in towns that have easy ticket availability. Lots of season ticket holders travel as well. Similar thing happens with NY teams -- retirees move to where it's warm but maintain their fandom. Not to mention the working-age crowd, also trending to move south over the past few decades.

No one moves to Philly unless they have to.
                  Last edited by -Jrabbit; December 25, 2011, 18:56.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• A Saturday night MRI confirmed that Adrian Peterson tore both the ACL and MCL in his left knee.

Reconstructive surgery will be delayed until the MCL heals, allowing doctors to operate on the ACL. The postponement is significant because Peterson's injury occurred so late in the year. It's possible that Peterson will be a candidate for the PUP list to begin the 2012 season. The odds will be against him playing in Week 1.
                    Toby Gerhart just became relevant.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I don't think neither the Rams nor Raiders left LA because they couldn't fill seats. Not sure how he's contradicting himself.

I don't see the Bears having a national fanbase. Look, I'm in Philly, Imran was in Jersey and now is in Atlanta, Ozzy (who also expressed similar sentiment) is in DC, and none of us see how the Bears have a national fanbase. You're just exhibiting homerism with an apparently lack of beyond the Chicago-area experiences in this regard, Ming.

The Bears are high in the rankings because there's a lot of people in the Chicago area. They may still have some older national fans because of Walter Payton but the Bears do not generate national fandom the way, let's say, the Cowboys or Packers do.

You and Imran are both whores. Who the two of you like at any given time matters none.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Anyone watching the Bear/Packer game?

Go Cubs Go!
                        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Aaron Rodgers has thrown 45 TDs to only 6 INTs!

He also has 3 rushing scores.

Insanity.

Comment

• So predictions?

MVP: Aaron Rodgers
                            Offensive Player of the Year: Drew Brees
                            Defensive Player of the Year: This is a tough one. Jared Allen, Jason Babin, and Ware are all over 18 sacks on the year which is bananas but they all play on crappy defenses.
                            Offensive rookie: Cam Newton
                            Defensive rookie: Von Miller
                            Coach of the Year: Jim Harbaugh
                            Comeback Player of the Year: Reggie Bush

Comment

• Just a comment on the most popular team debate...

I have found the Steelers fans to be the most loyal and fanatical whereever I go. Bears fans are next. Good or bad...Stars or no stars, the Steelers' and the Bears' fans will knock a hole in you if you bad mouth their team. That is what a true football fan is all about!!
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• 1) Ming's hysterical rantings are always hilarious. He turns into Kidicious in football debates.
                                2) Yes, Al is right in that I have never met a Bears fan in real life. Met plenty of Cowboys fans though. And Raiders fans (for whatever reason).
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X