• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Yahoo...

Scouting Notebook: Smoke and mirrors
    Michael Salfino

By Michael Salfino, Yahoo! Sports 6 hours, 44 minutes ago

We have to start with a quarterback who doesn’t play well but who shows a lot of moxie when it matters most and continues to lead his team to victories despite spending most of his Sundays looking like anything but a competent NFL signal caller. That T.J. Yates is really something, isn’t he?

Yeah, we have to talk about Tim Tebow again. Is it interesting or just boring how he enables everyone to plausibly continue to think what they think about him? Personally, I’d settle for him proving me wrong by just being good, period, so we can move on. But he still generally stinks, there is no denying it. Quarterbacks can’t control onside kicks and opposing backs running out of bounds when the game is basically over or the play of his defense or dumb fumbles or coverage breakdowns or guys making 60-yard field goals. … They are responsible for producing offensive points per drive and Tebow needs to get a lot better to even be average in this regard.

Defenses bail Tebow out late in these games by playing soft zones like he’s a real quarterback. Generally, prevent defenses are effective at trading clock for yardage, but they are unadvisable against a poor thrower like Tebow. The Jets did it a few weeks prior to his touchdown on a full blitz and the Bears followed suit yesterday. Why not continue the same defense that’s been killing Tebow?

Yet people bash Tony Romo, the anti-Tebow who has every slightest error magnified and overblown despite extraordinarily good performance generally. Giants-Cowboys was not a great game. Am I the only one sickened by the way defenses were in Madden Beginner mode all night?
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I said it weeks ago, there's only a few QB's that I'd take over Romo. The posted Passer Ratings here near the end bear out my thoughts. It's the only thing that takes all into account, as much as possible.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        I said it weeks ago, there's only a few QB's that I'd take over Romo. The posted Passer Ratings here near the end bear out my thoughts. It's the only thing that takes all into account, as much as possible.
        Eli Manning's better than Romo. I think you need to add him to your list.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• He's 3 or so below. At least he was when I posted that ratings.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

He's 3 or so below. At least he was when I posted that ratings.
            Eli is far far far more clutch.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Net Points comparison:

New England Patriots 122
              Baltimore 118
              Houston 122
              Denver -33

Green Bay 188
              New Orleans 129
              SF 125
              Dallas 36
              Giants -25

Comment

Net Points comparison:

New England Patriots 122
                Baltimore 118
                Houston 122
                Denver -33

Green Bay 188
                New Orleans 129
                SF 125
                Dallas 36
                Giants -25
                Are you bright?

Points scored:
                Giants: 324
                Cowgirls: 317

Points allowed:
                Giants: 349
                Cowgirls: 281

Now you're blaming Eli for his defense? Really? The Giants offense has out-scored the Cowgirls'. And how bout all those 4th quarter comebacks?

Comment

• Some music for the thread:

Comment

• nm
                    Last edited by SlowwHand; December 13, 2011, 08:32.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Now you're blaming Eli for his defense? Really? The Giants offense has out-scored the Cowgirls'. And how bout all those 4th quarter comebacks?
                      Fair is fair, Al. If you can give Tebow credit for what the Denver Defense does, Sloww can blame/credit Eli/Romo for what the Giants/Dallas defense does.
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                        Fair is fair, Al. If you can give Tebow credit for what the Denver Defense does, Sloww can blame/credit Eli/Romo for what the Giants/Dallas defense does.
                        This also makes Hanie a pretty fair backup as he nearly won all of the games he has lost so far. :vomit:

Comment

• I mentioned how Urlacher, the sore loser and ***** that he is, wanted to talk smack about Tebow and how classy Tebow was in his response... This is what the great Steve Young had to say:

"I thought it was so cheap of Brian Urlacher to [talk about] how he lost to a running back," Young said. "To me … he did it to you. He Tebowed you. Just take it like a man and walk away. You lost your shot."

Comment

• Agreed. I understand he was pissed off, heat of the moment and all, but Urlacher is usually a lot classier.

Kind of a shame.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• What gets me is how many players talk so reckless about Tebow. I posted an article before about the Lions players talking a lot of trash like:

"Can you believe ’15’?" Come on – that’s embarrassing. I mean, it’s a joke.... In the second half it got boring out there. We were like, ‘Come on – that’s your quarterback? Seriously?’"
                              I have never seen NFL players talk so much **** about another NFL player before; not like that. Saying someone is overrated or you're going to beat them is one thing, but these are personal insults AFTER games. I haven't seen this before.

It's like playing against Tebow is bringing the worst out of people

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                                Agreed. I understand he was pissed off, heat of the moment and all, but Urlacher is usually a lot classier.

Kind of a shame.
                                He subsequently killed Marion Barber
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X