No announcement yet.

College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To me that is all irrelevant. They fired a coach that sucked. Good for them.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
      To me that is all irrelevant. They fired a coach that sucked. Good for them.
      It just reminds me of Notre Dame. Except the Illini don't have the same built in recruiting advantage that ND does.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• But once the teams gives up on you, it's time to go. And if you had watched the last game, it was pretty obvious. Letting that mentality continue on for another year would have long term impact.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

But once the teams gives up on you, it's time to go. And if you had watched the last game, it was pretty obvious. Letting that mentality continue on for another year would have long term impact.
          When did Zook start? 2005? I'd say the cake has already baked on long term impact.
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
            The ultimate point is that yes, new blood might help the Illini win more but there is no evidence that the AD, President, etc etc know how to find talent given that they hired Zook in the first place.
            I look at Wisconsin and Alvarez. They changed the culture. Same thing (to a lesser extent) with Northwestern and Barnett/Walker/Fitzgerald. Those programs had been perennially pathetic. Better to try until you succeed than to wallow in failure forever.

It's a new AD and President, BTW. Do you really think they should just do nothing???
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              I look at Wisconsin and Alvarez. They changed the culture. Same thing (to a lesser extent) with Northwestern and Barnett/Walker/Fitzgerald. Those programs had been perennially pathetic. Better to try until you succeed than to wallow in failure forever.

It's a new AD and President, BTW. Do you really think they should just do nothing???
              Maybe. How much is it costing them in the aggregate to change things and what is the net benefit they can realistically project?

And think of this in terms of there being X amount of wins available per season. To be at the top of the heap you gotta fight other giants. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisky would all have to drop off severely to allow for more possible wins.
              Last edited by MRT144; December 1, 2011, 15:51.

Comment

• Actually with Michigan and Nebraska in the other division it's not that bad. Ohio state could be in trouble, and Wisky is pretty new to this so what's to say the Illini couldn't improve.

You're basically saying that since they have sucked they will can only suck. That is silly.
                In basketball the big10 lost a lot of years in a row to the ACC. The last few years have shown that things can and do change.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Actually with Michigan and Nebraska in the other division it's not that bad. Ohio state could be in trouble, and Wisky is pretty new to this so what's to say the Illini couldn't improve.

You're basically saying that since they have sucked they will can only suck. That is silly.
                  In basketball the big10 lost a lot of years in a row to the ACC. The last few years have shown that things can and do change.
                  In general there isn't much variance between historical and recent school records in football. Basketball is a different beast entirely.

Comment

• Please produce some statistics. You're also stating that good teams never have slumps. (think ND) And dooming a team to everlasting mediocrity because it was never great in the past, is just silly.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

To me that is all irrelevant. They fired a coach that sucked. Good for them.
                      Regime change is a good move only in cases where the new regime is significantly better than the previous regime.

US foreign policy applies well to college football, and I shant hear otherwise.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Actually with Michigan and Nebraska in the other division it's not that bad. Ohio state could be in trouble, and Wisky is pretty new to this so what's to say the Illini couldn't improve.
                        1. OSU won't be down for more than another year, tops.
                        2. Wisky is hardly new to this; they have been a major power player in the conference for well over a decade now.
                        3. You also have to deal with Penn State, just kidding
                        4. You will still have 3 games a year against some grouping of Neb/Mich (oh ****!), MSU/Iowa (crap!), Minny (lololololol), plus a yearly game against a decent NW program.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• The Man is keeping us down!
                          We're being oppressed!
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• 10 years is a short time in the grand scheme of things.

We won't be able to judge the new regime for awhile yet.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Wisconsin has been good for nearly 20 years now (I believe 1993 or 94 was Alverez's first Rose Bowl).
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• 34 TDs This season.
                                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X