College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    I saw one of The Only Colors guys complain that ticket prices were collapsing on StubHub and he should have waited to pick tickets up; he had no idea. If you paid more than negative 75 dollars you've been had.

Stubhub is currently showing a whopping 38 pages of tickets totaling 9000(!) seats starting at ten bucks. Almost 15% of the stadium is currently being hawked on a single website. This is "sold out" in an extremely technical sense.
    The lack of Michigan State turnout doesn't surprise me, but I thought Wisconsin was supposed to have a decent fanbase...

Comment

Again: Carr was not pushed out. He wanted to retire
      Sorry dude, but I just don't buy that.

Comment

• One of my friends from med school is still in Ann Arbor, and goes to the same church as the guy. He didn't exactly keep it a secret that he was looking to retire. He never wanted to be JoePa.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• It sure seemed like he was being pushed out at the time for not staying competitive with Ohio State, and I don't see how RichRod even gets the job if Carr was still as influential as you suggest. You may indeed be right, but I'm pretty skeptical.

My point about the risks of coaching searches stands no matter what actually happened at Michigan, though. Fans always think they're going to get a significant upgrade, but the opposite happens more often than not, with all the lost years and heartache that entails.

Spoiler:
          edit: Totally forgot about Appalachian State, the team that ensured Carr would be "retiring" at the end of the 2007 season.
          Last edited by Tupac Shakur; November 30, 2011, 12:33.

Comment

• Now that, I agree with.

We were pretty ****ing stoked to get RichRod.

We started chugging Drain-O when we got Hoke.

Surprise!

Comment

Again: Carr was not pushed out. He wanted to retire, and remained a powerful force in the Athletic Department, many feeling that he actively undermined RichRod. I doubt that very much, but he was not pushed out.
              I buy this based on the fact Carr was able to get his assistants contracts that extended a year past his own. Carr went out classy, taking care of those who worked for him and making sure they would have a cushion to fall on.

Comment

• My point about the risks of coaching searches stands no matter what actually happened at Michigan, though. Fans always think they're going to get a significant upgrade, but the opposite happens more often than not, with all the lost years and heartache that entails.
                This I can totally agree with but I'll temper it with changing THINK to HOPE
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• URBAN MEYER!!!
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• The thing that I love about Ohio State is that our failure is rewarded over and over again.

Institutional control lacking? Fire a great coach and get a great coach in return.
                    Lose to Michigan? Half of Michigan alumni dies from stroke/aneurism
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• You shant be rid of me so easily.

Comment

You shant be rid of me so easily.
                        That was a great game, definitely what the game should be like, and Ohio State just didn't have time to get the win. I'm not so broken up about it as I would be other years but that's mostly because I wasn't expecting a win, and there was no Cooper style collapse.

Comment

• Zombie Guynemer
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Mike Leach is heading to Washington State, not UCLA. Sadness...

Comment

• A smart Illini fan...

It was a mistake to fire Zook.

Especially at this time. Yeah, I get it, fans aren’t happy that he lost his last six games, and his overall Big Ten win/loss record is hardly flattering, but Zook broke even. He finished 6-6 last year (7-6 if you count the bowl win), and he finished 6-6 this year and Illinois is bowl eligible and, depending who they play, has a good chance to finish with the same record of 7-6.

I could understand firing Zook next year or in 2013. I just think it is incredibly unwise to fire him now. Illinois fired him at a time when it seems like everybody else was firing their coach. Even worse, there’s nobody out there. There’s Chris Peterson, but it’s more likely he’d stay at Boise State, or take the UCLA or Penn State job. Homerism aside, there’s nothing that Illinois can offer a “splash” coach (Peterson is the only legitimate “splash” out there, or Kevin Sumlin) that bigger, more stable programs can’t.

Illinois now has to compete with Penn State, UCLA, Arizona State, WSU, Ole Miss, Kansas, and others. The timing of this fire is incredibly short-sighted on Illinois’s part. Who can Illinois possibly get that is any better? More importantly, what can they offer? It’s not exactly the most attractive job in the Big Ten. Illinois would have been better off waiting a year for all the coaching vacancies to be filled and then making a run at 2012’s hottest coach. There are hot coaching commodities every year, but there aren’t a lot of them. That’s what Illinois has failed to realize.

Comment

• Who is your favorite to be Illinois’ next coach?

Follow my logic: Illinois football... Dick Butkus... Beer and Brats... Da Bears... Mike Ditka... Mustaches... Dave Wannstedt. That's the answer. The Fighting Illini need Wannstedt, a proven coach with a power 'stache and physical brand of old-school, Midwestern football. Wannstedt is an outside-the-box hire who may not get the base excited; but the 59-year-old would be a perfect fit in the Big Ten and especially at Illinois, a middling program that won't be able to land one of the top coaches on the open market.

Comment

Working...
                                X