College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    So you're saying that if this had all come down at the time of the occurences (child rape, cover-up), you'd be fine with the outcome? The fact is, whether by intent, willful neglect, or a conspiracy, this tragedy was allowed to continue across multiple decades.

The facts of time passage, death, and imprisonment don't exonerate the school or suggest lesser consequences. Penn State continued to reap the benefits of their program (wins, bowl appearances, recruiting advantages, alum donations) throughout those years. Meanwhile, an old lech was granted full run of the facilities to recruit his victims.

If the institution had stepped up and put a stop to it, we would have had a short conversation, years ago, about one evil guy who was rightly jailed for his transgressions, and the program would have continued with minimal penalties.

But that's not what happened.
    So in order to reach beyond the grave and punish the coach, all existing students that had no association or knowledge of the events will be expected to finance the fungible fines and refund all bowl proceeds. Pure over reach by a body with no standing or authority. Another instance of moral cowardice masking itself as a tough guy organization sending a message.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Oh, FFS.

The NCAA said the $60 million was equivalent to the average annual revenue of the football program. The NCAA ordered Penn State to pay the penalty funds into an endowment for "external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university."
      The Big Ten fully supports the NCAA's actions, saying in a news release it is condemning and censuring the school for "egregiously" failing on "many levels -- morally, ethically and potentially criminally."

The conference also will place the university on a five-year probation to run concurrently with the NCAA's and has declared the football program ineligible for the Big Ten championship game for the four years in which the NCAA banned the Nittany Lions from postseason play.
      Emmert had warned Penn State last fall that the NCAA would be examining the "exercise of institutional control" within the athletic department, and said it was clear that "deceitful and dishonest behavior" could be considered a violation of ethics rules. So, too, could a failure to exhibit moral values or adhere to ethics guidelines.
      The money, actually a small amount for Penn State, will be put to appropriate use.

Big 10 agrees with the NCAA.

Penn State was warned and STILL said nothing.

I'd say that the biggest question is, who will fans support now? Pitt? Lehigh? Slippery Rock?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I've said repeatedly that I understand that POV completely.

It's a shame that the individuals with knowledge and authority allowed this non-football tragedy to affect their judgment of what was good for the program and the university. Because THEY certainly behaved as if the events and the knowledge thereof threatened Penn State football.

Karma's a b1tch.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I've said repeatedly that I understand that POV completely.

It's a shame that the individuals with knowledge and authority allowed this non-football tragedy to affect their judgment of what was good for the program and the university. Because THEY certainly behaved as if the events and the knowledge thereof threatened Penn State football.

Karma's a b1tch.
          And there is a proper recourse available for those culpable in criminal and civil venues. The NCAA and big ten are cowards merely posing as pious tough guys to cover their own butts.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
            And there is a proper recourse available for those culpable in criminal and civil venues. The NCAA and big ten are cowards merely posing as pious tough guys to cover their own butts.
            What does the Big10 have to do with this? They haven't done anything to PSU, I don't even think the conference has power over member institutions to do anything. I guess they did remove Paterno's name from a trophy. Big whoop.

Comment

• What do you want to do? Dig up Paterno and desecrate the body? Besides that, there were UNIVERSITY people that failed. You know, people who in theory were above a football program.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Actually, the Big 10/11/12 did take "action" today.

The conference said Penn State will not be allowed to play in the Big 10 championship game for the next four years, and that the school’s share of money that Big 10 conference affiliates split when their teams make bowl games will go to children’s charities.
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I know. I said they supported the actions. Penn St. is under separate probation than the NCAA's. I really can't see why anyone can't see that the NCAA had to do something.
                  Emphasis on "HAD TO".

Comment

• It wasn't enough.

$60 million fine? pffft. Done and paid before fotball starts. Not significant.

The loss of 10 scholarships is going to hurt.

Bowl ban for 4 years? pffft. You already took 10 scholarships. The team should be bad for the next 4 years anyway.

Players allowed to leave without penalty? OK, thats a good move, but it comes too late. Most/all of the other colleges have filled up their scholarships.

Vacating all wins from 1998 to 2011? OMG pffft. That's just scratching a number off a piece of paper and writting a different one.

If the NCAA and Penn State really wanted 'culture change', then they should be walking into this after the two year death penalty.
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      I know. I said they supported the actions. Penn St. is under separate probation than the NCAA's. I really can't see why anyone can't see that the NCAA had to do something.
                      Emphasis on "HAD TO".
                      Because they have no jurisdiction to do so. Personally I could care less its only football and as far as I am concerned PSU can or should fold up all its athletics and stick to academics. Contrary to opinion that the $60M plus the $15 M that results from big ten actions is nothing, they instead will be born in largest part by the tuitions of the students. A student body that had nada, nothing, zip to do with the actions of the athletic department or the university administration.

Comment

• This notion that the NCAA has no jurisdiction is interesting. Apparently there's some higher-authority third party who determines what they are allowed to do?

Fun fact1: The NCAA's constitution, which all members must follow, requires that the coaches and athletic officials display ethical conduct. It seems pretty clear that a football coach raping children and the head coach and athletic officials covering it up constitutes unethical behavior. Feel free to disagree.

Also, please note that Penn State commisssioned the Freeh Report on which the sanctions are based, and that the university president signed a consent agreement. Basically, the school provided the evidence and agreed to the penalties.

Comment

This notion that the NCAA has no jurisdiction is interesting. Apparently there's some higher-authority third party who determines what they are allowed to do?

Fun fact1: The NCAA's constitution, which all members must follow, requires that the coaches and athletic officials display ethical conduct. It seems pretty clear that a football coach raping children and the head coach and athletic officials covering it up constitutes unethical behavior. Feel free to disagree.

Also, please note that Penn State commisssioned the Freeh Report on which the sanctions are based, and that the university president signed a consent agreement. Basically, the school provided the evidence and agreed to the penalties.
                          They have no jurisdiction save for what PSU administration consented to. That consent given was once again an effort by PSU administration to do what was best for the "institution" and not in the best interests of the students. Given the fact that PSU simply bent over as a matter of collective guilt and asked for its student body to take an ass raping in no way implies that NCAA has the authority to do so except with PSU's consent.

Comment

Contrary to opinion that the $60M plus the $15 M that results from big ten actions is nothing, they instead will be born in largest part by the tuitions of the students. A student body that had nada, nothing, zip to do with the actions of the athletic department or the university administration.
                            You really don't understand how university athletic departments work, do you?

Comment

• Whats to know? Athletic departments are typically cash cows for greater university expenses. However, all budgets are fungible. Get rid of the cash influx and the revenues need to be derived from alternate sources (i.e. tuition, additional funding via state taxes etc.).

Comment

They have no jurisdiction save for what PSU administration consented to.
                                And yet the school consented, which makes the entire argument over jurisdiction moot.

Comment

Working...
                                X