• Show
Clear All

• its February, and that means its Fantasy Baseball time

and we need a discussion about settings again

and volunteers for commish

I'm in.

(not for commish though)
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I think yahoo will open it up the 8th, I was gonna start a non-functioning league just so people could join and use yahoo's ranking of players etc. Maybe someone who was tearing me a new ahole last year over the settings will volunteer

EPW had some nice stats for a league last year, just the basics... Maybe he'll re-post them here to start a discussion

Comment

I believe Berz is referring to this proposal:
        TB, R, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG
        QS, K, K/ BB, ERA, WHIP

I think our experiment last year with 1b,2b,3b, hr failed. I think one of the main problems is that there simply aren't enough pitching stats to balance off the tons of hitting stats, without doing something crazy like counting Singles against, doubles against etc. So, perhaps a simpler approach would be better this year: TB contains the same data as 1b,2b,3b, hr all in one. The rest of the hitting stats are the same as last year. I should point out that HRs are still awesome under this system: each HR improves every category except SB.
        So now we have to cut things to pitching: I don't think anyone liked IP last year, so its gone. I think everyone likes K, K/BB, ERA, QS, and WHIP so they all stay. The question is what to do about Saves and Holds? Do Relief pitchers need to have those categories to still be useful? I'm going to argue that they don't - K/BB, ERA, and WHIP favor relief pitchers, while QS and K are for SP. Now, you may ask, why would I even bother drafting relief pitchers during the draft if it isn't for the saves or holds? Those other stats can be gotten from any old relief pitcher! Well, my answer is that you would be right, if we kept only two RP spots. But I'm going to propose that we remove one of the "P" spots and replace it with an "RP." Now the good relief pitchers are going to be much more scarce, and you may regret waiting till the 21st round to draft any.

With this setup, their will be 6 hitting categories to 5 pitching, so hitting is favored. It also leaves room to tack on saves if there are too many traditionalists around.
        "

Comment

I still really like home runs and am resistant to seeing them eliminated, but I really didn't like 1b,2b,3b last year. I like seeing holds gone and just simplifying the stats overall. I think we had way too many categories last year. While I feel a bit queasy about losing HR, I am ok with ditching both saves and holds. In general I could be ok with EPW's plan.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'll join a weekly league.

For the first time I noticed Holds last year. There are more of them than I thought. You can simplify by counting it all. I can see arguments for all of it. HR, 1B, 2B, 3B. OBP.
            Slugging, I'm still not real familiar with yet. Someone spoke of eliminating Steals last year. I oppose eliminating.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by EPW View Post
              I believe Berz is referring to this proposal:
              TB, R, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG
              QS, K, K/ BB, ERA, WHIP

I think our experiment last year with 1b,2b,3b, hr failed. I think one of the main problems is that there simply aren't enough pitching stats to balance off the tons of hitting stats, without doing something crazy like counting Singles against, doubles against etc. So, perhaps a simpler approach would be better this year: TB contains the same data as 1b,2b,3b, hr all in one. The rest of the hitting stats are the same as last year. I should point out that HRs are still awesome under this system: each HR improves every category except SB.
              So now we have to cut things to pitching: I don't think anyone liked IP last year, so its gone. I think everyone likes K, K/BB, ERA, QS, and WHIP so they all stay. The question is what to do about Saves and Holds? Do Relief pitchers need to have those categories to still be useful? I'm going to argue that they don't - K/BB, ERA, and WHIP favor relief pitchers, while QS and K are for SP. Now, you may ask, why would I even bother drafting relief pitchers during the draft if it isn't for the saves or holds? Those other stats can be gotten from any old relief pitcher! Well, my answer is that you would be right, if we kept only two RP spots. But I'm going to propose that we remove one of the "P" spots and replace it with an "RP." Now the good relief pitchers are going to be much more scarce, and you may regret waiting till the 21st round to draft any.

With this setup, their will be 6 hitting categories to 5 pitching, so hitting is favored. It also leaves room to tack on saves if there are too many traditionalists around.
              we could add HR to hitting and saves and/or TB to pitching, that'd be 7 & 7

yum, gotta stop thinking bout mixed drinks

I like TB as a cat

Comment

I don't have near enough time to be commish, but I can do the league. I'm always flexible WRT categories.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

league id 14593
                  password poly

this is just temporary, not the actual league - I'm starting it so people can join and do research

Comment

ffz is down again, so we might get a few people for our baseball leagues

and who is up for a roto league? That might mean 3 leagues - 2 weekly (I doubt we'll get enough for a daily league) and 1 roto.

But Yahoo now allows more than 4 teams per identity so at least thats not a problem

Comment

I hadn't seen that it was set up. I'm in.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

its just temporary, unless no one volunteers for commish

but I like using yahoo for research, the problem is last year's stats wont be the same this year, so we'll have to make mental adjustments

looks like at least 1 league will be trimmed down to ~13 categories

Comment

yay, ffz is open for business again

Comment

do y'all even want K/BB?

Comment

Only if it isn't redundant. I'm not a fan of redundant stats.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X