No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: So it begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wasn't actually going for anything, just being a smartass.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• That's what I meant.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft after leading Auburn to a national championship and drawing nearly as much attention for a pay-for-play scandal as for his dynamic performances.
        Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

For him, I think it's the thing to do.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Yeah, especially when a few years from now they strip Auburn of the national championship because of additional evidence that they find, it will be one less year's record to remove.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Exactly. Get out while the getting's good.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Well, you win the Heisman and National Championship, so why stay when you are already at the top? Add to that the scandel and its a no brainer.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• It would be appropriate if he ended up with the Seahawks.

Comment

• Indeed.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• While I was not so excited about U-M hiring Brady Hoke, at least he has gotten Greg Mattison to leave the Ravens and return to U-M as DC, about which I feel much better.

I don't know how much improvement will happen in the first year (just being average would be quite an improvement), but I hope in a couple years we'll have a tough D.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• I hope in a couple years we'll have a tough D.

Hopefully just in time to cover for an awful offense.

Comment

• Be honest, Drake: how well do you think the Huskers will do in the inaugural year of the Legends Division?
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• At Iowa, they try to kill their players... 12 players hospitalized.

Two members of the Iowa football team indicated they underwent exceptionally strenuous workouts, days before they and 10 teammates were hospitalized.

The university indicated Tuesday that all of the players are out of immediate medical danger but confirmed the need for treatment was "likely related" to offseason drills.
                          The text from Fiedorowicz and a short-hand message on Poggi's Facebook page — "in the hospital ... turns out its bad news bears wen ur wizz is brown" — raised medical questions and concerns.

One possible explanation for the problem — given the acknowledgement that the problems related to offseason conditioning — is that the players could have developed myoglobinuria, a condition caused by muscle breakdown resulting from reasons that include excessive, strenuous workouts.

Myoglobinuria, according to the website eMedicine.com, occurs when muscles begin to break down and Myoglobin, a dark red protein, seeps into the urine.

Physicians are trained to respond to the condition by initiating aggressive hydration to prevent acute kidney injury.
                          Looks like a case of exercise-induced Rhabdomyolysis. Word is they were doing a set of 100 timed squats at 240lbs and then a 100 yard sled drag at an undisclosed weight.

100 straight squats at any weight

Former Eagles and Chiefs O-lineman John Welbourn explains (he has nothing to do with the Iowa program but I saw an article he wrote about it)

Just to provide some background for those who were not involved in college football, the end of January is the beginning of winter conditioning. School began two weeks ago and this is the first week of team organized training. Most players are expected to lift and run during their winter break and are asked to show up in shape. The first week of conditioning is more a test to see who worked out and wanted to improve upon last year’s 8-2 season.

Knowing all this, what was the major breakdown?

Did the coaches safely ramp up volume?

During the first week of training were these athletes prepared for this volume of work?

Had they prepared their athletes for a workout consisting of 100 back squats at 240 lbs and a 100 yard sled drag done as quick as possible?

I guess not, as rhabo usually follows a dramatic increase in volume.

Maybe many of these young athletes did not train during their winter break. They might have shown up to conditioning out of shape, and their football coaches and strength coaches wanted to give them a gut check workout; find out who was training and whom they can depend on. So they programmed something they felt “should” be doable for an 18-22 year old Division One collegiate football player who had been training since high school and had followed the Christmas break training program. (Just for reference, every strength coach I have ever had from college and NFL, provided every athlete program to follow when they were away from the facility.)

The problem is, these athletes might not have been ready to handle this workload and the coaches should have realized it. Many times as a coach you design something that looks great on paper only to change it dramatically once the workout starts.
                          Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 27, 2011, 15:16.
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Oh and if you're not familiar with rhabdomyolysis, here's the physical causes:

Recognized physical causes for rhabdomyolysis:[1]
                            Traumatic compression of muscles: crush syndrome (e.g., in earthquakes), car accident, confinement in a fixed position (e.g. after a stroke, due to drunkenness or in prolonged surgery), physical torture or abuse

Obstruction of blood supply to muscles: arterial thrombosis (blood clots forming locally) or embolism (clots or other debris from elsewhere in the body), clamping of an artery during surgery, generally reduced blood supply in shock or sepsis (due to any cause)

Excessive muscle strain or activity: extreme physical exercise (particularly when poorly hydrated), delirium tremens (alcohol withdrawal), tetanus, prolonged seizures or status epilepticus

Electrical: lightning, high-voltage electric shock, including electroshock weapon injuries[5]
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Sounds like they were doing some retarded Crossfit-like training...

Comment

• They shoulda had whey drips.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X