No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under the old directives, an 'assister' in a double tackle was able to play the ball provided they stayed on their feet.

Now, that player has to release the ball carrier and can only then enter the breakdown through the 'gate' - from the assister's team's side, directly behind the ball and tackled player.
    This rule should've been left alone. To assist the ref it would make more sense to apply the rules based on where the player is, rather than what they did.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

So, any tips on SA Vs Australia...

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
        finbar's quote is unintelligible.
        It is my practice to be unintelligible.

Finbar, can you change the skin of the law of rugby so we can finally understand them?
        Some things are beyond me. Not many, but that's one of them.

So, any tips on SA Vs Australia...
        The Wallabies have to hope the Boks play their usual kick-at-all-costs game.
        Last edited by finbar; August 28, 2010, 01:47. Reason: Who knows?
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

They didn't. Truly a bizarre match. Some terrible defence and schoolboy blunders - hullo B. Habana, at least twice - balanced by some blinding backline skills. The Bok defence ultimately tightened, their forwards got on top, and the sheer speed of the game eventually had the Wallabies run out of puff at altitude. On the plus side, it looks like Will Genia is getting back to full fitness. On the other hand, the young Bok #9 proved yet again he has a ton of ability.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

What was it...8 tries in the first half? Insane pace...

I thought the Mitchell try should have been allowed. Not sure why the TMO didn't give it to him.

Comment

TMO said it was grounded before the line not over it. I thought he grounded it on the line at worst.

Comment

I agree. The first placing of the ball could be debated, but it definitely touched the line after he moved it up.

Comment

Careful with the wording - you only get to 'place' the ball once. If he was taken to ground short he can place the ball forward to score but if he placed short he doesn't get a second go.

I didn't see the incident, or indeed the game, but that's the general situation - something else that requires a judgement call from refs.

The scoreline seems to suggest the current directives are indeed destroying defensive play?
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

There weren't two placements. He was taken to ground with the ball. He reached to place it. The TMO said he was short. Not many others thought so. The poor defence didn't have much to do with directives. It was just lazy, sloppy defence. Two of the Boks' early tries came from players ambling through gaping holes. Several of the early Wallaby tries admittedly came from astonishing speed and some superb backline coordination and handling. Then they went and ruined it by leaving gaping defensive holes.

I think you need an IRB ruling on not being allowed to watch these matches.

Comment

My bad -when Cal said "after he moved it up" I smelled a double movement in the wind.

My memory is preventing me watching the 3N anyway - I probably need to tatoo the ko times on the inside of my eyelids.

Though I won't forget our game at Franklins on Sunday - skewed priorities on my part you see.
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Of course. I notice they've signed Steve Mafi as a back-up lock from the Waratahs to cover the injury situation. Interesting player. Talented youngster, played for Australian Schoolboys I think, big things predicted, nothing seemed to eventuate. The Waratahs let him go at a time when they're struggling for locks, but that doesn't mean much. The Tahs are famous for ignoring talent. Ask the Brumbies. Still, he's only 20. He's the rangy mobile type rather than a man mountain. Built more like a flanker than a lock.

Comment

Yep with Blaze and Parling out fairly long term cover there was looking a bit thin - Skivington, Deacon and Green were it for the senior squad. Good lads all but a couple of knocks would mean real problems. Should be Green's breakthrough year - I expect him to be pushing for England honours by the spring.

The other youngsters we expect big things fgrom are Manu Tuilagi and Sam Harrison (early days but Sam looks to be right up there with Youngs for potential).

It's possible the move may resurrect Mafi's career -Tigers is a good place to learn and ply your trade in the pack.

Comment

Deacon has a back problem and Crane an ankle problem so Waldrom and Mafi are likely to feature on Sunday. Franklins will be a baptism for them - not sure if either has come from somewhere where such full on local rivalries are a factor (Tigers and the Saints are basically just across the M1 from each other)?

Who would be Canterbury's local rival? And as for the Aussie franchices you have to hop on a plane to find your 'local' rivals.
                            Last edited by Havak; September 3, 2010, 07:42.

Comment

When I edit that post Sunday doesn't show twice. How bizarre.

Comment

Woohoo, Sale win the first game of the season against Newcastle.

That said, last season we beat Leicester in our first home game aswell. At least this time we got two tries...

Watching SA Vs Australia...15 minutes in, SA 3 - Australia 17

Habana needs to stop being drawn in and let the cover defense take that man whilst he gets the support runner.

My bets?

£5 on SA to win 1st half and Australia to win - 9-1
                                £5 on Australia on the winning margin of 6-10 at 9-1 and a cover bet of SA to win by 16-20 at 17-2.

I had considered a heavy bet on O'Connor to score a try in 80 minutes...but didn't...how foolish. Given how high scoring SA vs Australia can be a few bets on getting a try in the 80 isn't unreasonable.

Last edited by kittenOFchaos; September 4, 2010, 11:37. Reason: add details

Comment

Working...
                                X