No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't see most of Toulouse match, only the beginning. Too bad for them. This will result in 2 French-French quarter finals, and both should be played in Spain (San Sebastian and Barcelona). I find it quite funny.

Regarding the French selection for the tournament, it's really hard to say much because we have no idea who will play out of position.
    Dupuy not being there in favor of Parra and Yachvili is understandable given the last season. Trinh-Duc will be back at 10, and Skrela will watch him play.
    The rest of the players is more or less what could be expected.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• I've made no secret of my distaste for the 'average' Wasps fan - far too many of their followers would be more naturally at home in a football ground. Some of them are genuine rugger nuts - but far too few in this Tigers opinion. I was therefore cheering Toulouse (I have had a soft spot for them since we met them in the semi in 97).

Four french, two irish and two english sides then. And still the 'cesspit' is full of taffs claiming slams are on the cards. I think the number of french sides reflects more on their deeper pockets than anything else - no troublesome absolute salary caps for them of course.

Skivington took a while to 'get' how Tigers play (the line out catch and drive is a more fundamental phase of play for us than for the hated insects for example) but he has really clicked in the last few games and deserves his call up. Dowson is long overdue - but as Easter will get the armband is there a spot for him? Wood - who I doubt you have noticed much - is a pretty decent seven and playing for an in form side.

And that of course is going to hold Corbisiero back - because he is not playing for a form side. Good player as you say though Finbar. Better than Cole? A nats nadger between them perhaps. Plus Alex prefers to play loose head. maybe pick both of them and let Sherdian work on his technique for a year or five (sorry KoC)?
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I haven't seen Corbisiero beyond club level but he looks hugely strong with a very good technique. Certainly a better technique than Cole's in that he binds strongly. He's certainly a loose head. I saw him switched to the other side due to an injury reshuffle and he really struggled.

Matthew Tait to Leicester? Hipkiss off? I've always liked Tait. If he's used properly, he'll offer more than Hipkiss' straight-ahead bulldozing honesty. He certainly marked time - and went backwards - at Sale.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
          I haven't seen Corbisiero beyond club level but he looks hugely strong with a very good technique. Certainly a better technique than Cole's in that he binds strongly. He's certainly a loose head. I saw him switched to the other side due to an injury reshuffle and he really struggled.

Matthew Tait to Leicester? Hipkiss off? I've always liked Tait. If he's used properly, he'll offer more than Hipkiss' straight-ahead bulldozing honesty. He certainly marked time - and went backwards - at Sale.
          Sale never seemed to play Tait even when fit, I don't blame him for leaving for one second.

More discussion about Cole being a poor prop...without looking it up I don't know if they're the right side...but Golding or Stevens could/should replace him.
          Last edited by kittenOFchaos; January 28, 2011, 13:48. Reason: Found it out for myself.

Comment

• I was thinking about Golding myself when I was bagging Dan Cole. I saw him produce some excellent scrummaging when he had Mr Hayman on his other side.

EDIT. I note that Golding has been out with a hamstring injury this season. Only played a handful of games.
            Last edited by finbar; January 28, 2011, 14:03. Reason: I'm slack
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Golding is a loosie, Stevens a tightie. It will be interesting to see Stevens back again. Always immensely mobile, good value in the loose, I thought his scrummaging was dodgy at Test level. Now he's a couple of years older but without those couple of years of practical experience.

Comment

• I think I recognised two names in the Leicester team so I expect that explains the result.

Comment

• The scheduling of games in RU is daft.

Currently, the better clubs have many players taken by International duty. Given the Saxons are already in action against other 2nd teams, most quality Northern Hemisphere players in England are gone.

Yet, the Premiership and the pointless LV cup continues.

Personnally I'd ditch the LV Cup, freeing up time to fit in the remaining Premiership games without overlapping (as much) with International Duty. It is daft that good teams change out of all recognition resulting in teams drafting in SH players by the bucket load.

Comment

• Well just to be clear Cole is many things - but he isn't a poor prop by any means. You gentlemen prefer certain other players - Johnson and Cockerill see something that puts him ahead of them currently. I'm firmly on the fence.

Corbisiero played tighty against Azurri A yesterday and did okay - not stellar by any means - lets see how he does in Dublin. I was very impressed with the loosehead - Marler from Quins - who has not been on my radar before. A powerfully built unit for his tender years and very mobile. It was good to see Gaskell fit and playing well again. Twelvetrees, Robshaw and Tuilagi all had strong games. The young lock from Worcester (Kitchener) has super hands for such a big man. And JSD remains an enigma - against oppostion whose defensive patterns slip he looks like he is up there with the best of the tri-nations running backs. And then he either gets injured or meets a defence that sticks - and he looks like a club player out of his depth.

I agree in ditching the L|V cup by the way - it only exists to help welsh revenue streams so ditch it. 15 of Tigers 23 were from the Academy - not even the A side - so that tells you what the game was used for, giving some boys 'big' game experience. If it bolstered Chiefs morale then a win-win in some ways.

And later today the insects folly.

With all due respect to KoC I think Tigers will use Tait better. We could hardly utilise him more poorly? He should have come when Flood did (he had the option). But as both he and Manu prefer the 13 shirt it seems an odd signing. Will be sorry to see Danny go - has never let Tigers down.
                    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Fences = splinters. KoC thinks Cole is poor. I think his technique is preventing him getting better. I fear Matt Tait will finish up in the utility role again. That which has been much of his undoing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                        With all due respect to KoC I think Tigers will use Tait better. We could hardly utilise him more poorly? He should have come when Flood did (he had the option). But as both he and Manu prefer the 13 shirt it seems an odd signing. Will be sorry to see Danny go - has never let Tigers down.
                        I said it myself that I didn't blame Tait for leaving Sale as he has been ill-used.

If Tait had been Australian, we'd have a far better idea what he is capable of. Currently I know him simply as that guy who made a break in the RWC Final, who slips alot and was used as a ball-boy at Sale Sharks (I wish I was joking).

Comment

• Clarification: On the fence as to whether he should be England first choice - I consider him a very good player despite the binding problem.

For whatever reason Tait doesn;t fit at Sale. One suspects the fell hand of the owner again (given the coach has changed and Tait is still black balled)?

Comment

• Oh dear. M'sieur Lièvremont strikes again. No Jauzion and Rougerie still out of position.

Comment

• With all due respect right at this very moment Lièvremont making strange calls is absolutely fine by me. In fact should he wish to play Nallet at nine that would be quite acceptable.

A strange tournament beckons - boundless Welsh optimism despite their not having won a test in the last seven attempts. Scotland expecting a thrashing in Paris although their recent record is better than most other tournament participants, France included. Ireland underachieving, Italy sticking their most promising backs in the A side (those brothers at the centre of everything good the A side did last weekend) and England taking on the traditional role of France (will the victors against OZ or the limp failures against RSA turn up?).

Key to England's chances is not to completely close up the game plan. Lawes, Croft and Moody are big losses but there is still enough talent there to stick with an expansive game. Winning in Cardiff is however always a big ask however poor Wales lead in has been (you have to experience being English in a Welsh ground to really understand how intimidating the 'welcome' is).

If England can start with a win it is probably their tournament to lose from that point (three home fixtures on the bounce - France being the tricky one) and an away fixture to finish.

Comment

• I hadn't finished reading the headlines of French selection that I went "Oh, what's he doing again?". At times, I think the French rugby selection should be made by the handball coach. He, at least, knows what he's doing...
                                Traille full back. He played that last time something like 2 years ago? And then hadn't played that position in club since leaving Pau for Biarritz? Well, whatever...
                                And then Skrela gets hurt and so the replacement 10 becomes Traille de facto...
                                Rougerie the best 2nd centre in France?...

Argh.
                                Clash of Civilization team member
                                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                                X