No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know a couple of Brits who are doing/have done the Lions tour. Boggled by the prices in Oz, Sydney in particular. I've noticed it on my couple of trips back. Doubt we could afford to live there anymore. We lived in - and still have the house - a very expensive part of Sydney, particularly for food shopping. Here, for food, we're still paying less than half what we paid in Sydney 8 years ago.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• That is quite staggering.

You were right about Dingo - the knives are definitely out. I don't buy the "Cooper would have won it" argument myself - he is as likely to have lost it with a howler or three - but the selection of O'Bieber does seem to be the hammer the Aussie media is hitting Deans with?

It is of course an over-reaction. A far better scrum performance and the superior balance in the loose forwards gave the Lions a great platform and they managed to use it. Such things happen.

Although the ANZ stadium does seem to be becoming a real problem for them - excepting the fact they beat Wales there their recent record otherwise is appalling?
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Deans' time was up anyway. He wasn't going to be renewed in December so it was pointless to let him take the November tour to the NH. He'd had six years, arguably enough for any national coach, and his results over six years weren't sufficient to suggest he had more to offer. You're right, Quade wouldn't have changed anything, but his stubborn persistence with JOC at 10 was, unfortunately, indicative of one of his big problems - stubbornness in the face of the obvious.

There was also his ongoing reluctance to properly discipline the likes of Beale, JOC and Ioane for their off-field shenanigans. It caused ructions amongst senior players more than once. Man management wasn't one of his strengths. Ewen McKenzie is an altogether different character. It will be interesting to see the impact he has on the Wallabies.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I only read of the latest Beale/JOC night out debacle yesterday. Very, very unprofessional - I would hope the next coach can address it.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• It's been going on for years. A year or so ago JOC missed a publicity photo shoot, hungover, slept in. Slap over the wrist. The ARU have been culpable too.

Jake White has set things straight at the Brumbies. Player power is a thing of the past. Michael Cheika at the Waratahs is of the same mind. The Rebels, now no longer in private hands, now controlled by the Victorian Rugby Union, have sacked their coach and replaced him with Tony McGahan, ex-Munster, Dingo's assistant till today. The off-field culture at the Rebels was appalling, led by JOC and Beale, and they took that into the Wallaby camp. The Rebels have now dumped JOC and want to keep Beale. Hopefully McGahan will knock some heads together in Melbourne.

Comment

• It sounds like they are making all the right moves to restore discipline across the board. You called the change at the Helm of the Wallabies spot on as well - insider knowledge?

Tigers started pre-season training this week - crazy isn't it? Lamb and Mele were paraded to the local media yesterday and are both keen to make an impression.

*edit* So JOC is basically the Delon of Australia Rugby? Without the having been dropped part?

Comment

• The change at the top was inevitable. It was a question of who - McKenzie or White? The ARU made the right decision.

JOC doesn't punch people, use abusive language to drug testing officials, mock opponents when scoring tries against them, etc. I suspect he probably doesn't have a naturally mean bone in his body. He's also more talented than Delon. JOC's problem is immaturity, having kudos thrust on him at a very young age, being cosseted, pandered to. A problem all too common in these days of young professional sportsmen who know nothing of life or the world except their sport.

Someone like Ewen McKenzie is going to be a much better influence on him than Dingo. McKenzie is highly intelligent - for an ex-prop - a people person, a very fine manager of men. He has always managed to get the best out of Quade. In fact, since Quade's "toxic" outburst against Dingo, he seems to have settled down into a more mature individual.

Apparently the Top-14 starts again in about a month. Ridiculous.

Comment

• Speaking of which, Toulon have added Ali Williams to their list of ageing not-so-outstanding talents.

Comment

• So a better parallel on my part would have been Mr Cipriani?

Ali Williams remains a hero in Nottingham. But surely another season at Blues was more realistic if he wants game time?

Did you see Castro's Partheon shot to Cockerill btw? Essentially he was not happy being second choice behind Cole last season - and not being told what he needed to do to compete for first choice. He may have a point - but it read very badly. Everyone has to compete for their shirt at Welford Road, it is how the club is. He probably was entitled for feedback on how to change the selection order though. I still feel it unfortunate he felt the need to air his grievance in public but it is the modern way when the media are everywhere.

Comment

• Well, Cipriani is a serial offender of the highest order. JOC isn't at that level.

Castro's always been a loose cannon. It was probably predictable. His powers have also waned. Still, Cockers has given back as good as he got.

Comment

• Gav punched by new Bath teammate Carl Fearns. Didn't take long.

Comment

• Would like to give the Brumbies a slap.

Comment

• You ain't the only one. And who would be a Highlanders supporter? Leading 31-7 to lose 37-38.

Comment

• G&G Rugby - an Oz rugby site - is reporting that the Henson bar fracas came about as a result of his new Bath teammates taking the p*ss out of him for his TV dancing exploits. He didn't take kindly to it, and, when they kept humming the TV show's theme tune, he rounded on Carl Fearns. Who flattened him.

Comment

• Slap Brumbies - and slap Kings for fielding an understrength side that blew the margin the bookies were looking at kOc?

Henson - if he is truly that sensitive he is playing the wrong game. Rugby players (and allacadoos) are merciless at the best of times - but if you show it is getting to you you are in serious trouble. And generally if you are a girly-back it is not a great idea to take on a back row forward?

Comment

Working...
                                X