No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Wilko, really. Too brave for his own good. Hard to penalise that big bloke for it, I'd've thought. It was a collision.

I've tipped Leicester for my sins. Quins aren't the force they have been. So they will probably fire up and prove me wrong.

A Leicester fan on another forum I frequent said Murphy had no great relationship with the departing Australian coach. Made it easier for Murphy to slot into the coaching line-up. Great player over the years. Amazing longevity.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
      Typical Wilko, really. Too brave for his own good. Hard to penalise that big bloke for it, I'd've thought. It was a collision.
      Brave!? I'd say insane...looked like a child running into the road to tackle an ice cream truck...
      Life and death is a grave matter;
      all things pass quickly away.
      Each of you must be completely alert;
      never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

• Pretty much the story of his career, Sneak. Utterly fearless. He's had a lot of injury problems over the years but, ironically, not many of them related to his fearlessness. A bit of an obsessive, trained relentlessly from a young age, put all sorts of pressures on his body that, later, created problems.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Croft really showing his class today...try saving tackle and his sprint to the line later on...and that is only a small part of his game. I was considering placing a bet on him being the top-try scoring English Lion earlier today. I wonder if the odds have already changed.

Pleased with what I've seen of Matthew Tait.

No doubt, Leicester into the Final.

Edit: I'm watching the match on Sky Go and I'm watching live betting. On Sky Bet the score goes up to Leicester 33, Harlequins 9. 2 minutes later I get to see Tait score. Like I said earlier, I've been pleased by what I've seen of Tait today.
          Last edited by kittenOFchaos; May 11, 2013, 11:45.

Comment

• A very entertaining contest between Leinster and Glasgow.

Glasgow narrowly lost, but in my opinion played by far the more entertaining rugby. Glasgow rarely kicked the ball away and showed very good handling...hardly a Scottish trait. It was just a shame that Hogg seemed abit off his best.

Nikola Matawalu, the Glasgow scrum-half was in my opinion the man of the match...he was very, very good.

Comment

• Tait had his problems in the first half but an outstanding second half. I couldn't fathom why he wasn't in the squad for Argentina in the first place. Yesterday only makes it even more puzzling. Tigers were just too strong. Plus I've never seen such shonky Quins defence.

Didn't see Glasgow-Leinster but my sources tend to agree with you.

Comment

• It is really nice to see Corfty staying fit and building towards real form again. Tait is starting to show some form too.

Got to think Saracens easily today? As Guscott points out Saints have won only one of their past 10 matches against Quins, Saracens and Leicester.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                  Got to think Saracens easily today? As Guscott points out Saints have won only one of their past 10 matches against Quins, Saracens and Leicester.
                  You'd have thought so...but no Brad Barritt and their defense appears completely AWOL.

25 minutes in and it is Saracens 0 - Northampton 14

Edit: Half-time is Saracens 0 - Northampton 17

Saracens not helped by Hodgson getting injured early on. Farrell is playing ****, even missed a pretty easy penalty...Lions 10...perhaps Hogg should be given a shot at it instead

It is just annoying for me...had an accumulator that would have worked out with Sarries winning by 4. Not likely atm, they seem totally out-gunned and devoid of ideas.

Edit2: Strettle, never rated him. No wonder. Jeez.

Edit3: If Saracens lose this (and they probably will) they could simply blame their dysfunctional lineout. Had their lineout functioned, they could have won this, Northampton have spent too much of this half playing defensively. They should have kept on the attack.

Also got to say that the selection of Stevens as a Lion is simply embarrassing. He spent this game bent double and sideways. Vunipolu just looks fat. Their front-row was destroyed and many referees would have yellow carded them for it.

Leicester will destroy Northampton, they can't play for more than 50 minutes.

Edit4: This is why we have play-offs. You couldn't have a team that plays as badly as this being Champions.

Edit5: Saracens 13 - Northampton 27
                  Last edited by kittenOFchaos; May 12, 2013, 12:02.

Comment

• Speaking of play-offs, Newcastle came back in the second leg against Leeds to win on aggregate. Good thing. Clearly the best team in that comp.

Sarries just couldn't handle the physicality. Not the first time they've succumbed to strength and power. I don't think they'd have won even with a functioning lineout. Their use of the pill, courtesy of Farrell Jnr, was pathetic. CH might have made a difference. Some of Strettle's selfish play was extraordinary. Farrell Jnr is also in serious danger of turning into an utter prat. His youth is starting to reveal itself with his temperament issues.

Saints were running out of puff and no wonder. Hard to maintain that game for 80 minutes. Best I've seen Hartley for a while, the only good thing out of the match in terms of the Lions. Looks like he's lost a bit of weight, too. I also can't see Saints upsetting Tigers. Tigers play relentlessly and should be still going when Saints run out of puff.

Comment

• That is what the experience this season suggests for sure.

But until yesterday Sarries had the most effective line out in the league and the best defensive record. Anything can happen in a one off game and you can be sure Saints will be motivated - they have long been the East Midlands also rans.

I have to say I entirely disagree with edit4 - having won two more games than anyone else over a long season Sarries would be worthy champions for me. Sure it can be boring to watch but I am of the generation that does not buy into the "spectacle is everything" way our game has gone. They have pursued very effective gameplans - it is up to the rest of us to crack them.

I'd also love Tigers to win the Premiership play-off of course - but Sarries are 'League' Champions to me - the Premiership is a separate title.

If we can get the Saints of the first half versus the Tigers of the second half then we should have some final I think?
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I agree about edit 4. As much as I dislike them - for their vulgar approach to rugby as much as for their tedious game plan - you don't win that many matches in a season for no reason. They had a stinker coupled with Saints finding their old form. In the same way that Newcastle had a stinkier in the first leg of the Championship play-off against Leeds but were good enough to come back in the second leg. That happens in rugby.

I think their lineout problems were down to poor throwing - especially by the ex-Bok skipper when he came on, I don't think he hit one jumper - and shrewed Saints' reading of Sarries' throws. Again, it happens.

I think Tigers just have to weather the Saints storm. They will run out of puff.

Comment

• I am very much hoping that you are correct in that thought process.

Comment

• Are you listening Sale Sharks?

Martin Castrogiovanni says he does not have a club for next season, but had to leave Leicester for regular rugby.

Perhaps spend the money we were squandering on Richie.

Edit: It seems that others are thinking the same: http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/r...m?104,14040925

Comment

• They could do worse. A lot lot lot worse. Very strange little episode between Castro and Leicester.

Comment

• He says he has signed a release form - but it must have a competitor clause or he would be a free agent.

It's unfortunate - the club wanted to keep him but Tigers NEVER guarantee first XV rugby. They don't entertain such clauses in player contracts. I believe Ritchie had such a clause at Sale?

Most sorry to see him go.

Comment

Working...
                                X