No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps he can raise himself for one last hurrah.

Bit surprised the latin did not trigger the language filter too.

I personally think Farrell junior would benefit from a move at club level - I think he would develop a better attitude away from the Sarries and probably develop as a player too.

So Manu at 12 with BOD outside? Interesting combo and one that doesn't really play to Manu's strengths. Still the combination of guile and power will be interesting to see. I'm very glad to see Warren is taking a look at the squad in rotation.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I think Farrell's game might develop away from the limited Saffercens philosophy as well. Can't see it happening though. It's hard to know why his temperament has started to waver. Immature attempt to announce himself?

Looks like the Western Farce will be resting their better players against the Lions. They can't make the S15 finals but they face the Tahs next up and it seems they'd rather compete against the Tahs. While the Farce have had a mixed season they've played some dang good rugby at times, beaten some much bigger names. At full strength they'd be a decent test for the Lions. Very good defence, in particular. Michael Foley moved from the Tahs this season to coach the Farce. He's done better with the lesser talent at the Farce than at the Tahs. Someone did point out to me, though, that his support coaches at the Farce are all ex-Queensland Reds of very recent times. A big help.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
        Looks like the Western Farce will be resting their better players against the Lions.
        The Lions look to be fielding a very strong team on Wednesday...it should be a complete rout.

If Kearney is injured, they should call up Wilkinson. We've enough cover at full-back, we need more options at 10...it was a daft choice all along not taking 3 no. 10s.

Comment

• I tend to agree. On the 10s and the rout. Crofty to score a try methinks. And Northy of course?

I don't understand that logic by Mr Foley Finbar - the Lions are a once in a career chance for players and as a coach if you cannot make the S15 finals why on earth would you rest players for the Lions fixture. Play your best side and go for the big scalp surely? Or is it all part of the wider ARU psych-out game?

And the RFU have grown a pair it seems Finbar - your wish is their command

Leicester director of rugby Richard Cockerill is to appear before a Rugby Football Union disciplinary panel over his conduct in the Premiership final win against Northampton.

He is alleged to have used obscene, inappropriate and/or unprofessional language and behaviour towards fourth official Stuart Terheege.
          Last edited by Havak; June 3, 2013, 15:55. Reason: still cannot spell
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I knew Michael Foley rang a bell - he was the cunning little hooker who puts Woods off and let plank steal a vital ball back in 2001.

*edit* Oh yes that's it - he helmed the godawful Bath too for a while.

I still don't understand the decision to rest players for Tahs when there is nothing but pride at stake there - the ARU invited the Lions to tour after all so one would hope sides would field their best players unless the chance of silverware beckoned elsewhere?

Comment

• I salute the RFU for finally acting on Cockerill.

Resting players against touring teams isn't anything new. The Boks aren't the Lions, but didn't Leicester play an A- team against the Boks and beat them? I remember Munster starting a B+ team against the ABs a year or so ago, too. And almost beating them.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Absolutely - but a big difference in both cases was Tigers and Munster were still competing for domestic honours. And certainly with Tigers and the Boks it was very much a B- Bok side and very early in the domestic season.

From what I have read the Farce players all stuck their hands up. Foley is the villain of the piece here, resting players for an entirely meaningless S15 rubber.

And with respect the Lions are a little different to a national touring side - the only other thing like them in world rugger is the Barbarians. Maybe Woodward is right and they should take Australia off their list?

(playing Devil's advocate in case you were wondering Finbar - Sir Clive's rant in the Mail was not exactly helpful in building a Lions-Oz detente)

Comment

• The Aussies of course would like nothing more than to make Clive eat crow. And he might have to - Lions execution in the first 30 mins has been utterly abysmal.

*edit* And of course as I write that BOD scores a try. Still been a poor half though.

*added post full time*

Farce showed some grit to register two tries. Deans will analyse that with interest? Wyn-Jones seems to have played his way out of selection - a very stupid card to receive. And Healy the biggest concern - though Vunipola looks a decent replacement?

Good job I didn't share my tips as I must have been tired (that's my excuse!) - I had meant to back Crofty to score a try but forgot (!) and nearly backed Vuniploa too (11/1). North and Tuilagi both failed me and I had Manu for a brace - Manu was punching holes but BOD was the beneficiary.

Bod gave me small fillup (had to bet on BOD, my old Waltzing O'Driscoll mate from 2001, but wish I had gone the brace) but my bacon was saved, and a profit turned, by Parling scoring. I just had a feeling that he would and at 15/2 it was worth a punt.

These little flutters are added some welcome spice and interest to the games for me, but I stress again it is trivial money and I won't chase it if my initial stake gets wiped out. As it stands I have tripled my money since the Premiership final though - good job I don't have an addictive personality...oh hold on a minute.....
                  Last edited by Havak; June 5, 2013, 08:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                    These little flutters are added some welcome spice and interest to the games for me, but I stress again it is trivial money and I won't chase it if my initial stake gets wiped out. As it stands I have tripled my money since the Premiership final though - good job I don't have an addictive personality...oh hold on a minute.....
                    If I had bet £100,000, I'd now have £167,000. It is really a shame that I don't have £100,000.

I have £10 and made £6.67 profit with a very conservative bet. Like you say Havak, it adds some spice

Will get a chance to watch the game at 8 pm.

Comment

• What a dick that Nathan Sharp appears to be...Duncan McRae should have been banned from the sport. It was a disgrace that non of the the Lions came to O'Gara's aid.

Nathan Sharpe, the most capped Wallaby forward in history and an advisor to Australia coach, Robbie Deans, has warned the Lions that Western Force will be the first of many provinces looking "to take a nibble" out of the tourists ahead of the test series.

Gatland doesn't want the Lions reacting to stuff, but there are times where you need to.

Comment

• Didn't get to see the game unfortunately. Sounds like the Farce tried hard. They're good at that. The Reds will be tougher, depending who lines up.

Comment

• Silly nonsense from Sharpe - particularly praising McCrae who basically committed assault on a rugby field and Harrison whose brain deserted him in the ACT fixture - such a shame as Sharpe was a great servant of OZ rugby and not a particularly 'biff' prone one for a suppsoed 'enforcer' lock.

Comment

• Very silly nonsense from Sharpie. Not his style at all. Looks like someone is orchestrating the aggro stuff. Enough already.

Strong Reds team to face the Lions. Everyone bar the Wallaby players who are in camp and Ioane who is injured. The same backline, Genia aside, who started last weekend. Link McKenzie is taking the match seriously and there are a number of starters with serious Wallaby claims who will be desperate to impress Dingo. Not least Quade.

Healy cited for biting? Stomping, now biting? What's wrong with him? There was no initial citing suggesting there wasn't sufficient video evidence. It probably won't go any further but Healy is becoming a problem player.

Comment

• And there is definitely no place in the sport for biting - if guilty a nice long lay off is the order of the day. Of course he is a Leinster man so maybe the new coach can help address these problems?

The Lions forwards were not very cohesive against Farce. It's quite possible that a strong Reds line up could actually get the win. Although it will be a different team yet again so we can get a sight of the remaining squad members. Youngs should start for example.

*edit* Sorry chaps, didn't realise the team had in fact already been named!

Full team: Stuart Hogg; Alex Cuthbert, Manu Tuilagi, Jonathan Davies, Tommy Bowe; Owen Farrell, Ben Youngs; Gethin Jenkins, Tom Youngs, Matt Stevens, Richie Gray, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton, Toby Faletau.

Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Mako Vunipola, Alun Wyn Jones, Paul O'Connell, Justin Tipuric, Conor Murray, Jonathan Sexton, George North.

Interesting back line. Fascinated to see how Davies and Manu link up. Also interesting isn't it that I think Roberts is currently a rank outsider for a test berth. The Lions have extensive options in the Centres.

Comment

• Davies and Manu? Davies' fondness for passing into touch matched only by Manu's lack of quality passing skills. I'd bet Civ gold that Roberts will start the first Test anyway inside BOD. Plenty of Lions options in the centres, yes, but very little variety.

Comment

Working...
                                X