No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions of significance this weekend...

1. Will Australia once again beat France.
    2. Can Ireland beat South Africa once again.
    3. Can Scotland ever beat New Zealand, like ever.

Comment

• Just finished watching France absolutely dominate Australia...finally! Some excellent play by France off a very secure foundation and hats off to PSA.

I also watched England dominate Fiji. To be quite honest the result flattered Fiji as England squandered many excellent opportunities to score.

I didn't watch Wales lose to Argentina, nor Ireland lose to South Africa, but I will be watching Scotland take on New Zealand tomorrow. Apparently 67,000 have bought tickets, lets hope they get to see a titanic contest and not a humiliation.

Comment

• France were excellent, Wallabies utter tosh. The Wallabies beat the Argies and drew with the ABs in their last two matches because they made up for the missing injured players with G&D, commitment and pressure. France overpowered them through the forwards, for sure, but they were dire elsewhere. Couldn't hold onto the ball, clueless going forward - Kurtley Beale had a shocker - and just no structure whatsoever. And if ever Deans needed convincing that Phipps isn't a Test 9, last night was it. But he will continue to be picked.

Wales were about as poor as the Wallabies, making all the same mistakes they did against the Wallabies in Australia. No structure, no runners, no leadership. Warburton a Lion? I don't think so. The Argies enjoyed plenty of first-half possession but didn't know what to do with it. In the second half they realised Wales were no threat and went for it, swarming, off-loading, showing skills I didn't know they had. Comacho's try was simply stunning. Wales had no answer. Coach Howley's record is now P4 L4.

Ireland were brave against the Boks given their missing injured players. They took it to the Boks in the first half but the Bok machine cranked up in the second half and they were just too strong.

Saw about 5 minutes of England-Fiji on a wonky internet feed. From what I read, England supporters seem to rank the effort about 6/10 against opposition that fell away badly.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• England executed very poorly taking a large number of poor options. They had another half dozen clear cut try scoring chances. But the oppo were so poor in the set piece that it made the game very hard to read. England were rusty, but they played an attacking game. Then again they could against Fiji.

Wales were just dire. Off the pace, uncommitted and totally away with the fairies. The Pumas were committed and once they started to believe played some beautiiful stuff.

The Boks amazed me in the first half - I have never seen a Bok team not committing to the breakdown like that. In the second half they corrected it and simply out muscled what is I am afraid a very poor Irish side. Sans BOD and POC they are juts not the same.

I wish I had seen the France game. Naturally the Wallabies will raise it massively against England but they really are there for the taking I suspect. Manu is going to punch holes in them as it looks to be a skilful but lightwieght set of backs - or am I being unfair?

Sharples reminiscent of the early Ashton - looking for work and using his brain. I could live with playing both next week (even though both prefer the right wing).

Tom Youngs acquitted himself well. Bigger tests to come of course.

Oh and the ABs are completely beyond England's reach - I'd like to get that on record now. But the Wallabies and Boks they do have a good chance against on these initial showings.

One note of amusement - the BBC commentators for the Wales game saying how the Welsh camp targetted winning all four games to get the fourth seed spot. Talk about a reality check being needed? Howley was a fantastic scrum half, but as a head coach his record speaks for itself (as Finbar observed).
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• This Wallaby backline is actually better defensively - Phipps at 9 aside, who is Cipriani-like in his defensive awfulness - than anything else. They've been held tryless four times this year and have scored 12 tries in 13 matches. Leaving aside that the same backline has rarely started together twice, there's a complete absence of game plan and strategy. Apart from toss it to McCabe at 12 to smash into the defence. That's down to Robbie Deans who won't hear a word against McCabe's bravery and loyalty - admirable traits, certainly - but overlooks the simple fact that, as the only means of attack, it's utterly predictable. A bit like Wales try to use Roberts. As a result, neither 13 nor the back 3 see much of the ball. Digby Ioane, hopefully, will be back on the wing but he's rarely seen the ball recently.

So the Wallabies' defensive capabilities don't worry me. They stifled the Argies in Argentina and the ABs in Brisbane before last night's nightmare. Yet, even last night, it wasn't the backs' defence that let the team down. It's when they get the ball that's the problem.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• It is a pity that France aren't playing New Zealand this series as I think France would give them a run for their money.

New Zealand defeated Scotland, but lacked their usual dominance as Scotland had parity in the scrum (surprisingly) and were very strong when employing the driving maul. Where we floundered was in terms of defence with far too many missed tackles. In my opinion Ross Ford had an exceptionally poor game both in defence and when throwing into the line-out. Had we been able to secure more of our line-out ball we wouldn't have lost as many soft points. Laidlaw did alot right, but given how much room Dan Carter found you have to suspect his defence. I really hope that either Ross Ford can improve his game or we kick him to touch...

I also believe that Scotland should have gone for the posts more often rather than kicking to the corner. I think we'd have achieved a far more flattering scoreline as a result. It is notable that New Zealand were happy enough to take 3 points even when they got penalties deep in the Scottish half.

I am optimistic about Scotland's chances against South Africa but I hope we drop Ross Ford to the bench and start with Jackson over Laidlaw and see how we do with that. I do feel Scotland should have mounted a better challenge today, but I was pleased that we showed some promise in attack and gave the 67,000 crowd something to cheer about.

Comment

• I thought the scoreline finished up a fair reflection. Scotland's forwards were their strength - not for the first time - and were excellent throughout. Ford, though, was dire. Problem is, give the ABs a sniff and they punish you. You can't turn over ball, can't miss tackles. Some of their tries were masterclasses in undoing a decent defence - nothing lateral, commit defenders, undo them with great passing to perfectly timed support runners. And that wasn't their best XV. You're right about their pragmatism, too. They're forever happy to take 3 points.

If Scotland's forwards turn up again against the Boks it will be a good contest. Lineouts will be key, though, because the Boks can and will steal even good opposition throws. On the other hand, they don't punish mistakes the way the ABs do and make enough mistakes of their own.

Comment

• Scotland played pretty well indeed, but their defensive line kept drifting infield and 'sine waving' which allowed the ABS to give that masterclass in take and give. Well that and the fact a few players dropped off tackles - I'm thinking the Hore try for starters.

Poor old Ford - stepped around and over far too often. Out of position far too often. Don't think he will start next weekend.
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Perhaps worthy of a second citing?

Comment

• I only read about that today. Hadn't seen it. Looks a bit Callum Clark-ish to me.

Comment

• Seems like a good win by Tigers B over the Maori. Just a shame there seems to be no record or report of it anywhere. That I can find.

Comment

• The citing window has passed I think?

If you can cope with visiting it Finbar try here:

And a short report from the local paper.

Last edited by Havak; November 14, 2012, 09:34.

Comment

• Well done, thank you. Good to see Matthew Tait get through unscathed and apparently playing well.

Comment

• No mean feat beating the NZ Maoris. That Haka was bad-ass.

Comment

• Hi.
                                I have unfortunately not seen France-Australia. Or, rather, glimpsed 10 minutes of it, when the wallabies scored their second penalty and were battering the French defense with little imagination. Unfortunately, I was working this week-end so I ate late and I preferred eating (particularly with that charming colleague of mine) over just watching the match.
                                In other news, I'm going to Bristol tonight to play against the local Airbus team. I hope the weather's fine in England this week-end?
                                Clash of Civilization team member
                                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                                X