No announcement yet.

Apolyton Fantasy Football D/ST League Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imran already benefited from me name-dropping.

And ps, how is this NOT name-dropping MB3?

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    I'm amazed that Felix has a higher ADP than MBIII this year. Is there some info out there that I'm missing?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Besides, Jaguar changed everyone's draft strategy far more than dropping name could ever do. I highly doubt all those QB's were going to go so early before he said something, especially considering the wide distribution of QB's from last year's D/ST league.
      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 5, 2010, 17:09.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        Why is that a +1000. I think it's cheap to benefit directly from a guy not being properly informed. Yeah, it's his fault for not being properly informed but it's like getting a checkmate when the guy still had a possible move but he didn't notice it. It's cheap.

If your draft strategy is to rely on people not even knowing who a particular player is, I think that's cheap.

There has never been a fantasy player, ever, who has not noticed a player who by all rights should have been picked already, and hopes that those drafting in front of him will not notice this and that player will slide to them.

Most sleeper picks work this way.

Ignorance of other draftees to particular players is key in getting high value.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Besides, Jaguar changed everyone's draft strategy far more than dropping LeSean McCoy's name could ever do. I highly doubt all those QB's were going to go so early before he said something, especially considering the wide distribution of QB's from last year's D/ST league.
          That's not a dropping of a name, but a position. Completely different. He was using positional strategy. You are just being a tool.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Why is that a +1000. I think it's cheap to benefit directly from a guy not being properly informed. Yeah, it's his fault for not being properly informed but it's like getting a checkmate when the guy still had a possible move but he didn't notice it. It's cheap.

If your draft strategy is to rely on people not even knowing who a particular player is, I think that's cheap.
            Being informed requires effort, and some people are willing to put it in, some not. Those not willing to put in the effort should not be able to take advantage of that information.

I'd consider your name-dropping rude; not illegal, certainly, but it's very rude. Talk about a player after he's been picked, not before, if you want to discuss why he hasn't been picked.

For the record, I also don't care much for Jaguar talking about the QB position that way - it certainly is intended to change other peoples' strategy - but it's lightyears from mentioning specific players.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Fine I edited the post so no one knows about it but the people who were here who are either about to pick anyway (MRT) or won't be picking for a while.

MRT, I suggest you edit your post where you quoted me because that's the only other incidence where he who shall not be named was mentioned.

But realistically, Jaguar's thing about QB's had a definite and IMMEDIATE impact on the draft. Last year, only one QB was taken in the 1st round. Jaguar made his statement and 5 QB's went off the board in the 1st round followed by 4 more in the 2nd. Let's not kid ourselves. We all knew what happened when it happened. JRabbit and Ozzy both made comments to that effect as did myself.

I don't have anything against Jaguar nor for him doing that but if you're all going to get on me about name-dropping, let's get serious about what had the bigger effect on the draft.

Comment

• Like I said, one is strategy and the other is being a tool in identifying players who may be drafted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  Like I said, one is strategy and the other is being a tool in identifying players who may be drafted.
                  Such strange mores. I don't get it but if it got all of you so worked up over it, whatever. Sorry.

Comment

• To be fair, a lot of the reason QBs went that early was that people saw (in both leagues) that QBs had a significant effect on the scoring. Not by themselves, certainly, but both leagues have scoring that rewards more for a good QB than standard leagues, compared to RB success. Last year QBs were very badly underrepresented in the early part of the draft IMO (and I was one of the ones obviously who was caught out by that).

I think that the rationale, Al, is that while 'strategic' comments are just playing with peoples' minds- not something I consider to be right, but at the end of the day it's your responsibility to pick according to your own strategy, and if you allow yourself to be swayed by other comments, so be it. Stating specific players, though, is irritating to people who want that sleeper to fall to themselves; and yes, you're probably right in that it is people taking advantage of others' lack of knowledge, rightly or wrongly. Still, it's irritating, and a fantasy faux pas (specifically). Sleepers are where most of the strategy is in fantasy, and messing with THAT part of peoples' games is annoying.

That said, other comments are okay, particularly to people with less knowledge, like 'You know he's hurt, right?" That doesn't really hurt anyone, and makes sure the folks who don't really know what they are doing don't damage their team.

Comment

• Question, is it wrong for me to also keep updating the list I've been keeping of whom each of us has drafted? I mean, that can definitely affect draft strategy by knowing things like which of us has a team made up entirely of RB's and stuff like that.

Comment

• No, keeping lists is fine. It's really just specifically naming people (though many of us probably object to other strategic comments). I myself won't contribute to said lists, as I don't intend to go out of my way to tell others who's on my team; but nobody is going to object to you (or anyone else) making a compilation of public knowledge. It's usually done every year, either in the thread or more often in a separate thread.

Comment

Question, is it wrong for me to also keep updating the list I've been keeping of whom each of us has drafted? I mean, that can definitely affect draft strategy by knowing things like which of us has a team made up entirely of RB's and stuff like that.
                          That's fine. No one has a problem with that, nor is there any rationale worth explaining as to why it's fine.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                            No, keeping lists is fine. It's really just specifically naming people (though many of us probably object to other strategic comments). I myself won't contribute to said lists, as I don't intend to go out of my way to tell others who's on my team; but nobody is going to object to you (or anyone else) making a compilation of public knowledge. It's usually done every year, either in the thread or more often in a separate thread.
                            The list of players in the NFL is public knowledge, too

Anyway... come on Ozzy. Where'd you go? You were just online.

01.01 Jonny - Chris Johnson - RB - TEN
                            01.02 Berzerker - Maurice Jones-Drew - RB - JAX
                            01.03 snoopy - Ray Rice - RB - BAL
                            01.04 Flash9286 - Adrian Peterson - RB - MIN
                            01.05 Jaguar - Peyton Manning - QB - IND
                            01.06 Al B. - Frank Gore - RB - SF
                            01.07 MRT - Aaron Rodgers - QB - GB
                            01.08 Spaced Cowboy - Michael Turner - RB - ATL
                            01.09 OzzyKP - Drew Brees - QB - NO
                            01.10 joncha - Rashard Mendenhall - RB - PIT
                            01.11 duke o' york - Matt Schaub - QB - HOU
                            01.12 Imran - Steven Jackson - RB - StL
                            01.13 Guynemer - Tony Romo - QB - DAL
                            01.14 Sloww - Ryan Mathews - RB - SD

02.14 Sloww - Tom Brady - QB - NE
                            02.13 Guynemer - Larry Fitzgerald - WR - ARI
                            02.12 Imran - Joe Flacco - QB - BAL
                            02.11 duke o' york - Miles Austin - WR - DAL
                            02.10 joncha - Phillip Rivers - QB - SD
                            02.09 OzzyKP - Andre Johnson - WR - HOU
                            02.08 Spaced Cowboy - DeAngelo Williams RB - CAR
                            02.07 MRT - Calvin Johnson - WR - DET
                            02.06 Al B. - Randy Moss - WR - NE
                            02.05 Jaguar - Jamaal Charles - RB - KC
                            02.04 Flash9286 - Reggie Wayne - WR- IND
                            02.03 snoopy - Roddy White - WR - ATL
                            02.02 Berzerker - Ryan Grant - RB - GB
                            02.01 Jonny - Eli Manning - QB - NYG

03.01 Jonny - DeSean Jackson - WR - PHI
                            03.02 Berzerker - Joseph Addai - RB - IND
                            03.03 snoopy - Pierre Thomas - RB - NO
                            03.04 Flash9286 - Brandon Marshall - WR - MIA
                            03.05 Jaguar - Greg Jennings - WR - GB
                            03.06 Al B. - Shonn Greene - RB - NYJ
                            03.07 MRT - Marques Colston - WR - NO
                            03.08 Spaced Cowboy - Steve Smith - WR - CAR
                            03.09 OzzyKP - Cedric Benson - RB - CIN
                            03.10 joncha - Sidney Rice - WR - MIN
                            03.11 duke o' york - Knowshon Moreno - RB - DEN
                            03.12 Imran - Beanie Wells - RB - ARI
                            03.13 Guynemer - Jonathan Stewart - RB - CAR
                            03.14 Sloww - Jahvid Best - RB - DET

04.14 Sloww - Anquan Boldin - WR - BAL
                            04.13 Guynemer - Felix Jones - RB - DAL
                            04.12 Imran - Steve Smith - WR - NYG
                            04.11 duke o' york - Hines Ward - WR - PIT
                            04.10 joncha - Ronnie Brown - RB - MIA
                            04.09 OzzyKP -
                            04.08 Spaced Cowboy -
                            04.07 MRT -
                            04.06 Al B. -
                            04.05 Jaguar -
                            04.04 Flash9286 -
                            04.03 snoopy -
                            04.02 Berzerker -
                            04.01 Jonny -

Paging OzzyKP... paging OzzyKp... you are on the clock.
                            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 5, 2010, 17:37.

Comment

• FWIW, yeah, my question regarding a specific, as yet undrafted player should have gone in the other thread. Mea culpa.

But at least I'm not benefitting.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Just FYI, I am Iming people as their pick comes up if their IM apps show up on Poly.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X