MLB 2011!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arrian View Post
    That's nice, Sloww, but the Rangers outscored the Yankees 2 to 1. They won convincingly, and it wasn't 1 play here or there that led to the Rangers victory (situational tactics). Further, to the extent that Ron Washington had a major impact, it was probably in game 1 - a game the Rangers should have won, but lost.

I'm not trying to rip the guy or anything, but I really don't understand how you can think what you appear to think (that Ron Washington's "gut" was a key element in the ALCS, opposed by Joe Girardi's "stats" which suck).

-Arrian

I don't care if you understand it or not. I already pointed out the 2-1 scoring differential. And it was caused, in large part, by Washington's strategy on how the team would play. You don't agree and that's fine. I don't care.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• There is a rumor that in order to placate both those who want more playoff teams and those who want the division win to mean more that MLB may be adding a Wild Card play in game. Basically they would add one more WC in each league and those WCs would play like a 3 game series to determine who gets to play the #1 seed. I like this being someone who isn't a fan of the WC in the first place... because this way the division winner gets more rest and the WC team has use its best pitchers in the play in. It gives more of an incentive to win your division.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• And can push the WS even deeper into November. Oh joy!
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Well I prefer my alternative... getting rid of the Wild Card altogether .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Maybe if they didn't have soo many DAMN off days, they could have the extra round and STILL BE DONE by November. This is baseball, not football. They don't need tons of off days. I know the network wants there weekend and primetime games, but this is simply silly.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• When you look at it, it seems reasonable - 2 days off for a 7-game series. The real problem is days off between series, and the fact that they lock in the schedule as if all series will go the max (which is actually pretty unusual these days). As a result, you've got teams sitting on their butts for days, and significant loss of news coverage. The WS now competes with all three of the other major pro sports, plus college football, plus the NASCAR trophy series. And team depth (esp. pitching), which is a critical component of success, becomes almost meaningless, as top-of-rotation pitching becomes the entire strategic focus.

I'd strongly prefer to see some MLB flexibility in making schedule adjustments for short series, and a schedule that approximates in-season ball -- six games a week. It would make for more interesting strategic options, reward quality depth, and reduce the dominance of 2-man rotations, all while keeping the playoffs in the media eye. Not to mention a greater likelihood of playing in reasonable baseball weather.

But it will never happen as long as Bud "Bettman" Selig is in charge.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• The off-days are the problem. Reduce them and it all works out. Also, adding more teams to the playoffs is a ****ty idea. No.

IF there is eventual expansion, they can go to 4 divisions and no wild cards. Until such time, the present system is fine (though I'd prefer all playoff series be 7-gamers, but cut down on the off-days and possibly build some double-headers back into the regular season to shorten it up a bit).

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  I don't care if you understand it or not. I already pointed out the 2-1 scoring differential. And it was caused, in large part, by Washington's strategy on how the team would play. You don't agree and that's fine. I don't care.
                  Fair enough.

I assume that if SF wins the WS, Ron Washington will suddenly be an idiot.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• That would be a pretty stupid assumption without seeing the games and finding out what went wrong exactly for the Rangers, but feel free.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• What went wrong exactly for the Rangers?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Lee had a bad night. Vlad Guerrero showed why he's a DH and not an OF. Three errors (at my last count). The Giants are good enough to also be playing in the World Series. Take your pick. I'd say all of the above. I also said Rangers in 6. What else, wise ass?

Comment

• Well... so much for that Game 1 pitchers duel...

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                            I'd strongly prefer to see some MLB flexibility in making schedule adjustments for short series, and a schedule that approximates in-season ball -- six games a week. It would make for more interesting strategic options, reward quality depth, and reduce the dominance of 2-man rotations, all while keeping the playoffs in the media eye. Not to mention a greater likelihood of playing in reasonable baseball weather.

But it will never happen as long as Bud "Bettman" Selig is in charge.
                            Um, it'll never happen as long as baseball is a business.

Also, Bud Selig is probably the most unfairly maligned commissioner in the history of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              Well... so much for that Game 1 pitchers duel...
                              They were just waiting for Game 2, haha.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian View Post
                                That's nice, Sloww, but the Rangers outscored the Yankees 2 to 1. They won convincingly, and it wasn't 1 play here or there that led to the Rangers victory (situational tactics). Further, to the extent that Ron Washington had a major impact, it was probably in game 1 - a game the Rangers should have won, but lost.

I'm not trying to rip the guy or anything, but I really don't understand how you can think what you appear to think (that Ron Washington's "gut" was a key element in the ALCS, opposed by Joe Girardi's "stats" which suck).

-Arrian
                                Well, it hasn't been Washington's fault. So far, the Rangers have taken him out of the game. They're in a deep hole now. I think I've missed on 6. It'll probably take 7.
                                I still think they can do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X