Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby - 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, You Can't Beat A Northern Hemisphere Winter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, the mists of time occasionally part just enough for me to recall England tries from those days that weren't tries at all. That aside, all it means is that England have regressed since 2002? The autumn evidence would also suggest that England's scrummagers aren't better.

Loathe as I am to mention the girlie game in our threads - KoC should have been yellow-carded for it - but I thoroughly enjoyed Germany's thrashing of the presumptuous Australians last night. Typical of them to have ambitions so divorced from reality.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• The F1 result also went down quite well.

Yes England have certainly regressed. The RFU failed to plan beyond the 2003 RWC in a way that their SANZAR counterparts would never have done. They have made a sequence of bad decisions ever since -the worst of which I think was Rob "Teflon" Andrew. And the aversion to youth is holding us back big time.

There is a chance to review and change everything as Barron is replaced by Steele. Steele was pragmatic as a coach and doesn't fit the traditional elitist profile of an RFU executive - can he stick to his own guns and bring the reform he wants? I hope so.

Oh and the TMO and ref awarded Luger's 'try' - so it was a try. When you and I are both long gone the history books will only record that fact. I've seized all the video evidence. Luger of course is also infamous as the 16th man that led to Steve Walsh having a punch up with an England coach. Which is what anglophobes do I guess?

The better game in 2002 was the NZ one where England looked dead and buried. That was an example of what Jonno was best at. Last saturday was an example of what he isnt the best at?

*edit* Cueto's citing has been dismissed....
      Last edited by Havak; June 14, 2010, 05:44.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• A dire and tedious kicking fest. But I await Jonno's positive spin on it with baited breath!
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Beats me how. Have a look at a replay. Jumped into his head with an elbow. Just watched the second half of the dirt-trackers' match on a very good stream. Dire, dire, dire. Abysmal field kicking from both sides, stop-start, nothing remotely resembling a thought-out backline move. England kicked a couple more penalties because, for some reason, the starting Wallaby hooker in the next Test was playing at tighthead, something he probably hasn't done since he was 10. Very strange. If someone had turned on the game to watch their first rugby match, they'd never come back again.

Cross-post!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• In my case a very cross post.

I'll have a look at Cueto's citing event again tonight.

I am sure the second test will draw in all those newbie fans - Australia's backline are great to watch at times.

Comment

• One can only conclude Finbar that Richard Smith QC is very good at his job. I'm very concerned at the number of citings on this tour to be honest - it speaks to poor discipline.

But even that concern is nothing compared to the Rowntree quotes this week - have you seen them? Apparently we only need the one big win to be a 'perfect' side. The camp much be detached from reality entirely.

Comment

• I'm not sure what Cueto's defence was. I'd love to know. Apparently that stamper was very lucky to get off on the technicality. The IRB had approved the non-independent citing official, they hadn't got around to clearing it with the touring team. 17 stitches in the head of the Australian player.

Predictable that Genia and Giteau would return for the Wallabies. Tough on the other two, but the two Gs are higher class. I imagine J**** will start with Ben Youngs. I can see him causing a great deal of trouble behind a dominant scrum. In fact, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if England click with him there.

Comment

• I can only hope they do Finbar. Happy to see Lawes replace Shaw too - time has caught up with Simon based on last week.

The french ref is an unknown to me - Romain Poite - ahs anyone seen him in action?

Foul play is foul play Finbar - the player should have been sanctioned and then the IRB could have made a (very public) apology to England for failing to properly follow their own procedures. As previously noted the RFU employs very notable barristers so it is no big surprise that they used such a technicality.

I've been thoroughly enjoying the Churchill Cup - the way France lost to Canada caught me off guard. Skivington looks a superb signing for Tigers - the way he skippers on the field is rather similar to a certain (less than successful) international head coach.

Comment

• I like what I've seen of him. Consistent. But he's dynamite with scrums. Expect to see even more penalty tries.

Comment

• Fine with me - as long as they are at the correct end! It is after all our best chance of scoring one.

That said I agree with you that we could click better - Youngs will move the ball much quicker and it won't always be to lumbering forwards taking it straight back into contact 2M forward. If we score a try from open phases I will do a little victory dance.

Comment

• The U20s lost to the Aussies in the semi final of the Junior World Championships.

The Aussies played very well and dictated the game - England failed to assert their own game. It's a Baby Blacks and Baby Wallaby final.

I'm really looking forward to the Wales-Blacks game. Both play open games but how can one put it politely - the ABs are masters of that game whilst Wales play it in fits and starts.

Comment

• Well, I'll be looking another game tonight. France vs. Argentina A. Lots of open play to be expected there...
                          Clash of Civilization team member
                          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Frustrating match. France 37 - 14 Argentina A.
                            Lièvremont will probably have trouble picking a team next week for the match against Argentina.
                            Yachvili showed he needs a brain once again. Kicking a small chip from his 22 when there was about 5 seconds of game left resulted in an argentinan try.
                            The French played well when they decided to, but that was only half the match. The lineout was pitiful once again, despite guirado replacing Szarzewski. We sorely miss Servat, Harinordoquy (and to a lesser extent Ouedraogo).
                            Of the players on the field, I think the centers Mazars and particularly Fritz played well, although Fritz was badly tackled a few times. Then again, he played inside center when he's more of an outside center. Apart from these, Barcella, Lambolley did a few nice moves but they also alternated with poor ones. Papé started well but kept the pace only 30 minutes. The wingers and full back were rather good, but unfortunately it's not in these places we lacked against South Africa.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                              I'm really looking forward to the Wales-Blacks game. Both play open games but how can one put it politely - the ABs are masters of that game whilst Wales play it in fits and starts.
                              How very diplomatic. Only Wales' rush defence kept in the game in the first half. And, yet again, their inability to convert their possession and territory cost them. Been their problem for a long time. What few chances the ABs had, they took. Ultimately, the ABs just too professional, too clinical, too quick, too talented. Did I see a stat to the effect that the Welsh had missed 28 tackles early in the second half? That poor young Welsh #11 looked seriously out of his depth. A defensive nightmare for the kid.

Comment

• Australia Vs England

So entertaining. Both sides running the ball at pace.

Great try by Ben Youngs and Chris Ashton. England finally appear to be clicking. This doesn't make Australia any less dangerous, but it gives England a chance of winning.

Easter looks a completely different player this week...the whole team does. Very encouraging so far! Lawes is also playing very well.

13-15 to England at half-time

Comment

Working...
                                X