Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby - 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, You Can't Beat A Northern Hemisphere Winter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the Irish won the game and then didn't want to take too many risks ahead of next weekends game in Paris

As far as Wales Alun Wyn Jones probably makes an easy scapegoat as we conceded 17 points while he was off, but why was hook given those 2 early kicks?

Think it's going to be close today but just fancy France to edge it - and then next week I'll be there watching a potential Wooden Spoon decider in the 2nd week of the season
    To err is human, to firgive is against government policy

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
      I certainly hope France will beat Scotland, although I don't think the French wingers are the best choice we could make. Nor the full back.
      Well, Rougerie saw to himself pretty quickly...high impact player.

Comment

• I can't say I missed Rougerie a lot, I prefer Clerc any time. But then Fall wasn't really good either. He showed the same defensive weaknesses as against the Samoans, except this time Lamont made good use of it. Fortunately, Poitrenaud had a good day and played well, with several crucial tackles.
        The second half of Scotland-France was much like Ireland's. Lièvremont at half time asked his players to kick in order to pin the Scots in their own half, and the result was a total lack of attacking rugby from the French in the second half. A bit sad. I liked Bastareaud's second try and the French front row, however.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Right now I’d play Twelvetrees ahead of Flood at 12. He is a work in progress and does make unnecessary errors but the positives far outweigh the negatives.
          I was convinced at 75 mins that England had blown it again. I’m relieved they pulled it out the fire but there was a great deal of luck in it. There is much work left to do. But they did what they needed to – win.
          It is no secret by the way LDiCesare that England have huge problems picking props. Wilson shouldn’t get anywhere near an England shirt and Payne isn’t international class either. I thought Cole made his mark when he came on.
          I think Youngs and Wilko would be a better half back pairing too, though Jonny’s place is not secure for me. The back row is one of circumstances though I do think Dowson is the man in form and should have ousted Easter. I would like to see younger talents (like Gaskell and Calum Green) get the call too. We seem afraid to blood youth in a way no other nation is.

But it isn’t a question of just players – as long as the game plan is so turgid (and negative) and the fly half sitting so deep all the time things just won’t improve. England looked so much more threatening when they tried to inject a bit of pace into the game.

Ireland actually looked very rusty against the worst Italian performance I can recall for many years – but Ireland will improve as the tournament progresses and I never discount them. France were efficient and Professional, very impressive at times but it is hard to judge them against Scotland. Although again I am sure Scotland will raise their game for the auld enemy visiting.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Super14 is back in less than a day. Time for some real Rugby.

Comment

• Which Bok franchise will win it this season?
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• For those of us who won't be distracted by a club tournament from the opposite hemisphere there is much to look forward to this weekend.

With Nallet and Parra winding Ireland up I expect a fiery clash there - and well done to Scotland for stopping Wales closing the roof (much to Gatlands Chagrin).

And to top it all off England will no doubt struggle in Rome too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                  Which Bok franchise will win it this season?
                  No doubt you are hoping for one of us NZers to indignantly point out...hmmm...never mind.
                  ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                  ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Damn, damn, damn!!!

Had £15 at 5-1 on Scotland to win both halves as I was overjoyed that there was no Godman.

Damned man still manages to get on and along with Scott Lawson mess things up. Godman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! GRRRRR!!!

What a game.

Comment

• Yes, I'd be gutted if I was Scot. Why didn't they kick directly outside the field in the last kick off? They were 13 against 15, had zero chance to score, and managed to let the Welsh score a try. Wales were very lucky about the wounds of the Scots, because their starting backline would have fared better than what they had in the end in my opinion.
                      As for the French, good game. the Irish were only good in the lineouts, but made many handling errors and were beaten in the scrum and rucks. Unfortunately, France hurt two more wingers. That's all 4 starting wingers in the first two matches who were hurt: Fall, Rougerie, Clerc, Palisson. A real pity for Palisson, who did good things for the short time he played. I particularly liked Nallet and Harinordoquy today.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• I just remember being deliriously happy returning from Cardiff last night.
                        To err is human, to firgive is against government policy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mablir Dorlig View Post
                          I just remember being deliriously happy returning from Cardiff last night.
                          Two things...

1. Was it on a golf buggy?

2. Was it a trip?

It also has to be said. Normally I prefer watching rugby on TV as you get to see more of the action, thanks to the worthless BBC camerawork seeing clearly key events (like the trip - even on highlights) or Scotlands second try live aren't important.

Comment

• Actually Caligastia I was just repsonding in the spirit of the 'Real' rugby jibe - I'd be quite happy to see an NZ franchise win S14.

And the BBC might not be perfect but they could teach Italian TV a lot about covering a rugby match. Although I'm grateful they made such a bad job of it as it wasn't worth watching. If you are going to kick all the time it has to be constructive - punt it off the field, put it in space or if you must put it down the throats of the opposition at least chase it to put some pressure on them.

But aimless kicking all the time? Pointless!
                            Last edited by Havak; February 15, 2010, 05:55.

Comment

• Are Auckland Blues a pale shadow of their past selves? Can a Kiwi S14 fan tell me if it was a surprise that they would lose at home to Hurricanes?

Comment

• I think most were expecting the Hurricanes to slip through. The Blues are injury ravaged, the Hurricanes were at full strength, lead by Rodders.

As it panned out, the Blues blew a big lead not scoring a point in the second spell, and at times they looked totally clueless. Being a Blues supporter might almost be as bad as being a Tigers supporter perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                                X