Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby - 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, You Can't Beat A Northern Hemisphere Winter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consider it dropped. Well, just before it's dropped, I forgot to mention that Lee Byrne was very un-Lee Byrne-like as Woods charged towards him. He didn't advance, he didn't make any real attempt to set himself for a tackle. He'd already been signalling to the replacement to get off the ground, he knew he was there illegally, I suspect he took a late decision not to involve himself physically.

Tigers didn't need the penalty. Shouldn't have needed. Ten seconds later, Hipkiss tossed the ball into touch, straight past Lote who had a pretty clear run to the line. And we won't mention the 5m scrum.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I was right. Lote's returning to the silly game in Australia. Apparently his contract with Leicester runs out at the end of March and Wests Tigers - the Sydney silly game club - will announce his signing. Silly silly boy. Still, maybe he's had a gutful of Toms & Co being bad losers.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Apparently he hasn't liked the winter weather in the slightest.

I feel I should point out that neither Peter is representative of the membership. We are nice people, we really are.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Do you think Stephen Ferris has a bulleyes painted on his head perhaps? Poor lad is really in the wars recently?

The old enemy visit Welford road tonight - Bath. Before Wasps displaced them they were the auld enemy and fixtures against them are still alwasy rather special.

Let's hope we can lose with grace eh Finbar? Win or lose I'll have a few beers with the west country muppets afterwards.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• No one west of Oxford can count so they'll probably have 17 on the field. Toms & Co can indulge in an orgy of petulance.

Comment

• And most probably will.

Lock jaw has been given an honourary degree by the University of Leicester this week, becoming an honourary "Doctor of Laws" in the same week where he labelled his latest Borthwick led squad as his "best ever".

It rather lends itself to jokes does it not?

Comment

• So, Billy Twelvetrees is back from his ankle injury and gets two tries

Sale's second dismal season in a row continues - boo!!!

Comment

• In the words of his coach:

"I thought the step off his left foot for his second try was as good as I have seen.

"Billy has got a huge talent with some real natural ability. We just need to keep following that and give him opportunities to develop and I'm sure he will come through.

"He's got to make sure his error count is low and his quality involvements are up there, but he's a real prospect."

Comment

• From the little I've seen, he looks like a terrific prospect.

For my sins, I'm off to Australia for two weeks tomorrow. I tried but couldn't make it any less. I've set Sky to record the first two weeks of the 6N. I'll no doubt know the results but at least I can look forward to an orgy of recorded rugby when I return.

Comment

• All the best for your return to "bandit country". At least it is finite.

Nice little win for the Saxons over Ireland A on Sunday - my 'poster boy' making the Strettle try and the Geragthy try being the kind the senior side never score (length of the pitch with mutliple passes).

Comment

• When I read J**** talking about his "best squad ever" I thought he was talking about the Saxons. Only briefly. Obviously Shane Geraghty shines in a backline structure employing tactics made for him. The evidence is in front of their eyes - why are they so blind?

I hate flying and I've loaded up my iPod with podcasts to keep me sane. Amongst all the excellent Radio 4 stuff - best radio in the world, Radio 4 - I have something that I found called the Leicester Tigers podcast. There might not be enough sick bags on the plane to accommodate me.

Comment

• I never had you pegged for a masochist!

As for Jonno it is clear the stubborness that made him a great player and skipper is not the same positive attribute for a coach. Good coaches need to be flexible - if your system prevents some of you best talent from working well then try another system. It it goes awry you can always revert to plan A (bore the oppo to tears)!?

Comment

• I have to feel you you Finbar - stuck on a plane to Oz listening to a Tigers podcast from before the Bath game at a time when Jonno has finally picked Mathew Tait to start....

Comment

• So...predictions for this weekend?

I think England will beat Wales, but I'm much less confident of that now that Flutey isn't available due to injury. Flood isn't a center and he isn't in my opinion a good defensive player. Likewise, England benefit from no Gethin Jenkins to have to deal with and that Cooper is the Welsh no. 9 - he is dreadful.

I think England will win as I think our backrow is superior to Wales and we've got quality players in our backs from 10-15 with the exception of Flood who are the equal of Wales.

Scotland Vs France - I can only see a French win atm, there is little reason as yet to think Scotland can score more than one try in a game.

Italy Vs Ireland - Just a question of by how much.

So, England, France and Ireland to win...

Comment

• I was a bit disappointed by Ireland. They won by a good margin, but didn't do much. Kearney seems to be a level below what he was last year. This is based not only on this match but on what I saw during the H Cup so far. Considering Italy lacked Parise (i.e. half the team), they did rather well. They were aweful in lineouts and need to get the ball out of rucks and mauls much faster.

England did well but the first half was as boring as Ireland/Italy's second half. They didn't try anything. A good forwards move on their first try, and then Wales had to play, but the penalties Hook missed early on cost them the game: Had he slotted one or two of these (or let S. Jones kick), Wales could have come back 20-20 or even 23-20 and wouldn't have had to attack recklessly and get intercepted. Care and Wilko make a good pair, but Wales' front row and centers were clearly inferior to what could be expected due to injuries. England could also probably pick better players at some positions, but I'm not sure it's a matter of players being hurt.

I certainly hope France will beat Scotland, although I don't think the French wingers are the best choice we could make. Nor the full back.
                                Clash of Civilization team member
                                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                                X