Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby - 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, You Can't Beat A Northern Hemisphere Winter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mauger's in a different class to Nonu. No doubt. Except in the minds of the AB hierarchy who worship Nonu. That, and Mauger's fitness problems, mean he will probably be a back-up at best. Heck, if Mauger had played against France that fateful day, I'm sure the ABs would have won. He's too intelligent to have allowed what happened to happen.

No idea who the giant, unstoppable number 8 might be. I'll have to look into it.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Thomas Waldrom aka "Thomas the Tank Engine".

At 26 he has clearly never broken over the AB threshhold but we generally do okay with our 'clubmen' Kiwis.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Ah. I've seen a bit of him. Very solid tradesman. I'd be surprised if he's 6' 7", though. Your sozzled member mate might have been exaggerating.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• He probably was.

He still thinks Maggie was a great PM after all.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
            No Heymans or Medard? Heavens above. Flaky but dangerous. Yes, the halves are an ongoing problem. I'm yet to be convinced that Trinh-Duc is up to the job. Without Traille, who are the full back candidates apart from Poitrenaud?
            Palisson can play 15. I don't know why they picked Poitrenaud over Medard, but the latter hasn't been in great form recently. As for Heymans, not selecting him is rather strange. He's playing very well these days. Maybe not as dangerous as Clerc, but Clerc is all too prone to going amok if his team loses.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• I'd take Clerc in front of Heymans for his sheer freakishness, but I'd settle for both.

Strange Saints tactical approach against Munster last night. They obviously went out trying not to lose the match, playing a territory game entirely foreign to them. Geraghty was poor which was no surprise, forced to play deep and kick for territory, a game for which he is ill-equipped. As one of the commentators observed, he was playing the role he did for England in the autumn. Hence next to useless. Dominant in the scrum, with huge possession and territory advantages, Saints really wasted an opportunity with their cautious approach. Munster are creaky, their scrum embarrassing. They've been written off before only to bounce back. Who knows?

Comment

• It is daft to write Munster off ever, particularly in this tournament.

And yet, they get written off every two seconds by people. But few teams can pick things up a gear like Munster can, especially in the last 20 minutes. A trait that NZ certainly used to have.

Comment

• Munster didn't pick it up in the last 20 minutes. One monumental scrummaging effort in the dying minutes saved their bacon. O'Gara kicked straighter than the Saints' kickers. That's what won them the match.

I can't call Leicester unlucky regardless of how many players were on the pitch. Hammered at the breakdowns - I'd forgotten all about Marty Holah - and very woolly thinking with ball in hand. Ospreys with ball in hand were always more dangerous.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                    Munster didn't pick it up in the last 20 minutes. One monumental scrummaging effort in the dying minutes saved their bacon. O'Gara kicked straighter than the Saints' kickers. That's what won them the match.

On this occasion Munster didn't NEED to pick it up for 20 minutes. When they do they will unless it is against Leinster.

As for Leicester...a very exciting last 20 minutes and Havak's poster boy dropping the ball - I prefer Nonu

Comment

• It was a shocker of a pass from Youngs, who, that and another couple of shaky passes aside, I thought was excellent under pressure. Still, on another day, with more game time, Mauger probably would have fielded it. Which isn't to say a try would have resulted because, by the time ball was passed, Ospreys defence had organised on the left. If the ball had come earlier, things might have been different.

The game was lost elsewhere. Apart from very early on, Leicester never managed to assert control. It was always a scramble, and Ospreys' back row and midfield defence were just smothering. And their backline was simply more potent. Contrast Hook and Staunton. Even if they did their best to lose the match under pressure - what on earth was Shane doing hurling that long, high pass at the end?

I'm also heartened by Cockers' reaction to the extra man on the field imbroglio. Unlike the chief executive's reaction.

Comment

• Well, we all get to see if Munster were just lucky against Northampton

Only one English team in the quarter-finals...is this a true indication of the state of play in Europe? 2 Irish, 1 Welsh, 1 English, 4 French, no Italian and no Scots teams in the top flight.

In all honesty, it is probably an accurate reflection and gives a good impression of the balance of power just prior to the Six Nations.

Comment

• If O'Gara kicking straight could be considered luck, Munster were lucky. O'Gara kicking straight isn't a lucky circumstance. Munster were only lucky in that Saints, for whatever reason, with a hugely dominant pack and majority possession and territory, chose to continue their cautious territory game instead of flexing some attacking muscle. Well, they did eventually launch some attacks, but too little too late. End result: they earned a return against Munster on Munster territory. One of the more short-sighted tactical strategies I've seen. Obviously they're confident of repeating their effort in the first outing. We shall see.

I think the HC QFs pretty much reflect the state of play in this part of NH rugby.

Comment

• You wouldn't like Peter Tom Finbar, I can assure you. You might soften to Peter Wheeler over time.

Cockers is on the whole a great bloke. Uncompromising though - and always says exactly what he thinks.

Interesting isn't it that when great players make mistakes it stands out more - messirs Mauger and Youngs a case in point?

Given the fine the IRB gave England for Dan Luger (34 seconds - no involvement in play) I think Ospreys should be fined heavily for Byrne (55 seconds and making a defensive tackle) but of course the result stands. tigers were beaten fairly and let's face it ospreys aint going to win the tournament.

I'd fine them about 100K I think - but it will be about 20K I suspect.

And Finbar has hinted at - playing their natural game Saints are a real threat to Muinster. What made them play the way they did in that game will completwely undo them at Thomond park. They must be themselves to succeed there. And I have to back them - them first, then the irish sides, then the French and never ever the Welsh please. We would never hear the end of it!

Comment

• Shame that Toms & Co seem to enjoy playing the hard guy role. It does nothing for the club. I have the match on tape and just had another look. Byrne didn't tackle anyone during the period in question. Woods made his break, Byrne was looming in his path, Woods chip kicked. He was going to have to kick anyway because he was about to be swamped by half a dozen Ospreys. If he hadn't kicked, he'd've been totally isolated, turnover. Bottom line: Toms & Co's claim of interference is ludicrous, only underlining the petulance.

One thing about Saints. If they're going to try the same territory tactic against Munster again, they can't start Geraghty. Standing deep and kicking isn't his go. In fact, he's next to useless at it.

I have no idea how the HC is going to pan out. No team has completely convinced me. I suppose Clermont has come closest, but, as our ami says, they're, um, French. Okay, I'm paraphrasing him.

Actually, if Saints care to play to their strengths - which, unfortunately, isn't a given - they have to be in with a serious show.

Comment

• Though play should have been stopped and Tigers given a penalty of course. That they would have squandered no doubt.

With most teams I'd agree with you that it should be dropped but there is history between these two clubs, largely thanks to the sacked and not at all lamented Lyn Jones.

Then again let's drop it - Biarritz will stuff them anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X