Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby - 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, You Can't Beat A Northern Hemisphere Winter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with your pessimism (or optimism, if you consider england losign a good thing ).
    I meant that a limit on foreign players would never happen because English clubs wouldn't wear it - regardless of EU laws - because the Premiership is their priority, not the welfare of English rugby. English rugby is being sabotaged from within, and I include the current administrative and coaching hierarchy amongst the saboteurs.

What effect will the salary cap have on French rugby? I was watching Clermont - v- Ospreys last night. One of the commentators said the Clermont annual budget is something like €19 million, with about €7 million of that players' wages. I assume the usual ways around salary caps will be exploited - third-party payments, etc.

No way. The rucking/stamping distinction has been invented by Brits who only because almost no French player is bright enough to make the difference. And the few who can forget it after 2 minutes on the pitch.
    They seem to forget that eye-gouging is an offence, too.

Speaking of Clermont -v- Ospreys, Clermont were very good, very powerful. Ospreys are a real puzzle. They mix some superb, skilful rugby with some absolute rubbish, with a lot more of the latter than the former. I don't know whether it's a concentration problem, coaching, or what. Lee Byrne was unlucky. His only error on the night cost Ospreys a crucial try. That aside, he was very good. As was his Clermont counterpart.

Outer Mercia -v- Ospreys will be interesting. It depends which Ospreys turn up to play.

Munster disposed of Treviso, though it was muddled Treviso defence that probably inflated the scoreline. Keith Earls and Co had a picnic speeding through gaps a mile wide. Treviso actually played pretty well. They're a much stronger outfit now that they're basically a combo of Treviso and the best of Calvisano's talent, Calvisano having dropped out of the Italian S10 competition.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I don't know the exact figures.
      Last I read (French here: http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/20091216...2010-2011.html ) there's still no salary cap but there'll be one next year of 8 million euros. Which means Clermont's 7 needn't change.
      The article also explains that there will be a minimum of 40% next season, then 50% and 60%, of 'players from French academies', i.e. who played 5 years inside the FFR before being 21 or spent 3 years between 16 and 21 in agreed academies. I wouldn't qualify for instance, as I started playing rugby at 18. I suppose students' rugby might qualify as FFR but I'm not even sure.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• About Clermont, they can play really good, but they have a few issues. In particular Rougerie's defense as a center, as seen in Ospreys' try.
        They rely a lot on their big pack and their fly half. Should James be hurt, I don't know how they would fare, but the guy seems never to get any injury. I think never being selected for a national team helps through reducing the number of games he actually plays.
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• It's interesting watching Brock James. I remember him from Australia. He was a fairly limited player, relying mainly on his kicking. He's still just as limited, but he makes the absolute most of his limitations.

How do these proposed French laws get around the EU rules?

Oh, and to be fair to Rougerie, the pass was forward. Very hard to defend against the ball being literally handed forward to a player coming on an angle. Exactly the same scenario with the pass to Bowe prior to him stumbling and falling with the try line open.
          Last edited by finbar; January 17, 2010, 06:34. Reason: Senility
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• The laws get around the EU laws because they don't discriminate on nationality but on what's basically a degree, which only French schools can provide.
            I didn't see the first try immediately, only saw a replay later in the match. Toulouse/Harlequins also sported nice forward passes on a pair of tries.

Comment

• James Gaskell is certainly Sale's most recent Academy success - very promising.

Incidentally Crofty injured the same knee again on saturday - a blow to Tigers and England.

I'm no lawyer but it does sound like that French system is still Restraint of Trade. Mind you it depends if the EU notice and/or do anything. They are currently far too busy giving all our money to the Accession countries in 'structural grants' to notice that France is wriggling out of a bit of legislation.
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• You have a problem with funding Croatia's bickering with Slovenia? Shame on you.

Comment

• I have a problem with the EU full stop. I'd have us leave it tomorrow.
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Alot of rugby news today.

The wonderful Scottish commentator Bill McClaren has died, he deserves all the plaudits that are being delivered.

And a Frenchie has been banned for a long, long time for gouging.

Comment

• Yes, I didn't get to hear a lot of Bill McLaren but he had an empathy with the soul and spirit of the game. Unlike the couple of current BBC twayts.

I imagine Attoub will appeal the sentence and have it reduced by a week like Dupuy. Dupuy's reduction by a week is one of the stranger appeal decisions I've seen.

Comment

• Attoub should certainly appeal since he can't get much worse, but a 1 week reduction wouldn't change anything. He's out for more than 1 year, and 1 week wouldn't change much. Let's jsut hope would-be eye-gougers will think twice now (and will just punch and break a nose instead of targetting eyes).

Comment

• We shouldn't condone punching - but at least it isn't cowardly like gouging.

A gouging victim is very seldom in a position to defend themselves. Finbar was correct about Dupuy's decision being bizarre. I think the right message would have been sent had a month been added for daring to appeal when so blatantly guilty.

The reason Attoub has been hammered so badly is that he apparently lied during the disciplinary process. He has got very much what he deserves.

Comment

• I'm not going to defend Attoub, there's no reason to. I just hope that there will be less people eye-gouging in the future.
                            I've also seen the French pre-selection of 30 players for the start of the tournament. Some bizarre choices as expected, but I think I'll wait for the real team to be announced to make any comment. Besides Elissalde being obviously selected for scrum half and not fly half, which is where he plays now most of the time. Still, happy to see him in the list although I suspect he'll jsut sit on the bench, which is a pity as he's probably better at both 9 and 10 than the other options. Of course, he's 32 years old, but I don't think that should make him unfit if he's the best we have.

Comment

• No Heymans or Medard? Heavens above. Flaky but dangerous. Yes, the halves are an ongoing problem. I'm yet to be convinced that Trinh-Duc is up to the job. Without Traille, who are the full back candidates apart from Poitrenaud?

Aaron Mauger returning to NZ. Shame. Regardless of his health, he's a much better player than he ever got to show. He'd've been a much better fit at somewhere like Irish or even Quins. I suppose he has a chance as a back-up/alternative to Nonu. The #12 options are thin on the ground. Whether his body is up to it is another matter.

Comment

• The talk in the stands last weekend was his departure announcement was imminent. And it is serendipity that his aims coincided with Tigers (which was to clear his huge salary from the wage bill and replace him with several players).

I wish him well but he is a hell of a gamble for Cantebrury and the ABs - I don't think he has made three consecutive games in 18 months. Backup for Nonu was a joke right? Even with a back snapped in two he is a better player than that rather limited Tindall-esque gentleman will ever be!

Apparently Tigers have all but signed a young Kiwi number 8 as part of the Mauger premium - but all I got in terms of names from the sozzled member telling me this was he is 6'7" and 'almost unstoppable'. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X