Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the recruiting services that make those rankings the same thing as the recruitment firm that will handle ND's coach search?
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• In large part the recruiting services go by who has offered a recruit in order to do their rankings. That's not a bad way to go about it.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I think most people know by now that Drake is completely unfazed by anyone complaining that he's too insulting.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Are the recruiting services that make those rankings the same thing as the recruitment firm that will handle ND's coach search?

No. Scout.com and Rivals.com are the two main "recruiting services" that follow recruiting news for college athletics. They don't have anything to do with recruitment firms that search for coaches and the like. Think of the former as specialized media organizations and the latter as headhunting firms.

I think most people know by now that Drake is completely unfazed by anyone complaining that he's too insulting.

I only insult people when they deserve it, which makes it easier to remain unfazed.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• But that's not saying much, when the two best college coaches were at the school.

Bear Bryant and Bud Wilkinson didn't coach at Notre Dame.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
              But that's not saying much, when the two best college coaches were at the school.

Bear Bryant and Bud Wilkinson didn't coach at Notre Dame.
              Correct.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

No. Scout.com and Rivals.com are the two main "recruiting services" that follow recruiting news for college athletics. They don't have anything to do with recruitment firms that search for coaches and the like. Think of the former as specialized media organizations and the latter as headhunting firms.
                Right, I knew the latter were headhunting firms--that's an industry I was in while in NYC, although of course it wasn't sports-oriented. But the big executive recruiting firms like Korn/Ferry, Stanton Chase, etc. all put out market research papers, trend analysis and the like, so I wasn't sure if the recruitment rankings were sort of like that. Honestly, if they were, it might give a bit more credibility to the numbers, since it seems to me the media organizations don't really have much of a stake in their rankings being correct. Recruiting firms are a bit more concerned with track records and reputation.

I only insult people when they deserve it, which makes it easier to remain unfazed.
                What if someone confessed it turned him on? That could faze someone, easily.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• since it seems to me the media organizations don't really have much of a stake in their rankings being correct.

They really don't. The rankings are just a way to draw page views and subscriptions (both sites charge money for premium memberships that allow hardcore fans to get recruiting news sooner).

What if someone confessed it turned him on?

I can't believe Sloww admitted that to you...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• ND will consult the headhunters as needed. However, if the headhunters are used a lot in the search, then there's something wrong with the process.

I expect that ND has been researching candidates for the past year and that the list of potential hires is small.

Comment

• The headhunters are generally less valuable in picking candidates than they are in making sure the process goes smoothly.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I can't believe Sloww admitted that to you...
                        Something about you making his heart all aflutter?

However, if the headhunters are used a lot in the search, then there's something wrong with the process.
                        Generally, I'd say that's a good rule of thumb for any high-level executive recruitment where the pool of potential candidates is small and the hiring organization very prominent, yes. Recruiters are usually pretty ****ty at really understanding what a client needs. Usually it's "hmm, this guy's resume seems to have all the right words... I'll send it to the client... Oh, you guys think he looks good? (YES! FINALLY GOT ONE!) I'll set up a meeting..."
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                          I think most people know by now that Drake is completely unfazed by anyone complaining that he's too insulting.
                          I'm not complaining... just pointing out his lack of maturity. The fact that is completely unfazed by it is just more proof. Real adults have discussions without responding like little children throwing insults around. He actually has some solid opinions sometimes, but they tend to get lost in his childish tirades.
                          It's tough to take him very seriously when his typical response is to call somebody a ****...
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Something about you making his heart all aflutter?

Why do you think we keep fighting?

It's tough to take him very seriously when his typical response is to call somebody a ****...

If you don't want to be called a ****, then stop acting like one. A good start would be to stop calling opinions "facts".
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

If you don't want to be called a ****, then stop acting like one.
                              A typical response from you... Something you would expect to hear at a grade school.
                              Thanks for continuing to prove my point.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• In thinking back on the earlier exchange, I'm not so sure I wasn't DanS'd.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X