Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not the point. I expect the Illini to be competitive for the league title maybe twice in a good decade. But finishing 2nd (and getting a decent bowl bid) will be, on average, much more attainable in the B10West.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• "The experts" expect Wisconsin to have a phenomenal year, like maybe even undefeated.
      I know it's just the Big 10, but still...
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I'm really hoping Nebraska wins the Big 12 and plays a Big Ten team for the national title this season.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Don't get your hopes too high. You're sounding a little giddy. I guess it's nice for you that starting next year you might actually be competitive.
          You notice that no one chased after Nebraska and asked them not to leave?
          Do you notice that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State wants to follow Texas' lead, not Nebraska's? Former Big 8 with Nebraska.
          Where's the love?
          The Big 12 may not even disband.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• I guess it's nice for you that starting next year you might actually be competitive.

Yeah, Texas sure beat Nebraska badly in the Big 12 Championship game last year. It wasn't a competitive game at all!

You notice that no one chased after Nebraska and asked them not to leave?

Why was the President of Kansas begging Nebraska to stay in the Big 12? Why did Texas issue an ultimatum to Nebraska to commit to the Big 12? Why is Texas blowing up the Big 12 now that Nebraska has left? If no one in the Big 12 cared about Nebraska leaving, they sure had a funny way of showing it.

Do you notice that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State wants to follow Texas' lead, not Nebraska's? Former Big 8 with Nebraska.
            Where's the love?

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State can't follow Nebraska to the Big Ten, as the Big Ten doesn't want them. Texas can, however, and they'd be wise to do so.

It's disbanding on Tuesday.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Assuming it disbands, Kansas will lose it's game with Kansas State. A rivalry dating back 100 years. That's why Kansas asked Nebraska to stay and not create problems.

Texas will not go to the Big 10. You can bank that fact. If A&M goes SEC, Texas will definitely keep the game with OU, and OSU is going the way of Texas. A&M goes nowhere if the Big 12 keeps going.

You don't know that it will disband at all. If it does, it doesn't affect the other points.
              Nebraska is just full of whiners.

Comment

• Assuming it disbands, Kansas will lose it's game with Kansas State.

Why? All indications are that Kansas and Kansas State are going to end up together in some other conference, unless KU lucks out and gets the last spot in the Pac-16 if A&M goes to the SEC.

That's why Kansas asked Nebraska to stay and not create problems.

Kansas asked Nebraska to stay because everyone knew that Texas would consider the Big 12 unworthy of saving without Nebraska and would leave the conference.

Texas will not go to the Big 10.

Probably not. The Big Ten offers Texas the largest financial and academic benefits, but Texas would rather have more power in a lesser conference, it seems. This is hardly a surprise to those of us who have shared a conference with Texas for years.

You don't know that it will disband at all.

I'm 99% sure.

Nebraska is just full of whiners.

You're the one doing all the whining at the moment. I'm adopting the smug air of superiority that comes from knowing your school is safely ensconced in a top conference.

I guess that means I'm turning into a Michigan fan.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post

Kansas asked Nebraska to stay because everyone knew that Texas would consider the Big 12 unworthy of saving without Nebraska and would leave the conference.
                    More delusions of grandeur by the Nebraska faithful.

Comment

• Anyone with half a brain can see that Nebraska's exit for the Big Ten is the catalyst for Texas' exit, Sloww. I know you aren't a member of that intellectual company, but surely someone down there can explain what's happening to you.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• As much as I usually don't agree with Drake... He has a point Sloww.

If Nebraska leaving the conference wasn't such a big deal, why wouldn't Texas just gut it out, and have the Big 12 find a replacement. Texas pretty much controls the Big 12. Why kill the golden egg if Nebraska was just another team. It's obvious that Texas doesn't feel that the Big 12 is worth staying with, without Nebraska.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post

It's disbanding on Tuesday.
                          Not so fast.

Late television negotiations by Commissioner Dan Beebe persuaded the Longhorns, Oklahoma and Texas A&M not to jump to the Pac-10 or the SEC.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• God, I'm glad Nebraska got out when they could. Texas just bent the rest of the conference over even further, yet the Longhorns still won't make as much money as they could in the Big Ten. I sort of understand why Texas is happy with this (power/potential of Longhorn Sports Network > sure money/academic prestige), but why would Oklahoma and Texas A&M go along with this? Go to the SEC, you fools...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                              As much as I usually don't agree with Drake... He has a point Sloww.

If Nebraska leaving the conference wasn't such a big deal, why wouldn't Texas just gut it out, and have the Big 12 find a replacement. Texas pretty much controls the Big 12. Why kill the golden egg if Nebraska was just another team. It's obvious that Texas doesn't feel that the Big 12 is worth staying with, without Nebraska.
                              It isn't decided yet. No one cares if Nebraska leaves. Who is following Nebraska? Nobody. Who would follow Texas, come or go? Most. So you see, it's not a Texas thing, it's a Nebraska thing. Colorado matters even less, if that's possible.

Edit: Yes, it's known.

Texas will remain a Big 12 Conference member, the university announced on Monday.

University president William Powers Jr., men's athletics director DeLoss Dodds and women's athletics director Chris Plonsky will hold a news conference at 11 a.m. ET on Tuesday.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe will also address the media on a teleconference at noon ET.

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott confirmed that Texas has turned down an invitation to leave the Big 12 and join his conference.

In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Scott confirms that Texas has rejected the Pac-10's offer.

The news first was reported by The Dallas Morning News.

Texas A&M will also continue as a member of the Big 12, a school source told ESPN's Kelly Naqi.

Texas A&M regent Gene Stallings said earlier Monday he wanted the Big 12 to survive and would vote to keep the Aggies in the league if they don't get a much better offer. Stallings told The Associated Press that keeping the Big 12 together "would tickle me to death."

Stallings coached Alabama to a football national championship in 1992. He has said that if Texas A&M does move, he'd rather see the Aggies go to the SEC than the Pac-10, but his comments Monday suggested that would be a last resort.

Stallings says he expects Texas A&M regents to meet later this week.

Texas had a meeting Monday with the other remaining nine schools in the Big 12 about a TV deal included in a plan put together by Beebe that would keep the league intact with its current programs, according to multiple reports.

Based on a TV deal in the works that could pay upwards of $25 million per year, Texas leaned toward staying in a 10-team Big 12 for the foreseeable future, Orangebloods.com reported, citing sources familiar with negotiations.

Nebraska is just Arkansas, only flatter. Arkansas jumped ship to the SEC, and that worked out just REAL well for them.
                              Rivalries count more than some of you people will acknowledge. Arkansas could have stayed and kept rivalries and gotten money, too, just like Nebraska could have done. Toodle-loo, rivalry with Oklahoma. Have fun playing Purdue. That should pack the stadium.
                              Last edited by SlowwHand; June 14, 2010, 20:18.

Comment

• Look at the annual guaranteed TV bucks. And for every Purdue, there's an OSU. I sincerely doubt Nebraska will have trouble filling the stadium in the foreseeable future.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X