AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 09/10 (II): We're very perverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, was a good article.

If Kipper has another down year, I can see him being traded for a 'change of scenery'. But I still hold out hope that behind a Sutter-coached elite defensive corps he'll rebound to '04 form, or close to.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      Yeah, was a good article.

If Kipper has another down year, I can see him being traded for a 'change of scenery'. But I still hold out hope that behind a Sutter-coached elite defensive corps he'll rebound to '04 form, or close to.
      You don't need to go back to 04 to see Kipper in that form. Although he was disappointing in 09 playoffs against the Hawks and 08 versus the Sharks, Go back to 07 versus the Wings. Even though the Flames lost that series in 6 games, I would point to that as as good an example of goaltending over a 6 game period as I have ever seen. The Flames were outclassed at every turn yet Kipper kept them in it. It was simply amazing. If he had been anywhere near that level of play last year, the Flames would have been deep in the playoffs.

AS for trading him?? he gets cheaper as his contract goes on but does come with a substantial cap hit. I actually wouldn't have looked at trading him as a first option-- My first option would have been and still would be to get a real backup keeper that the coach believed in so like on most teams, if the starter has a bad few games they might sit and actually have the bachkup win a few in a row. Ice time would be earned by good play, not bequeathed from on high as some sort of perpetual right.

Actually thats something I like about Brents reputation. He is known for rewarding effort with more ice time. So while Jarome might get 24 minutes when he is on fire, if he is lacklustre maybe he gets 15. Last year I hated how Keenan kept firing out the same sleepwalking "top players" while the 3rd and 4th line guys sat for super long spells even after very energetic and chance-filled shifts
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Another game, another point for Fleury a few minutes in...he's got at least 1 point in each game so far.

The bastard may end up making the team after all. Even if for a little bit...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Curtis Clengross is a machine. A low-budget machine.

Comment

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

(\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Safe to assume he isn't pointing at the score?

[action=Sparrowhawk][/action]
                  "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Gretzky is out as coach in Phoenix.

Comment

Gretzky is out as coach in Phoenix.
                      That was inevitable.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Are you guys ready for all of the whining from Vancouver fans about all of their injuries?

What did they expect in signing Demitra and Schneider?

Schneider, Demitra can't shoulder loads and go on long-term injury reserve

By BENKUZMA THU, SEP 24 2009 COMMENTS(1) THE WHITE TOWEL

With Mathieu Schneider and Pavol Demitra going on long-term injury reserve, the Vancouver Canucks have found wiggle room under the salary cap ceiling.
                        Schneider confirmed Thursday morning that offseason shoulder surgery will keep the 40-year-old defenceman from opening the regular season on Oct. 1 at Calgary. Although he has been practising, Schneider has not been able to take contact. The news is worse for Demitra, who hasn't even healed enough to practice. Offseason shoulder surgery could keep the winger sidelined until November.
                        For Schneider, expected to play in the top six and anchor one of the power-play units, his decision didn't come as much of a surprise.
                        "I'm comfortable with it and we talked about it [Wednesday night]," said Schneider. "I've got to get the shoulder to feel strong enough to play and I'm not ready to take a hit."
                        A sidelined Schneider will put Shane O'Brien back into the top-six mix with Kevin Bieksa, Willie Mitchell, Sami Salo, Alex Edler and Christian Ehrhoff. A sidelined Demitra will make the second line a bigger question mark with Ryan Kesler wondering if Mikael Samuelsson will be one of his wingers and just who will fill the other void.

Comment

hey asher
                          Text Size
                          When Theo Fleury announced in the summer that he would be mounting an attempt at a comeback in the National Hockey League, reactions ranged from extreme pessimism to optimistic sentimentality and everything in between.

The case against Fleury making the team heading into the pre-season? He was 41 years old, had not played an NHL game in more than six years (April 2003) and had battled substance abuse and personal demons en route to a downward spiral from professional hockey.

The case for a successful return? There was an emotional element to things that gave the 5'6 sniper a leg up heading in; he was part of Flames folklore. Fleury was drafted by the team 166th overall in the eighth round of the 1987 NHL Entry Draft. He brought home the franchise's last Stanley Cup back in 1989. In 1990-91, Fleury had 51 goals and 53 assists for a career-high 104 points. He had NHL seven seasons with more than 70 points and was a seven-time All-Star. He was a gifted player with eerily omniscient hockey sense and he had over 1000 games of NHL experience with four teams. That's a lot of leadership to bring to the locker room of a club that hasn't made it past the first round of the playoffs since 2004.

"He's one of the most competitive guys I've ever played with and he's always set a good example in that area and literally he's right at the top in his love of the game and his competitive level," said Flames superstar Jarome Iginla at the team's camp. "It's definitely a good example for all of us."

So now, four games into a schedule of exhibition contests that essentially double as one big tryout for the team, Fleury has a goal and three assists and he has, at times, looked like a player possessed, and one half his age at that.

There are still cynics out there but it's safe to say there are probably more believers than before the pre-season, when many wondered if Fleury would even be able to find his legs once he hit the ice. Count Fleury himself among the group of believers.

"I know what I can do on the ice whether I've been out of the game for six or 60 years - it doesn't matter," he said on Wednesday. "You have that hockey mind, you have that hockey sense and as long as you know you can keep up, then everything else should take care of itself."

So with the team's final cuts just days away, what's the general buzz in Calgary? Many are saying that Fleury has been better than most - if not all - of the much younger players that were expected to be pushing for jobs on the Flames' final roster; players like Kyle Greentree, Jason Jaffray, Kris Chucko and several others.

Fleury did receive a helpful bonus that most of the other potential candidates did not; he was given a spot on the second line with established players in every pre-season game so far. The Flames have been giving Fleury the benefit of the doubt and pushing him to succeed by matching him up with linemates like Daymond Langkow, Curtis Glencross, Nigel Dawes and others.

So the question remains: with his dazzling performance thus far, how could the Flames go about cutting him? It's possible Fleury might be offered a spot on the team; alternatively, he could be given a minor league contract. Some in Cowtown are arguing that if Fleury was 15 years younger and producing these kinds of numbers, he would be given a shot at the final roster hands down. Age aside, the grizzled veteran knows that at the end of the day it's what he does on the ice that will determine the outcome of this challenging mission.

"All I want to do is continue to get better and better and I think for the most part I've been able to accomplish that. I'm really happy and really looking forward to being in the lineup," said Fleury. "I think I've gotten better each game. In [the NHL game] now you have to keep your feet moving all the time, so I've been really trying to concentrate on that part mostly."

The Oxbow, Saskatchewan native said he was most anxious not during these first games back but rather before a physical that took place before the puck even dropped.

"The biggest worry for me was that fitness test a couple of Saturdays ago because I had no idea where I was physically," Fleury said. "When I tested as well as I did, that gave me some confidence."

Back on May 22, the Flames fired then-head coach Mike Keenan and proceeded to hire Brent Sutter on June 23. That gave the team a clean slate, meaning Fleury now doesn't have the disadvantage of having to catch up on a well-established system of coaching that's already been in place.

"I'm basically starting where everyone else is; with a new coach, new coaching staff," he said. "You just want to learn the system and try not to make mistakes out there and when you do get the opportunities to put the puck in the net, you have to put the puck in the net."

It will be only a matter of days before Flames fans find out if Theo Fleury will once again be donning the team's jersey for more than just the next pre-season game. The story has also taken on meaning for hockey fans outside of Calgary - if Fleury is able to crack the roster, it will transcend the realm of being just a sports issue and will become a personal interest story, a story of redemption.

Whether or not Fleury makes the team, even the most cynical onlooker has to admit he has made a very good run at things. The thing that Fleury was best known for during his first successful run in the NHL - his passion - has certainly not died out with time. He's hoping he'll have a chance to prove that during the regular season. It's not long until the verdict.

Oh and in other news
                          Assigned forwards Mikael Backlund and Brett Sutter and defenseman Matt Pelech to Abbotsford (AHL).
                          That opens some space I guess
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The Herald mentioned Fleury weighed 215lbs (and he's 5'6) back in February when he decided to try a comeback.

And now he's 180lbs and placed 11th on the roster in fitness testing (out of 54(!)).

Comment

The Herald mentioned Fleury weighed 215lbs (and he's 5'6) back in February when he decided to try a comeback.

And now he's 180lbs and placed 11th on the roster in fitness testing (out of 54(!)).

well he is apparently improving pretty well at camp-- being in shape would be a necessity at 41 I would think-- for him to outperform 75% of those 20somethings is pretty amazing though

Now with 4 points in 4 games-- and yes its "only' pre-season but hell he is making it tougher for them to send him down-- I wonder might they try him as a stopgap in the top 6 and let Backlund get more seasoning

Comment

IIRC he has 5 points in 4 games. One game he had 1g 1a.

Comment

Working...
                                X