This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football -- Better Than Ever

OK, gents. Fall camp is opening. We're gearing up. Tailgates are being planned.

It's great to be alive.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Pre-season coaches poll...

1. Florida (53 first-place votes)
    2. Texas (4)
    3. Oklahoma (1)
    4. Southern California (1)
    5. Alabama
    6. Ohio State
    7. Virginia Tech
    8. Penn State
    9. LSU
    10. Ole Miss
    11. Oklahoma State
    12. California
    13. Georgia
    14. Oregon
    15. Georgia Tech
    16. Boise State
    17. Texas Christian
    18. Utah
    19. Florida State
    20. North Carolina
    21. Iowa
    22. Nebraska
    23. Notre Dame
    24. Brigham Young
    25. Oregon State

Last edited by DanS; August 7, 2009, 13:52.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Seems about right. USC is probably rated too highly. Same with OSU. It will be fun to watch USC v. OSU on Sept. 12.

Comment

119. Michigan

USC is going to murder Ohio State.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I think it's possible that Michigan will be respectable this year. A solid running game is relatively easy to implement and that's Rodriguez's trademark. Some things have happened this past year that give me pause, however -- e.g., losing offensive linemen left and right.

The USC/OSU game might be closer than you think, given that USC is breaking in a new QB.

Comment

USC, though, has all five starters back on the offensive line. That and absolutely ridiculous running backs.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

All of which will make the QB's job much easier. However, USC has thrived on a balanced attack, and it hasn't been demonstrated that Corp can provide the passing half of that balance. NB: I'm not saying that he can't, just that it hasn't been demonstrated.

Comment

Colt McCoy of Texas will be playing "lights out" this year. He's already good, but he showed good sense and stayed.
                Mike Leach at Texas Tech has some losses to replace, but he's good. They're not ranked yet, but they may end up that way.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                  I think it's possible that Michigan will be respectable this year. A solid running game is relatively easy to implement and that's Rodriguez's trademark. Some things have happened this past year that give me pause, however -- e.g., losing offensive linemen left and right.

What, guys who don't want to work hard or can't keep their grades up? Bah.

I think the OL will be better this year: guys have a year in the system, plus hopefully they'll stay healthy, so they can gel as a unit. Injuries were a big problem last year, compounded by inexperience.

I'm really looking forward to a QB who is not Sheridammit.

I'm hoping for a bowl.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

As if my life as a Michigan alumnus living in Columbus couldn't possibly get any worse...

Comment

My sympathies.

It's probably BS. Rosenberg is an anti-Rodriguez hack. The article has more innuendo than fact. How much of the time falls into mandatory, and how much voluntary? It doesn't say.

Have you read the MGoBlog posts tagged Free Press Jihad?
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

Take off the blinders, mon ami.

Rosenberg is not a hack. He is a very talented sports journalist. Rodriguez screwed the pooch, and no amount of wishful thinking will change that. Michigan football, even in the worst of times, has had it's reputation for sportsmenship and abiding by the rules to fall back on. He just pissed all over that.

Comment

Have to agree with Guy here. Michigan has run a clean program, at least as far as sportsmanship and NCAA compliance goes. They've got RR dead to rights. Although past experience tells us that it will take a few years to haul out his fetid carcass because he has a knack for winning games.

Comment

OSU

Michigan
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                              Take off the blinders, mon ami.

Rosenberg is not a hack. He is a very talented sports journalist. Rodriguez screwed the pooch, and no amount of wishful thinking will change that. Michigan football, even in the worst of times, has had it's reputation for sportsmenship and abiding by the rules to fall back on. He just pissed all over that.

Rosenberg is anti-Rodriguez, and I threw in hack because he's not objective in this regard. It has yet to be proven that Rodriguez screwed the pooch. The article didn't prove anything. I will wait till see what U-M's investigation shows, and if they find anything, what sort of consequences there will be, self- or NCAA-imposed.

Comment

Working...
                              X