Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread XX: Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not so sure. The Slovak seems to stick his right leg out making the Italian onside.

match Slovakia - Italy Group FIFA World Cup 2010 South AFrica

Like the disallowed US goal, it is a matter of milliseconds: when exactly is the ball struck and where are the players' feet at that time? I don't blame the linesman. It's an extremely hard call to make not the least because it likely decided the match. The onus was however on Italy not to put themselves in that situation, but they always seem to sleepwalk until it's do or die time and then barely scrape by.

These are the kinds of situations I'd be open to video review of. Let everyone play as if he's onside, then if a goal is scored have a time out by request from one of the coaches (limited number of challenges per match). Or to preserve the referee's authority it can be left up to his decision, although I think that would be suboptimal.

Comment

• You may be right. I was focused on the torsos and missed that leg.

As for the video replays, forget it. I think most soccer fans would rather have the occasional bad calls, especially since it gives us something to gripe about, than the delays caused by a replay system.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Its been a strange world cup so far. Both Italy and France out in group play. Both England and Germany less than impressive. All we need now is for Netherlands to lose to Cameroon (who havent shown me anything so far) and I'll keep my eyes open for plague of locusts and toads.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• It is interesting how the Round of 16 ended up. There are 6 European squads in the Round of 16... each of them are playing another European squad (Netherlands v. Slovakia, Germany v. England, and Spain v. Portugal). There is also 1 African squad, 2 North American squads, 2 Asian squads, and 5 South American squads (and in only one matchup - Brazil v. Chile - is one playing another SA squad).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I'm sure we went through the who thing about the nomenclature of 'teams' v 'squads' four years ago.

Never mind.

A psychic octopus has predicted that Germany will beat England. They know their stuff, these octopi.

An octopus picks Germany over England, in the latest of a string of predictions that have made it a national celebrity.

Comment

• I think it would be awfully embarrassing for England to lose to a team coached by a man wearing a cardigan.

Comment

• Better than losing to a team coached by a crazy person in the next round.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                  these octopi.
                  Octopodes.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Damn! -10 points for me on QI.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                      Octopodes.
                      vuvuzelae

Comment

• But it's vuvuzelas, because there is no Latin root.

Comment

• plural of vuvuzela is migraine.

Comment

• Apologies to all my US friends for everything I may say today, but Ghana are my team this World Cup:

Get in Ghana!

"His shirt says 'Prince', and he is funky"

Comment

• I'll even forgive him his Spursness.

Comment

• Who was that player who had a huge chunk taken out of his knee in the last couple of days? It was a complete accident, but it made me ill looking at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X