Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports and Technology Forums Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports and Technology Forums Discussion.

The new administration has decided to hold a vote to see if the Sports and Technology forums should be maintained or merged back into the general Off Topic. There will be a one week discussion (May 18 - May 24) during which members can campaign for their point of view, and then a new thread with a poll that will be open for one week (May 25 - May 31) to decide the issue.

Discussion should be kept to this thread, which I've also copied to the Sports and Technology forums. The voting thread, however, will only be posted in the Off Topic.

The options for the poll will be:

1. Keep both the Sports and Technology forums.
    2. Keep only the Sports forum.
    3. Keep only the Technology forum.
    4. Merge both forums back into the Off Topic.
    5. Create a new banana sub-forum.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Keep the sports forum... and since I don't really post in the Tech forum, no opinion on that.

The sports forum is a vibrant community and has more traffic than most of the dead on topic forums.

And I think it's silly to hold the vote in the Off Topic forum... it should be held here where people actually care about sports... the people who actually use this forum. There are many people in the OTF that don't care about sports, or about this forum.. why should their vote matter. Let the sports forum community decide it's own fate.

And last... make it a post response vote instead of a poll... that way, you can get a real feel of what the sports forum community wants instead of what a bunch of trolls from the OTF want.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Keep Sports. Sports enthusiasts want it separate. Fold Tech back into OT, since Tech posters have requested it in the past.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
        And I think it's silly to hold the vote in the Off Topic forum... it should be held here where people actually care about sports... the people who actually use this forum. There are many people in the OTF that don't care about sports, or about this forum.. why should their vote matter. Let the sports forum community decide it's own fate.
        This is an issue for the entire community, so the entire community is going to vote on it. There are reasons why regular OT members would want sports and technology topics back in the off topic. I've got a sticky thread in both sub-forums so that the individual communities know about it, but it's much easier to keep track of votes in one thread alone.

And last... make it a post response vote instead of a poll... that way, you can get a real feel of what the sports forum community wants instead of what a bunch of trolls from the OTF want.
        That's not a bad idea.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The people that care post here... This is the sports community.
          Why don't you set up a general poll in the OTF and ask if some of the dead On Topic forums should be deleted... same thing.

The decision should be made by the sports community!
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Putting this to a vote is stupid. Some would say gutless.

Make a damn decision and move on.

FWIW: I strongly support keeping the Sports subforum. Don't care about the Tech forum; it's a dead zone.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              Putting this to a vote is stupid. Some would say gutless.
              True enough...
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

I suspect if a decision had been made that people didn't like that wouldn't have gone down well either. At least this way the admins can blame the posters if you get it wrong.

FWIW I like some of Ming's proposals for the vote and certainly back holding the voting threads in the sport/technology forums and post response voting.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

OMG I did the ****ing moderators wink! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Yes you did
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                      I suspect if a decision had been made that people didn't like that wouldn't have gone down well either. At least this way the admins can blame the posters if you get it wrong.
                      As long as it's the sports community making the decision, and not just the more numerious trolls from the OT who don't really give a damn.

Because if the sports community really wants to keep it's own community, and a bunch of trolls take it away from them, then we can and will blame the admin for setting up a stupid vote that was rigged in the first place.
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

The other argument (from arguably a non-troll) is that I miss all the sports threads 'cause I never check the sport forum.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Whose fault is that... NOT OURS.

It is completely stupid and unfair to this community to leave it's fate up to a bunch of people that aren't involved.

Total BS and as JR pointed out... gutless.
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

BOOooooooooo!
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                              Whose fault is that... NOT OURS.

It is completely stupid and unfair to this community to leave it's fate up to a bunch of people that aren't involved.

Total BS and as JR pointed out... gutless.

OTOH the conversation in the staff room might have gone something like. "should we merge the sport and tech forums back in?" "Dunno, don't really know what people think about it..." "Let's ask them!"

But yes, I am a founder member of the Hall of Fame because it's very easy to rig these votes, we are fully aware of that and will take it into account.

No-one's trying to screw you over.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X