This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby - Six Nations, S14, Lions, Can't Wait

And M'sieur Michalak can't make the French squad. Hmmmm.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Lièvremont thinks Michalak is a 9, not a 10, and that there are better scrum halves. I tend to agree with him in the sense Michalak could be a much better 9 than 10, but then I disagree as I'm not sure we have many better 10... So I'm not sure it's very clever to pick only one fly half in a group of 30 players. I like Beauxis, but he plays 15 most of the time, and there's no back-up (I mean it ould have to be Jauzion or Elissalde...).
    The way the selection has been made is a bit surprising. 3 scrum halves and only one fly half??
    Also, considering the poor performances of French clubs in the H Cup (I mean, even Toulouse managed to lose against the Scots), I'm not overly optimistic for les Bleus.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Yes, Lièvremont said Skrela was in front of Michalak. Skrela isn't even in front of Michalak alphabetically. M'sieur Lièvremont is a ninny.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Just got back from watching Cardiff Blues' lazy demolition of Calvisano, which puts us into an unassailable position as #1 seeds for the knockout part of the of the Heineken Cup and home field advantage in the Millennium Stadium until the final - assuming we make it that far.

Also looking forward to the 6N kicking off cos, well, we got a good chance innit!?
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Calvisano, hm? Well, Biarritz stuffed Glos, kind of putting last week into perspective. There's talk of Dean Ryan returning to Wasps. Would they want him?

And I hate this new forum format. Why is the stupid thing so wide that I have to scroll across to read everything?

Comment

Originally posted by finbar View Post
            Well, Biarritz stuffed Glos, kind of putting last week into perspective.
            Yes, we ground out an impressive away win in Biarritz last month.

Comment

Oh, and, on balance, I don't think Lewis Moody is a huge loss. Experienced, yes; effective, probably. But a liability in terms of discipline. Cripes, with Moody and Julian White in the same team, the oppo would have a penalty party.

Will Skinner to replace Moody. And also as skipper in lieu of Borthwick. Neither will happen, of course. Sadly.

Yes, we ground out an impressive away win in Biarritz last month.
              Everyone is beating French teams. Even Scottish teams are beating French teams.
              Last edited by finbar; January 24, 2009, 06:24.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar View Post
                Everyone is beating French teams. Even Scottish teams are beating French teams.
                Well, Bath didn't manage to, despite the weather and Elissalde missing something like 5 kicks out of 6.
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

But they didn't lose either...

Looks like we've got your lot in the Quarter Finals.

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                    Well, Bath didn't manage to, despite the weather and Elissalde missing something like 5 kicks out of 6.
                    Yes, pity about the weather. Turned the game into a lottery. And exactly why the skipper made Elissalde take several of those kicks from 40m out in those conditions is beyond me. Elissalde clearly wasn't happy, and I don't blame him. Why Pelous didn't go into the corner and use his forwards' obvious superiority to drive at the line is puzzling.

Still, the result sets up some interesting QFs. On a dry day, Bath will skin Leicester unless Leicester find some method in lieu of the madness that goes on behind their pack. Unlike Ospreys, who didn't have the courage - or a sufficiently-skilled #10 - to skewer Leicester's one-dimensional defensive game, Bath won't die wondering.
                    Last edited by finbar; January 26, 2009, 04:20. Reason: I'm forgetful

Comment

Good 'eavens. Martin Corry is cited for eye surgery and Julian White isn't. Sounds suss to me.

Comment

No surprise to see Mr Meyer leave Tigers, regardless of his unfortunate personal circumstances. He hadn't achieved any more than the Argie did and with a greater opportunity. Hopefully his hopeless #10 heads back to South Africa with him.

Comment

Elissalde won't play against Ireland.
                          The French team will thus sport a scrum half with little international experience, be it Tillous Bordes or Parra, and a fly half who mostly palys full back in his club, with a center (Jauzion) as only replacement.
                          I think Tillous Bordes may already have played with Beauxis, but I don't think Parra has. I think the Irish back row will have some fun testing the French halves.

Comment

The French coach seems to enjoy making life difficult for himself and the team.

Carlos Spencer is leaving Saints. As flaky and arrogant as he is, he'd be a better bet for Leicester than Hougaard. Probably a couple of years too old, unfortunately.

Comment

Jeez, if Glos and Irish are the two best teams in English rugby, and the competition table says they are, you have to worry about English rugby. Even allowing for the absence of some key players, Glos were an uncoordinated rabble for 85 minutes yesterday. Not a lot worse than when I saw them earlier in the season when they had their full complement of players. Irish can play some very exciting rugby, but they simply choked yesterday. On top of some very peculiar substitutions at key moments that did their cause no good at all.

I also can't fathom the media response to the match. The consensus seems to be that it was a superb Glos comeback. Bollocks. Three or four stupid Irish penalties in front of the sticks hauled Glos back into the match. The final pass leading to the Balshaw try was yards forward. Someone likes to kid themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X