X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...sponsored by Under Armor.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This may be a reason why Sheets won't get close to $10mil/year

Free-agent pitcher Ben Sheets is considering elbow surgery that would probably keep him out for most, if not all, of the 2009 season, according to a major league source familiar with Sheets' medical prognosis.

Free-agent pitcher Ben Sheets is considering elbow surgery that would probably keep him out for most, if not all, of the 2009 season, according to a major league source familiar with Sheets' medical prognosis.

The surgery would repair the torn flexor tendon in his pitching elbow that kept Sheets from pitching for the Brewers in the NLDS and limited him to just two abbreviated starts over the final 2½ weeks of the regular season. The normal recovery time from the procedure, according to the source, is nine to 10 months.
        The injury had not previously been believed to be serious. And in fact, some teams that had pursued Sheets this winter seemed to be more concerned about his shoulder than his elbow.

But it's believed the actual nature of the injury was uncovered after he failed a physical given by the Rangers' physicians, after tentatively agreeing to a two-year contract with Texas.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

If that is indeed correct, that does indeed change the picture. As reported, nobody originally thought he was currently seriously injured, and that he was just considered a possible risk. Even up to a few days ago, there was some talk of the Cubs still going after him.

So... based on new information, there is no way he will get the money he would be worth if he was healthy.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That was always a risk though... and Sheets was not getting offers anywhere near $10 mil a year.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

At this point, he should just have the surgery and take the year off.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I guess it's time to admit I was mistaken.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Don't do it, rah!!! What will people think -- that reason, logic and/or FACTS should influence disagreements in Internet forums??????

Think of the children! Say it ain't so!

Comment

In other, no **** sherlock news, A-Rod test positive for steroids in 2003:

According to a report by Sports Illustrated, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for anabolic steroids in 2003, when he was with the Texas Rangers and won the AL home run title and MVP award.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Only a matter of time, really.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Everyone's on roids!

Comment

Wake me when there's steroid news worth mentioning. Can't wait to see this get completely blown out of proportion; same as what happens with every positive result of a high-profile athlete.
                          CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                          Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                          Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                          Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

If A-Rod testing positive isn't "worth mentioning" than who is?

Not that I think its some sort of horrible thing (I don't care about roid usage), but that's a strange comment to make.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, steroid tests that were done 6 years ago (and whose release is, of course, in blatant violation of the MLB CBA, but I won't go there) aren't worth mentioning any more. What is worth mentioning are the steroid tests that are being failed now, and the steps that are being taken now to educate athletes on the dangers and consequences of doping, to prevent future positive tests, and restore sports' integrity now rather than dwelling on the past. We all suspected A-Rod used, but after this, he's going to dominate the headlines for the whole year when there will be more relevant stories to the here and now that should be focused on.

And this is not to defend A-Rod. I've never been one of his apologists, despite being a Yankee fan. The way the Floyd Landis case was handled (with pretty much every one of Landis's legitimate arguments being trampled on and ignored on the way to Landis being metaphorically strung up by his balls for everyone to take shots at) exposed the truth about what the war on steroids is really about: it's about the publicity that comes with taking a big-shot athlete down, rather than any sincere effort at cleaning up sports.

Until that approach changes, there won't be any steroid news worthy of mention. (Of course, you and I will probably be long dead when that happens, if ever.)
                              CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                              Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                              Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                              Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

We all suspected A-Rod used
                                No we didn't. Back when Bonds was breaking Aaron's record, there were people all over the place saying they hope A-Rod takes it back from Bonds so a non-roided player has the record again.

Comment

Working...
                                X