X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    Blackhawks pwn the Flames again, 5-2!
    Season series sweep!

Hawks now 11-0 vs. Canadian teams this season. w00t!
    11-1 At least we put in a showing towards the end.

Do we get to whine about the refs giving us all the penalties like certain Cards fans do in the other thread
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
      Blackhawks pwn the Flames again, 5-2!
      Season series sweep!

Hawks now 11-0 vs. Canadian teams this season. w00t!
      and of course, as soon as someone starts bragging about it, the streak ends-- still a good streak-- I see the Hawks as a very good team and will be interested to see how far they get in the playoffs-- Typically even the most talented youg players need to face a little playoff adversity before they win the big prize but every now and again there have been teams that don't follow that path.

---------------------------------------------

Tonight -- my two favorite teams in the world play each other-- -- I just cannot seem to bring myself to go against my Habs roots despite my current location. So tonight I am a Habs fan first

Both are struggling so I think no matter what I am hoping for overtime-- each could use a point

The Flames actually played reasonably well Saturday. The defense was pretty solid except for two embarrasing gaffes (one by Phaneuf and another by Pardy) that both ended up in the net. But the powerplay was inneffective and Iggy continues his invisible man act that has been prevalent this season (despite reasonably good numbers). The team really didn't seem to get it together until partway through the game but the Anaheim d and goalie were up to the task

A four game slide! . . . its now beyond the 2-3 game losing blips that will inevitably happen-- and its not a case of their goalie losing games for them-- goalkeeping has been solid throughout for the Flames and three of their losses have been by one goal-- But the key for a good team is to be winning some of these close contests-- and the Flames need to step it up before their cushion totally evaporates. They soon have to go on the road for a lengthy spell and it would be nice for them to get back to a pace where making the playoffs is a foregone conclusion.

les habs?-- Poor Carey Price looks forlorn. I saw his interview after the Leafs game and the kid looks like the weight of the world is on his shoulders. I think he will come around but hell he needs to cheer up and get some perspective-- Its not as if his teammates have been lighting the world on fire lately

So there are a lot of similarities-- two teams that should be good enough to easily make the playoffs but are currently struggling such that their safety margin is reduced. Neither should be panicked but they don't look anywhere near as secure as they used to look. Both should be highly motivated so I am HOPING for a great game. Best result might be Habs 2-1 shootout win with Price and Kipper both stopping 40 shots
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I actually managed to watch the Vancouver game on Saturday, one of the rare ones I see these days. It was good to see them put in a decent effort after sucking it up so badly a while back. Sundin finally seems to be rounding into form, too. They just can't stop doing the whole "ok, we're ahead - all we're going to do is try to protect the lead" thing, though. It's been driving me up the wall for years.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• The Flames are schooling the Habs tonight.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
            The Flames are schooling the Habs tonight.
            That comment does not even begin to address how awful the Habs effort was. Credit the Flames with a good effort but consider

1. The Habs led 2-1 after a first period in which they got dominated-- they made two nice plays for their goals and otherwise generated zip. Halak was great

2. In the second period they started by killing off a 5-3 powerplay-- and then got a powerplay themselves-- so one would think a big momentum in their favor right? Wrong!! Shorthanded goal Lombardi. (I clapped because I have always liked Lomabardi even though I think he needs to be grittier)

3. Phaneuf scores less than 40 seconds after the shorty-- but still its only 3-2 Flames when the Habs get another PP opportunity. Its their big chance to turn it around!! In the momentum changer of the night, Kipper made a big stop and seconds later Boyd raced away for the second SH goal on the night (I clapped because I really like Boyd and think he deserves better than 4th line status)

4. At 4-2 Flames the Canadiens essentially folded up tent and left town. They were outshot something like 20-3 in the second period and only seemed to make some perfunctory long range attempts to up their shot total in the 3rd.

I have seen some bad efforts by the Flames. I have seen some bad efforts by visiting teams. I have seen gaffes, miscues, horrendous goaltending .. . the whole gamut of bad play

But I do not know that I have ever seen any (supposed playoff) team waste what was a good goalltending effort and so completely and utterly surrender.

I have been a Habs fan for many years. One performance or even a single year would never change that. Allegences run deep. BUT, man it was hard to find anything much positive in what they showed MOnday. I might understand a team folding up if the goalie lets in three weak goals-- But to have your goalie hold you in through a pretty awful first period and then just stink up the joint the rest of the way? They ALL owe Halak an apology
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• The Habs were even worse tonight.

ASTONISHING.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

carey Price was even worse tonight.

ASTONISHING.
                fixed

I didn't see all the game but Price seemed awful compared with Halak being a star and holding them in it fo far longer than they deserved. Last night the shots on goal favored the Habs by a wide margin-- I don't know how many of those were quality chances. From what I saw, Price let in everything in the first period so that the game was lost very very early. A lot of teams fold up tent in that situation.

But the bottom line is that a Montreal team that looked very good early in the year, now looks listless, leaderless, heck they look downright disinterested. Heck even when TO came to town they looked alive, interested etc-- They looked enthusiastic, just they made a lot of gaffes. Montreal on the other hand looked like a team going through the motions

Comment

• Hey, it's not Price's fault. He's cute. So, it must've been the team infront of him.

Comment

• Week 18

Code:
                    Rank   Team                W-L-T    Pct Pts Last Week Wv Mvs
                    1.  Ice Hawks             72-41-31 .608 175   4-2-2    6   2 
                    2.  Derelique My Balls    77-53-14 .583 168   2-5-1   11  14 
                    3.  Road Kill             75-51-18 .583 168   2-4-2    9  21 
                    4.  Flubber's Folly       73-49-22 .583 168   2-2-4    4  42 
                    5.  Blaine's Bruisers     71-54-19 .559 161   5-3-0   10   3 
                    6.  The Pantless Pirates  70-53-21 .559 161   5-2-1   12  24 
                    7.  Malicious Pacifists   65-57-22 .528 152   6-1-1    5  18 
                    8.  Haunted House Boos    62-54-28 .528 152   3-5-0    3   8 
                    9.  Matthew Modines       59-63-22 .486 140   2-6-0   13  13 
                    10. Calamitous Intent     58-69-17 .462 133   6-2-0    1   7 
                    11. Kanadiens             47-69-28 .424 122   2-2-4    2   - 
                    12. Televised Hawks       45-73-26 .403 116   1-6-1    8   4 
                    13. CrONoS_QC             46-83-15 .372 107   6-2-0   14   2 
                    14. Siddiqui Storm        37-88-19 .323  93   2-6-0    7   1
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Okay, clearly I should not manage my team. It did far better when I was forgetting to set lineups then when I *did* set lineups... sigh ...

Comment

• Kipper kicked ass tonight.

Comment

• That's a push, he'd have been in roster moves or not... but shutouts

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                            Okay, clearly I should not manage my team. It did far better when I was forgetting to set lineups then when I *did* set lineups... sigh ...
                            The game can be frustrating.

I have had convincing wins vs the top teams and losses vs the bottom.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• There's nothing more humiliating than being shut out by Imran.

I still hurt from that.

Comment

Kipper kicked ass tonight.
                                Yup-- it was all him again tonight

He stole a point in Anaheim and he stole two more in LA as the the Flames were clearly outplayed in both games

While I am delighted at Kipper showing some superstar form, his excellence masks the fact that now the Flames have not been that great in something like 6 of their last 7. They crushed Montreal but otherwise have not looked that good. It may seem to be nitpicking when they have gotten 5 points of 6 lately but I always look at the underlying play and the reality is that the Flames in these two games had numerous defensive breakdowns and did not generate nearly enough offence. They were actually far better in a couple of the games in the four game skid. THis is completely unlike their good stretch when there was a string of games where they looked like they could crush the world

So a mixed blessing. The Flames were not good. But Kipper is showing he can still steal a game

Comment

Working...
                                X