Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was a nailbiter, our matchup. A good one, almost all categories were narrowly won.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Boo in first place? Whodathunkit? Congrats, boo! I'll be passing you soon, but enjoy it for now.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
        Boo in first place? Whodathunkit? Congrats, boo! I'll be passing you soon, but enjoy it for now.
        I like your confidence

Oh but were you expressing confidence in MY team? . After all I play the House of Boo this week and the only way ANYONE catches up is if I can deny him a good few points

Early days-- hell-- 12 of the 14 teams are within 8 points of each other so pretty much everyone is neck and neck-- perhaps it may be this way all year
        Last edited by Flubber; October 20, 2008, 13:16.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
          Boo in first place? Whodathunkit? Congrats, boo! I'll be passing you soon, but enjoy it for now.
          I wish I could claim it my own, but I mised the draft. I DID play with the auto list, and I DID pick put Bert who gave me 4 goals though...

So thanks. I had a good week in the Auction league too

Originally posted by Flubber
          Oh but were you expressing confidence in MY team? . After all I play the House of Boo this week and the only way ANYONE catches up is if I can deny him a good few points
          NOT happening. Alexander the Great and Iggy will become will get out of there slumps and Luongo and/or Price will get a shutout.

Prepare for doom!
          Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

• I would think if anyone is likely to catch Boo it would be the second place team.....as it happens, that 2nd place team is Mine!

p.s. Who are the Kanadiens?

/me
            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Originally posted by mrboo123

NOT happening. Alexander the Great and Iggy will become will get out of there slumps and Luongo and/or Price will get a shutout.

Prepare for doom!
              Well-- While I AM preparing for doom, I am not facing your Ovechkin/Iggy/Price/ Luongo auction team. I am facing your team with Bert and Manny Fernandez and Datsuk and Huet.

Originally posted by mrboo123

I wish I could claim it my own, but I mised the draft. I DID play with the auto list, and I DID pick put Bert who gave me 4 goals though...
              So the auto pick is leading our league ????

So thanks. I had a good week in the Auction league too
              Me too. -- I still can't believe you got Ovechkin and Iginla. Once Iggy gets untracked that duo could put up some big numbers for you
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Use [ code ] Flubber ... Still not perfect, you need to paste it in from a particular source I think to get the tabs right (maybe copy it into Excel first?).

Code:
                Rank   Team W-L-T Pct Pts Last Week Waiver Moves 
                1.   Haunted House Boos 8-2-6 .688 22 6-0-2 4 4 
                2.   Ice Hawks                  7-3-6 .625 20 5-1-2 8 - 
                3.   Road Kill                     9-6-1 .594 19 3-4-1 11 3 
                4.   Flubber's Folly            8-5-3 .594 19 6-1-1 5 8 
                5.   The Pantless Pirates  8-5-3 .594 19 4-3-1 14 9 
                6.   Derelique My Balls      8-6-2 .563 18 4-4-0 13 - 
                7.   Matthew Modines       7-5-4 .563 18 2-5-1 2 1 
                8.   Kanadiens                  7-6-3 .531 17 5-2-1 3 - 
                9.   Blaine's Bruisers         7-7-2 .500 16 3-5-0 12 - 
                10.   Malicious Pacifists     7-8-1 .469 15 1-6-1 7 5 
                11.   Calamitous Intent     7-9-0 .438 14 5-3-0 1 - 
                12.   CrONoS_QC              6-8-2 .438 14 4-4-0 6 1 
                13.   Televised Hawks       1-10-5 .219 7 1-5-2 10 2 
                14.   Siddiqui Storm           2-12-2 .188 6 0-6-2 9 1
                Code:
                Rank   Team W-L-T Pct Pts Last Week Waiver Moves 
                1.   Flub-auction              15-1-2 .889 32 8-0-1 2 1 
                2.   Trouserless Trouts    10-6-2 .611 22 6-3-0 8 5 
                3.   The House of Boos    10-7-1 .583 21 6-2-1 5 1 
                4.   Calamitous Intent       7-9-2 .444 16 2-5-2 7 2 
                5.   Ice Hawks                   6-9-3 .417 15 5-2-2 4 - 
                6.   Bamboo Hoser            6-10-2 .389 14 0-8-1 3 - 
                7.   AuctionHawks             5-10-3 .361 13 2-6-1 6 - 
                8.   Derelique My Balls       5-12-1 .306 11 3-6-0 1 3
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• I use notepad and add spaces.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

Well-- While I AM preparing for doom, I am not facing your Ovechkin/Iggy/Price/ Luongo auction team. I am facing your team with Bert and Manny Fernandez and Datsuk and Huet.
                    Which remainds me. Datsyuk or Frazen is available for a goalie upgrade. Please PM your offers.

So the auto pick is leading our league ????
                    In a way, yes. Like I said, I shuffled a few players around the top 30 autopick list one day, but that was it

Me too. -- I still can't believe you got Ovechkin and Iginla. Once Iggy gets untracked that duo could put up some big numbers for you
                    Me neither. Actually, I can't believe how good my team is having to watch for the most of it. That and how Luongo fell in my lap...
                    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

• Originally posted by mrboo123

Which remainds me. Datsyuk or Frazen is available for a goalie upgrade. Please PM your offers.

A Datsyuk could shake free some decent guys but I will say this -- in a 14 manager league goaltending is pretty dear--

Me neither. Actually, I can't believe how good my team is having to watch for the most of it.
                      Why were you "watching most of it" -- Did it have to do with spening almost half of your budget on two players early ? It is pretty obvious though that ALL of the auction teams are pretty strong-- an 8 manager league will do that for you. My strategy was the opposite of yours in that I held back and bid more on midrange players that I saw as more of a value and to have a few bucks left at the end to pick up some good values. As it turned out there were still pretty fine players going for a buck at the end.

That and how Luongo fell in my lap...
                      A great goalie to have-- I forget what you ended up paying for him but I wasn't really in the bidding for him as I went for Nabokov/Lundeqvist and Osgoode. My only knock on Luongo was I didn't really know that he would win as much as the above three. The Canucks have overall looked better than I expected so far so that Luongo will probably work out great. I would not at all be shocked however if Price turns out to put up even better numbers

Comment

• Asher

I know the Flames and Kipper have typically sucked early the last few seasons but the Flames are pretty close to being last in the league.

My problem/fear is that I do not see a good commiitment to team defense on the Flames ( the diligence to the backcheck exhibited by the Oilers was a noticeable contrast) PLUS we are in no way guaranteed that Kipper will return to star status

Two years ago he started slow but came on and by the playoffs he was amazing.; I know the Flames went out in 6 to Detroit that year but that was due to being badly badly outplayed and Kipper was otherworldly-- he was so good.

Last year, I found that Kipper was never much more than an "average" number one type NHL goalie-- capable of a great night-- but nothing special-- He was super inconsistent in the SJ series.

The question becomes what happens if Kipper does not come back to moderately great status. Sutter seems to be still highly regarded but how long will the patience last for teams that squeak into the playoffs and then bow out.

On the flip side-- I like some of his acquisitions this year cammaleri and bert have looked really good and the rest of the lineup looks faster and a little grittier. I actually hold out hope that this team will turn out to be better than the last couple of years-- But that will require some better team defense AND some better goaltending whether from Kipper or someone else---- I actually think that it may be time to try the backup guy-- Playing KIpper every game doesn't seem to be doing the trick so why not give him a rest-- In most clubs its not uncommon to actually play your second goalie a bit

Comment

• Agreed on all counts.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Maybe the Blackhawks could offer you some goalie help...
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Khabibulin would not be welcomed in Calgary, even if he did have a reasonable salary.

Comment

• The Oilers organization continues to class it up.

Oilers players charging for autographs

Signatures going for $25 a pop

dmonton — An autograph signing featuring two Oilers players yesterday afternoon left some fans shaking their heads at having to pay $25 for the quick scribble.

“I actually had a buddy that came here and he actually left because he had to pay $25 to get just an autograph,” said Oilers fan Byron Hall at the Polish Veterans’ Hall. 9203 144 Ave.

He was one of many fans who paid the $6 to get into the Edmonton sports collectibles show, where Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano sat at a table and signed their names for $25 a pop.

“It’s a touchy subject,” he added when asked how he felt about having to pay for the two young players’ autographs. “It’s kind of bad ... they could do it for free.”

Hall and Christie Frost had paid the price, but said it was not worth it “for the five seconds,” it took the players.

“You pay enough for the damn tickets,” Frost said.

It’s not clear where the money was going, but several people working the event – who didn’t want to be identified – confirmed that it wasn’t for charity.

The show was put on by Bossa Shows, and AJ Sportsworld was in charge of the signing.

Cogliano and Gagner were to sign between 1 and 2 p.m., but left moments after 1:45 p.m.

Both players’ base salaries are over US$800,000 per year.

Cogliano said the signing was part of his contract with AJ Sportsworld, but declined to comment further after being told not to talk to media.

Gagner, looking at the table in front of him and slumping his shoulders when asked why they’re charging fans, declined to answer.

Management from AJ Sportsworld also refused to be interviewed. A worker speaking on behalf of AJ Sportsworld said: “They have expenses (and) the players have expenses.”

That explanation didn’t sit well with some fans.

“You figure they could maybe do the community kind of a solid and show up for the kids kind of thing,” said Oilers fan Derek Paton, who was at the event wearing a a team jersey.

“I guess like anything else it’s big business. I just hope they balance it some ways. They go to a place like this, they get paid for signings like this and hopefully they stick around maybe the rink after and do it the other way too. Do it the old-fashioned way.”

Others, like collectibles dealer Leeon Hage, shrugged the matter off.

“I’m kind of used to it. I pay for autographs all the time,” he said. “It’s a good opportunity ... I know I’m going to meet them, I know I’m going to shake his hand and I know I’m going to get an autograph.”

Curtis Jones, another fan, said the event was the highlight of his day and he did not mind dropping $100 on a few personalized autographs.

Comment

Working...
                                X