AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kontiki
    Too bad the league seems like it's going to be smaller. I liked having a greater variety of opponents and it made both the draft and later manipulation of rosters more interesting. I remember in years passed when you could easily pick up point-per-game players from the undrafted pool. I personally find it much better when you need to scrounge for more marginal talent from that pool.

I find it interesting the different viewpoints on this. You like it when the undrafted talent is sparse while snoopy is opposite as he seems to want some good players left undrafted
    Last edited by Flubber; August 25, 2008, 14:56.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

More marginal than point per game, sure. That's not what I said, though... I said I don't want worthless players only on the waiver wires. Good != not worthless...

I'm happy with players who are marginal contributors, i.e. players who will sometimes contribute at the 'average' level, and sometimes will underperform, being the main waiver wire crew. I don't like it when you have people who always perform well, nor when you have nobody who can perform, on the waiver wire.

I also like the strategy of having a shorter bench and having to make a tough decision. To be honest, the big thing a large bench allows is the same thing you did before (to a lesser extent) - overmanaging to maximize your games played. The bigger bench you have, the harder that is.

This is one reason a weekly update league for something like baseball is better... I wonder how well that would work for hockey? (IE, setting your lineup on Sunday, for the next week, and not being able to change it)
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Outstanding matters

1. Commish -- NYE did it last year and I wondered if he would do it again

2. Roster size-- I believe the opinion is 4-2 in favor of increasing the size by one

3. Stats- seems like same as last year-- Although if "hits" is a possible stat I would like to revisit this (yahoo hockey says their league registration stuff will be up at the end of the month so we will see then if there are any other stats possible)

4. Draft day -- I suggested Sept 2 to accomodate Kontiki- and most people have been silent although NYE did raise the valid point that information may be scarce at that point and we may not know the status of some injured folks

We need to start deciding some stuff if we do do a draft starting Sept 2.

OH and what do we do if we end up with an odd number of teams? Do we create a BPAY team (drafting in its turn ) which has a set lineup each week?
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can have an odd number of teams - it just means that someone has a bye each week. Could be wrong, though.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

BTW: Any chance we could do a live draft? I can do the regular one as long as it starts early enough, but I think a live draft, at least for the first few rounds, would be fun. I can accommodate it any weekend day or weekday evening as long as I have enough notice to keep my schedule clear.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I'm up for a live draft, same rules as Kontiki, though some saturdays are a problem (so sunday is better, or weeknight, though that presents its own problem re: timezones).

Comment

I can't do it Sundays, Jesus would be too upset with me.

I guess, for you guys, I can do it.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Your willingness to compromise for the game brings a tear to my eye ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                    BTW: Any chance we could do a live draft? I can do the regular one as long as it starts early enough, but I think a live draft, at least for the first few rounds, would be fun. I can accommodate it any weekend day or weekday evening as long as I have enough notice to keep my schedule clear.
                    Its a possibility for me but my ability to ever be continually at the computer are limited. How fast do the rounds come around? I probably could have some contingent picks and send them to the person that drafts immediately after me or something.

I'm assuming with some contingent picks and showing up every hour or so, one could still be able to fully participate in a live draft/ Or does it move much faster than that? What are typical BPAY time limits for a live draft?

Comment

The longest live draft I've ever been in was 1.5 hours later. It was an all-woman league and I was subbing for my friend who couldn't make it. Women...
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                        So I make it that we have 9 teams-- So its looking like a 10 team league
                        Give it a little time. I'm sure a few more people will roll in.

Also, yeah I'll do the commish thing.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Put me down for same roster size, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I'd also be interested in a live draft if possible, but I will be gone to the Stratford Festival mid-September for a few days.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            The longest live draft I've ever been in was 1.5 hours later. It was an all-woman league and I was subbing for my friend who couldn't make it. Women...
                            Was that 1.5 hours for a round?

I've never done one but my gut feeling would be most people could average 5 minutes even though the BPAY limit might be a little longer

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                              Put me down for same roster size, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I'd also be interested in a live draft if possible, but I will be gone to the Stratford Festival mid-September for a few days.
                              The one in Canada? You creep, stay away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

Was that 1.5 hours for a round?

I've never done one but my gut feeling would be most people could average 5 minutes even though the BPAY limit might be a little longer
                                No, for the full draft with 16 teams.

Most people know who they want when their turn comes up. It's the women that never know.

Comment

Working...
                                X